Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author

Switching To Linux

Your avatar

Posted on 24-08-09 15:45
OK, I have decided after months of complaining about it to myself to switch to linux. I am after other peopls opinions on it. And before I get told to google it I already have.

I just want other peoples experiences of the diffrent distributions, such as which one you use, why you like it, how easy and whatever, basically a review.

I have already tried ubuntu and mint, mint was easier to get running but seemed sluggish, while ubuntu was a little akward but fast when it got started, what do you think?

Author

RE: Switching To Linux

Your avatar

Posted on 24-08-09 16:07
whatever works for you. I use Debian, but i've also used Ubuntu in the past.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-08-09 16:28
ok, another problem is wireless dongle compatability, I am using an internal belkin wireless card, not sure of the model, how can i find out if it will be compatable with linux?

EDIT: Ok sod it, windows has just crashed again, im installing ubuntu now and i dont care if my card is compatable

EDIT 2: Ok done it, and it is compatable, can anyone PM with a few tips on the finer points of this

Edited by on 24-08-09 17:14
Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 24-08-09 18:40
Orillian wrote:
Ok done it, and it is compatable, can anyone PM with a few tips on the finer points of this

Finer points of what? Wireless? Linux? Ubuntu? If it's Linux you're looking for details on, google and the man pages are your friends.

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 25-08-09 14:00
I use Ubuntu (because I'm lazy). So if you don't want too much hassle, then Ubuntu or Debian are probably good choices. However, there are some other great distros out there: Fedora (community distro from Red Hat), Mandriva, Arch Linux etc.

I depends on what you require really. Lots of choice though.

Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 26-08-09 00:05
ubuntu is a okay distro, great for welcoming beginners to linux. However when you start getting into more complicated stuff you sometimes want a distro that doesnt treat you like kid (feels that way to me, anyways). Unfortunately for me, the setup I have on my main system is ubuntu, and im reluctant to take it off because of the work it would take to get back to the nice setup its at right now :/

However, I have used other distros on my other machines. My opinion:

debian = good stability for servers, or if you like ubuntu but want a step up
ubuntu = great for beginners, not so much for everyone else
slackware = very unix like, however its out of date and package management system is terrible
fedora = didnt have much experience with, got annoyed at poor resolution support, however the irc community was really supportive.
DSL = great for usb sticks and such, would not recommend as a harddrive distro
Feather linux = my first experience with linux, designed to be rescue CD, and thats about all its good for
gentoo = great distro, however compiling takes forever, and speed bonus isnt all that much, but great community and package manager, not to mention all around support for almost every window manager and desktop environment

Of course theres gonna be people who differ on my opinion, so thats just my view of things Smile

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-08-09 04:22
knoppix is the way to go if you just want a normal distro i loved the feel and the way it worked but backtrack is the best thing ever it can do everything i even hear it can walk your dog for you lol but i think ubuntu is probably about the easiest to use in my opinion
Author

p4plus2

Your avatar

Posted on 26-08-09 06:19
Before you make a full switch to any Linux distribution, I recommend that you download a few distributions and try them in virtual box(http://www.virtualbox.org/). This will give you some familiarity with the installation process and if you make a mistake it won't matter to much. This also gives you the ability to compare several distributions and other things(such as gnome vs KDE vs XFCE). The distribution that you choose will also vary depending on what you plan on doing, for example Fedora has a build for hardware and electronic development(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/FedoraElectronicLab). Choosing a distribution is a choice that can only come from experimentation. http://distrowatch.com/ can help you find a distribution that fits what you are looking for however, that doesn't mean something else won't work better.

Download.
Try.
Repeat.

EDIT:damn smiles...

"You can't be something your not,
Be yourself by yourself
Stay away from me" ~Walk, Pantera

"Playing an acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on" ~Dave Mustaine

Edited by p4plus2 on 26-08-09 06:51
p4plus2@hotmail.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-08-09 06:22
Ubuntu's a good distro.. Backtrack IS ubuntu 8.10 with KDE3(why not 4? idk, Pfft) Ubuntu's good and has a strong community willing to help you. Great wireless support etc. Fedora is also really good but i can't stand there package manager (key reason i switched to Arch). But both ubuntu and fedora have strong forums for help etc good start, then move on to something else...ev1 does.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-08-09 08:26
p4plus2 wrote:
Choosing a distribution is a choice that can only come from experimentation.

this is very true.
well said

S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote:
Backtrack IS ubuntu 8.10 with KDE3(why not 4? idk, Pfft)

isn't backtrack based on slackware?
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 26-08-09 08:39
usr_name wrote:
p4plus2 wrote:
Choosing a distribution is a choice that can only come from experimentation.

this is very true.
well said

S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote:
Backtrack IS ubuntu 8.10 with KDE3(why not 4? idk, Pfft)

isn't backtrack based on slackware?

Not since the latest one, they switched to debian (according to wikipedia)

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-08-09 08:53
well i had no idea they did that i haven't downloaded backtrack4 yet so i guise i will do that tonight and check it out
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-11-09 05:04
They did indeed switch BT4 to Ubuntu (from slax) because Ubuntu is more regularly updated and has much wider support.

As for what to start with, the idea of virtualizing it is great as it lets you play with it in a stable environment and you dont have to do anything to your harddrive. Another option is to use a LiveCD (which BT4 is.) In this case, you just burn the .iso to a disk, pop it in a computer and reboot. Any changes you make will disappear after you reboot.

If you do go with the virtual route, I would suggest using VMWare over virtual box.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 26-11-09 08:00
Speaking of OS's would it be viable to run a server from a computer that i dont shut down often from a fedora virtualbox? Just curious.

As far as choosing one, i agree with getting the virtualbox thing. Get a couple, try , and if you don't like it, switch. If you like it, don't. Then you will find the right linux for you.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-11-09 08:10
Running the server inside a vm is actually a great idea, assuming you have the horse power to back it up. My internal wiki runs like that (for other reasons.) If the service is compromised and they gain access to the box they'll have to break out of the vm to do any damage to the rest of that machine. While it's not un-doable, it is an extra layer. Defense In-Depth.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-11-09 14:51
Tbh there isn't too much difference, do you like gnome or kde? not sure? get kde.
it wont kill you to run any distro but if you're not happy change.

my advice? Make a partition and just install linux on it use it for a week try a ne wone, once you decide what you like split it into two, roughly 5-10gb ( for /) and the lions share for /home which you don't have to format each time you deice to reinstall ( this is happily semi perminate)

it's like carrying your my documents and settings folder on windows.

if your settings are getting messed up you can try making a new user when you install the new system it'll set up a default "skel" home dir, copy it's files in your /home (fixxing some settings appropriate to the system (make sure you keep what you want safe) then
change id/gid of the files to your old one. otherwise you wont own your own files :)
do that like so:
Code

chown USERNAME:GROUP(USERNAME here too suauly) /home/USERNAME -R

like chown wolfmankurd:wolfmankurd /home/wolfmankurd -R

Edited by on 26-11-09 14:54
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-11-09 16:46
Running KDE or GNOME? Wolf, you must be stoned!
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-11-09 17:28
what do you use xfce?
It's getting more popular but something tells me not to reccomend it, cause I've never used it.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-11-09 19:30
wolfmankurd wrote:
what do you use xfce?
It's getting more popular but something tells me not to reccomend it, cause I've never used it.

xfce is even worse than GNOME and KDE combined. I'm currently using fluxbox, but I'm going to switch to openbox for the interactive scripting in the menu's.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-11-09 20:34
I recently switched to linux as well, i would say about a year now. Start off with one of the major distros, either Fedora, Ubuntu, or Debian. The install is really easy, it will take some time getting use to the different interface, coming from windows. One thing is always ask questions (or google) :-)

For the record, i run Mint now and LOVE IT

-HT

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >