View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Author

Multiple file support in code back

p4plus2

Your avatar

Posted on 25-05-09 23:56
*by multiple files I am talking about a project with multiple files*

A interesting feature for the code bank would be if we had the support for multiple files. The idea would help encourage more upload to the code bank and large programs as well, that would otherwise be a pain. I know I for one would have many files. This is a how I think it should work:

Submissions:
Javascript button to add new "file name" and "source" textboxes, and a type select box.
(type select would be vary for language for example header or C files., or html/js/php and so on)
The default file to be shown would be the first one.
(This also applies to type chosen, for example is php is the first language in the submission, then that will be the category it is added to)

Viewing:
The default file will load chosen by the method stated above.
A select box at the top or bottom(maybe even both?) the will list the other files.

Editing:
There could be a "edit all" button at the bottom for the author and a "edit this file" to edit just the current showing file.

Clarifying submissions a bit:
Basically, for the type is allows multiple file types per project. The file extension would be shown when viewing in the select box, allowing for header and main files easier. The first file is going to be the "main" file so the category for the submission will be chosen based on that file.

If any of the ideas are unclear, let me know so I can clear them up ASAP. Also, if anybody has any better ideas on how this could be done I'm all ears.

"You can't be something your not,
Be yourself by yourself
Stay away from me" ~Walk, Pantera

"Playing an acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on" ~Dave Mustaine

Edited by p4plus2 on 26-05-09 00:22
p4plus2@hotmail.com
Author

RE: Multiple file support in code back

Your avatar

Posted on 26-05-09 00:14
Too lazy to submit multiple times?
If not that then comment well, copy, paste, newlines, repeat. Gogogo!

If you're going to have multiple different types of files for one project or whatever you want to call it, how would it be clear which section it should be put in? Let's say you have, as you gave for an example, html, js and php. Which section will it end up in? Or will you have links to the main one or the sub files in all parts? Seems categorizing this'd be a bit hard.

Author

p4plus2

Your avatar

Posted on 26-05-09 00:21
I'm directing this towards the files being part of one project not individual files. Sorry I should have made that more clear *updates first post*

This would be to organize a project into one single entry without a million line breaks making it easier for other to read. Line breaks just seem much less efficient at posting multiple file project for other to view.

"You can't be something your not,
Be yourself by yourself
Stay away from me" ~Walk, Pantera

"Playing an acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on" ~Dave Mustaine

Edited by p4plus2 on 26-05-09 00:24
p4plus2@hotmail.com
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 26-05-09 00:35
I request the addition of having tarballs + checksums.

That is all.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-05-09 13:18
For this to happen, we would probably have to change a lot about how the code bank works, as multi file projects would need to be several code bank documents with the same id, or a group id that references them all. We would likely need a new category as COM said, and as for tarballs, thats probably a little towards the svn side.

As far as I'm aware, the code bank was introduced to share scripts, it was never intended to become a 'home' for projects.