Follow us on Twitter!
It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked. - Bj Palmer
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 16
Guests Online: 15
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82889
Newest Member: Geriztul
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author

New stuff?

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 21-08-10 17:04
Seeing as HBH has been, well dead, I figured I would create this thread. What would make you guys want to come back more often? More challenges, a new competition, or even something completely new?

Post your ideas here and let's see what we can get brewing.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

RE: New stuff?

Your avatar

Posted on 21-08-10 17:22
Programming challenges for the community preferably in no set language so everyone can participate.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 21-08-10 17:33
I was thinking of something like that a while back. Challenges that would take some time to do on paper but easier with a program. Such as: 1015th Prime, or the largest palindrome under 1 million.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 21-08-10 18:14
yours31f wrote:
I was thinking of something like that a while back. Challenges that would take some time to do on paper but easier with a program. Such as: 1015th Prime, or the largest palindrome under 1 million.

People go to project Euler/Spoj for that.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

techb

Moderate
Posted on 21-08-10 18:43
I vote competitions. I've yet been able to participate in one.
And more coding stuff.

www.userbars.com/74460/665255/337-7865-ubda3219.gif
kbcarte.wordpress.com
Author

fuser

Mad User
Posted on 21-08-10 19:39
stop being optimistic already.

you know, everyone here wants to contribute. so do I for sometime ago.

but look. the main person in charge of HBH is never around. I think absentee fathers tend to see their kids more often than Mr_Cheese has towards this site for god knows how long.

and the dev's team in a mess. so little contributions, and no one is accepting submissions, this site gets fucked so often, no new features, no new articles whatsoever. no work ever gets done on this site.

hell, even the newsletter team is practically dead. only me, futility and ynori7. Sure, the three of us can bang up some articles, while the rest of this site probably spends most of their time assuming something is broke when their answer to a challenge doesn't work, and bitch when the work is sub-par.

so, unless there's a revamp in management, I'd say stop being hopeful. You see why EG could easily beat us? they're better in us in several aspects, such as better challenges and more efficient management.

and whenever someone wants to make a challenge, everyone in here goes "oh, project euler has that already" "oh, hackm3 challs has that kinda thing as well" and the seniors sure as fuck ain't helpful in any regards regarding this site.

so, we need a revamp in management, better dev staff, and an improved attitude. I can be optimistic from time to time, but right now I'm just cynical.

img.userbarz.com/51/10006.png
img.userbarz.com/146/29144.gif
img.userbarz.com/99/19602.jpg
img.userbarz.com/4/600.png
img.userbarz.com/45/8814.gif
img360.imageshack.us/img360/9231/bfbarlr0.jpg
[url=http://userbarz.com/][img]ht
catinthecpu@hotmail.com
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 21-08-10 21:43
fuser wrote:
so, we need a revamp in management, better dev staff, and an improved attitude. I can be optimistic from time to time, but right now I'm just cynical.

That's exactly why I was so optimistic about that guy who wanted to 'buy' HBH a while back. Yeah, he was a stupid fuck (and probably a troll), but at least it would've been better than nobody at all paying attention to the site.

I'm not even sure why Cheese still wants ownership of HBH anyways, I mean how much is the ad space really worth to him?

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 21-08-10 23:24
stealth- wrote:
how much is the ad space really worth to him?

Considering 1/3 of the site most likely doesn't even see them or click on them.

Just because it is slow, doesn't mean it has stopped. I'm sure if someone made a worthwhile challenge, system or one of the other somewhat active devs would do it. The problem is, no-one really makes anything worth the time it would take.

I do agree with the fact that cheese is not active enough. He does need to find a new group to run the site. New stuff would make the site more active, therefore making cheese more money.

So, CHEESE: What is the problem?

Edited by yours31f on 21-08-10 23:33
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 22-08-10 02:37
MoshBat wrote:
There are fuckloads of challenges on the "waiting list", but nobody can be fucked to add them.
There are also some other top secret planS inVolviNg something that I'm apparently not allowed to tell you, but what d'you know, we're waiting on Cheese again.

LIBERATE SOURCES, DOWN WITH THE ADMINISTRATION.

[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-08-10 04:21
spyware wrote:
LIBERATE SOURCES, DOWN WITH THE ADMINISTRATION.

+1

Author

fuser

Mad User
Posted on 22-08-10 16:03
but how do we go around doing that?

and secondly, while this means that everyone in HBH can easily add content to the site without the need of an approval from an admin, almost anyone with a grudge against HBH (ie EG, DMZ) would find a way to corrupt the db, steal the passwords, drop the tables, etc.

so if we want to open HBH up to allow others to develop it, we need to increase the level of security, as well as more reliable backups since I anticipate more assjackery from our enemies, so we would be able to bounce back after an attack.

img.userbarz.com/51/10006.png
img.userbarz.com/146/29144.gif
img.userbarz.com/99/19602.jpg
img.userbarz.com/4/600.png
img.userbarz.com/45/8814.gif
img360.imageshack.us/img360/9231/bfbarlr0.jpg
[url=http://userbarz.com/][img]ht
catinthecpu@hotmail.com
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 22-08-10 17:50
fuser wrote:
but how do we go around doing that?

while this means that everyone in HBH can easily add content to the site without the need of an approval from an admin

You clearly don't understand the concept of distributed revisioning systems, forking code and requesting upstream merges.

Lrn2GIT.

[small]
- Carl Sagan

Edited by spyware on 22-08-10 19:25
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-08-10 18:51
The idea would be to speed things along, which will hopefully include patching known problems. I don't think that this would be a security risk. Someone makes a change, and it follows a chain of blame up to whoever finalizes it.

The bottleneck is cheese, or at least lack of anministration. So you guys don't have to make everything open source, just open it around the bottleneck. Making it so more people see the code could bring more traffic to the site too.

Edited by on 22-08-10 19:07
Author

jghgjb790

Your avatar

Posted on 22-08-10 20:48
We could implement a voting system. Every user has the ability to vote, but they get as many votes as they have CP. That way more experienced users get more votes, and noobs get less. And after the challenge is approved, we can vote to get rid of it.

Just an idea.

Please note that I have no idea what I'm talking about in the above post. Please do not make any assumptions that I have a clue what anything that I just wrote means. Thank you.
http://todaystopsite.site90.net
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-08-10 03:24
MoshBat wrote:
jghgjb790 wrote:
We could implement a voting system. Every user has the ability to vote, but they get as many votes as they have CP. That way more experienced users get more votes, and noobs get less. And after the challenge is approved, we can vote to get rid of it.

Just an idea.

You think that after we've pretty much said fuck all has been done for months that something like that is going to be implemented?

I think getting cheese to release the sources would be the first step. Additions could always be done on an email basis until something better like a voting system is made.

What's the worst case scenario with releasing the sources anyways? dead is dead.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-08-10 23:27
Like has been said, bollox to the polls etc let's just get some form of distributed version control. Git would be my choice.

This idea is completely pointless though, as most will be in this thread. Cheese will never read.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-08-10 23:27
Like has been said, bollox to the polls etc let's just get some form of distributed version control. Git would be my choice.

This idea is completely pointless though, as most will be in this thread. Cheese will never read.

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 25-08-10 00:11
Vector-fusion wrote:
He told me that he would sell HBH for 6k

Looks like he favoured me then.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 25-08-10 00:29
Vector-fusion wrote:
Looks like it. Is there anyway that the community could donate spare cash then if we get enough we could buy HBH from him and then it is own buy all of us instead of just one person ?

Not to be negative, but that would never work.
Even if our members had the spare cash around to donate $3000, which I seriously doubt, trying to keep site ownership "neutral" would be near impossible.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 25-08-10 01:20
Wait for it to be open source, then make our own?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >