Follow us on Twitter!
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself. - Galileo
Thursday, April 17, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 24
Guests Online: 21
Members Online: 3

Registered Members: 82818
Newest Member: Ahmed
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author

Problems with linux and VirtualBox

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 12:45
I am trying to run linux mint V.4.0 light, and after the installation is complete, and I refire up the VirtualBox all i get is the usual splash screen saying select boot device, then a black background and white cursor icon, and nothing else, I cannot interect with it or type or do anything on it in anyway,

Anyone got any ideas as to why this is? I thought VirtualBox was supposed to support linux.

Author

RE: Problems with linux and VirtualBox

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 14:09
OK I found out it was the disk, its shot, I got rid. And now im looking to use linux as a server, can anyone point me in the right direction? I have tried google but they seem to use commands and directorys that dont exist

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 04-09-09 14:37
First, grab some harddrive space you have left and form a new partition. Insert Debian net-inst cd. Reformat as ext3 and install Debian.

Select "server" from a drop-down menu you will be presented with during install, and aptitude will grab all the stuff you need. Don't forget to lock down everything, set up permissions correctly, make sure "su" is disabled and configure a proper working firewall.

Oh, before you do this, read up on Linux if you're a first time user. Or better yet, get a spare PC/Hard disk you can screw around with.

If something goes wrong, don't say I didn't warn you. You can come back here though, and ask some questions.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 14:45
I am going to have to download debian, I dont have a disk of it

EDIT: son of a, 7 hours to download, if anyone knows a Karoo manager let me know so i can shoot him

Edited by on 04-09-09 14:46
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 04-09-09 14:53
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/

[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 14:55
Only took me about 3 Wink. As spy said debians good server distro but good & easy usually == very shitty and unsecure out of the box, so as he said read up on it with specific emphasis on configuring it for maximum security.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 14:56
thats still three hours, for the net install

My internet connection SUCKS

Edited by on 04-09-09 14:57
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 18:56
Ok had a problem with the full install, for some reason virtual box wont read the ISO, and the burned disk, just says it doesnt exist

EDIT: got it again, diffrent kernels for diffrent cpu's, trying to find one compatable with mine

Edited by on 04-09-09 20:22
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 21:00
Orillian wrote:
Ok had a problem with the full install, for some reason virtual box wont read the ISO, and the burned disk, just says it doesnt exist

EDIT: got it again, diffrent kernels for diffrent cpu's, trying to find one compatable with mine

Wait what? Your making it sound more difficult than it is. Perhaps the download was corrupted. Re Download it(prefferably on a faster internet connection than previously said) and burn it to a DVD disc. Put it in the drive and install....(well partion blah blah, but u get the point). Incomplete ISO may also be reason Virtualbox doesn't work, again, just redownload and checksum.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 21:09
I dont think i am

Direct quote:This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU but only i1586 was detected, please use an appropriate kernel

Edited by on 04-09-09 21:09
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 21:18
Orillian wrote:
I dont think i am

Direct quote:This kernel requires an x86-64 CPU but only i1586 was detected, please use an appropriate kernel

http://www.debian.org/CD/torrent-cd/ <--use torrent.
Perhaps im misunderstanding something so are you trying to install 64bit on 32bit system? Make sure you download the i386 version. Again, maybe im misunderstanding something as ive only installed debian like once before..and your doing it from the internet install not direct download etc. Try just directly downloading it from HTTP/FTP or in torrent as i liked above.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-09-09 21:27
Yeah i have found a correct version, and its installing, when will i get the select server option? im up to downloading and installing parts of the software during the install and nothing yet

Got it, and its going to take ages to install, im doing this tomorrow

Edited by on 04-09-09 21:32
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 05-09-09 00:11
Well, if I remember correctly, the Debian net-inst will ask you what sets of packages you want at the end of the install. It's been a few months since I ran the installer though.

If it doesn't prompt you with any choices for packages, I recommend reading some tutorials on how to set up PHP, MySQL and Apache for Debian-based/linux systems.

You're always welcome to ask questions here.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
[/s
Author

p4plus2

Your avatar

Posted on 05-09-09 03:41
Since this is a server you are setting up, here are a few items you can in particular focus on fixing. This is not a complete list but can help many major security issues(better to be safe than sorry).

1. Make sure /tmp is mounted with noexec and nosuid if you already installed you can loopback mount it like so:
first run all of the following(google the commands you don't know and learn what they do)-
Code

cd /dev
dd if=/dev/zero of=tmpmnt bs=1024 count=100000
mke2fs /dev/tmpmnt
cd /
cp -R /tmp /tmp_backup
mount -o loop,noexec,nosuid,rw /dev/tmpmnt /tmp
chmod 0777 /tmp
cp -R /tmp_backup/* /tmp/
rm -rf /tmp_backup

Then add the following to fstab(at the bottom) using vi or whatever editor you choose-
Code

/dev/tmpmnt             /tmp                    ext2    loop,noexec,nosuid,rw  0 0

2. symlink /var/tmp to /tmp to do this you would run:
Code

rm -fR /var/tmp
ln -s /tmp /var/tmp

3. Make sure you add local_infile = 0 to your my.conf file then restart mysql.

4. Add several functions such as exec, popen, and apache_child_terminate to prevent people from executing malicious function from a vulnerable script.

5. Change the default SSH port by editing sshd_config change "#port 22" to "port XXXXX" then restart SSH with "service sshd restart"

6. Ensure SSHv1 is disabled.

7. Compile PHP with the suhosin patch.

8. Set up SSH to use only a public key and not over the net passwords.

9. GOOGLE!

10. GOOGLE AGAIN!

Good luck!

"You can't be something your not,
Be yourself by yourself
Stay away from me" ~Walk, Pantera

"Playing an acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on" ~Dave Mustaine
p4plus2@hotmail.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-09-09 14:35
Well its a local virtual server, so I am going to hack it then secure it that way, its experience for some work I am applying for, so I need some server/network security experience, so for now i will leave it unsecured and then secure it as i go along, secureing what i exploit

But seriously thanks for all the help guys, If i have any further questions I will let you guys know

Edited by on 05-09-09 14:39
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-09-09 16:28
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose? I mean, if your doing it to learn, no problem, as far as putting things into effect that you already know... but that leaves all the gaps in your knowledge unpatched, which may fly on your system, but not the person you'll be applying for's..

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-09-09 19:30
true, but combined with a team of 4 other people, it wont do much harm,

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-09-09 19:32
Hey do people recommend just command line or graphics too?

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 05-09-09 19:35
Nothing bloaty (no KDE or Gnome). You can just kill the WM if you don't need it.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
[/s
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-09-09 19:47
OK you are going to have to clarify some of these terms for me, I know what KDE and GNOME are, but what is WM?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >