View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > >>
Author

The NEW HBH: Have your say!

Mr_Cheese

Uber Elite
Posted on 23-09-05 21:20
as you know HBH is going to move soon to a new site layout with new features/challenges/functions etc etc.

We already have soem great ideas for the site... but we want to know what YOU want.

Anything you would want to change / have included, tell us about it and we'll try out best to fit it in. Doesnt matter how big the idea is, we'll try to get it covered.

So.... what are your ideas?

http://www.hellboundhackers.org/
Author

RE: The NEW HBH: Have your say!

Your avatar

Posted on 23-09-05 21:33
n00b filtering as mentioned before..

by a n00b filter i mean like:

0-100 points can only do challenges.
101-200 points can do challenges and post in shoutbox
201-300 points can do challenges, post in shoutbox, and post articles.
301-400 points can do challenges, post in shoutbox, post articles, and use the forums.

Author

RE: Filter

Your avatar

Posted on 23-09-05 21:45
I kinda like the filter idea, but let's just not make it too strict, I think some of the stuff on there isn't a big deal if newbs use, like the shoutbox. Doesn't it protect from spamming anyway? If not, get on some spam protection! hehe

Although there is a shoutbox, and then that IRC chat, I think there needs to be a better way to do communication, because shoutbox does get abused, and isn't used for help, (Maybe a help shoutbox in addition on another page ? :-)).

Overall I would say that the site looks good, and I don't know how much needs changed.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-09-05 21:54
i think we should let anybody post (provided they sign up). this means newbs can ask for help.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-09-05 22:02
What if the filter restricted like under 100 points to only be able to post in a Newbie Central forum where they can ask for help.
But then you may have the issue of really good hackers not wanting to waste time on the challenges but have a lot to contribute.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-09-05 22:09
I think when a new user signs in for the first time then it should auto load to the new to hacking page, and put in big bold underlined text saying the main rules.. like not to ask for the answers, not to flame, sont be an ass to other members, etc etc?

it might save some time in the long run?Wink

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-09-05 22:12
@Xero:
in the case of a talented hacker not wanting to do the challenges we can have like a contact form that will forward PM's to all the administrators and if the administrators good of judgement thinks he/she deserves access they grant it.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-09-05 23:06
Why would an experienced hacker not want to do any challenges?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-09-05 23:19
Because they're lame?

they being the challenges

Edited by on 23-09-05 23:20
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 00:22
NO ARTICLE FILTERING - That is a dumb dumb dumb idea. Even though it'd be easy to get 200 points, or whatever there was, some people may have some nice information to submit, yet, they're not good at web hacking or skills. You know, besides, it's already filtered by the administrators.

As for ideas of my own, i wouldn't mind having a challenge to be allowed on the rankings board. Just some level so that in the rankings board there are no members with 0 points. That's just dissapointing to see.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 00:23
im a newbie and i can appreciate the points filter as long as newbs have access to the challenge forums as a newb i do have a hard time sometimes but i would never ask for the answers just a nudge in right direction so al long as we can post questions showing we have at least googled to find
answer first and now are stuck i think filter would be just fine
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 00:33
Oh, i also do not respect the fact of a forums filter. A warn level would be fine (you know how those work), but to completely disallow access to forums unless they have....i think 301 points is not good. People have questions, people should be allowed to learn, if they're the type questions that should not be posted, add another notch to that warn level, and if they persist, then a disallow to the forums wouldn't be so bad.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 01:40
yes. nights_shadow idea is good. but set up a seperate forum specified strictly for noobs to use for posting questions, if that forum is abused the warn effect comes into play and the user will eventually get banned by him/her self. after whatever ammount of points the user gets access to more and more forum topics and the warning ability is still in play.

BUT wut if a user gets angry and begins to warn flood, as in banning users by warning over and over for no apparent reason...?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 01:49
No, users can't warn, only moderators and administrators (BTW, you know what would make the site better, making me a moderator Wink)

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 02:02
okay well heres wat i think about the newb infection. newbs should be able to access the forums and do what they need to do. they can ask questions. but if there is a pointless forum from now on the admins will delte it. (i.e. Im new and dont know how to hack. - Need the answer to this mission. and etc)

and to cut down on the pointless questions why dont we make a page for every mission with a short explaination provided for each mission. I know thats wat the articles are for but the articles are more of a walkthrough. this should be short info(i.e do this- use this etc)

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 02:16
Kind of defeats the purpose of doing a challenge by yourself..

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 02:23
true but thats wat the forums and articles already do ... but you only have to check them if you need a push

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 04:21
For everyone who's screaming freedom of information at the thought of restricting the forums needs to understand what I and I think some others mean.

Newbs will still be able to read (and reply?) throughout all of the forums. However, they can only start threads in a Newb Central type forum until they're "proven worthy" whether by good contributions with replies or with points and helpfulness.

So there isn't really a "restriction" on the information in other forums. And they can even contribute. This is just to put a STOP to all the "t34ch m3 t3h h4x0r" threads popping up in our intelligent forums.

Edited by on 24-09-05 04:24
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 07:02
Maybe when you sign up you could redirect to an initial challenge thats not to simple but not to hard just moderate and if you can pass it then you get a confirmation email sent to you to validate your account otherwise you dont but still have the chance to come back and try to beat the challenge to get on the site, that way we only have ppl who really want to learn on the site.
-Just a suggestion.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-09-05 10:08
I reckon that challenge to be ranked is a pretty good idea. Also, I like the help section but whats the difference between that and the normal help section. also I think some articles should be combined with others if they are very small, maybe even get people to write some froum threads up as articles delete some useless posts on help sections of fourums you now just to clear it up a little, delete pointless threads( like my step throat one....Smile) I'd help with some if it if you did this. I never got beta access even though I asked for it and I met the criteria...

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 > >>