Follow us on Twitter!
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself. - Galileo
Monday, April 21, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 28
Guests Online: 25
Members Online: 3

Registered Members: 82858
Newest Member: alexxkim
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 11 of 12 << < 8 9 10 11 12 >
Author

RE: God rank to easy?

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 30-10-08 11:45
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
Think of the least effort ways that you can contribute and, a lot of times, you'll find that you could contribute content in less time than it takes you to think of a witty flame or smartass comment.

Awesome quote B)

img230.imageshack.us/img230/724/uber0nsig3hj6.gif
http://uber0n.web. . .

Edited by Uber0n on 30-10-08 11:45
Nope http://uber0n.webs.com/
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 30-10-08 11:58
why not remove that box in whole and just move the forums up? then we could maybe add more rows for recent threads (not completely that though, thats way too many) and maybe add something different there?

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-08 12:04
yours31f wrote:
why not remove that box in whole and just move the forums up? then we could maybe add more rows for recent threads (not completely that though, thats way too many) and maybe add something different there?

The reason would be that we're not just a forum website. We have other types of content to highlight, so we need to put those at the top as well. To be honest, people will check the forums when they log in, regardless... so, those should actually be below the most recent site news and other news item. That goofy paragraph at the top needs to go... it just annoys the crap out of me every time I refresh. Pfft

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 30-10-08 12:14
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
Think of the least effort ways that you can contribute and, a lot of times, you'll find that you could contribute content in less time than it takes you to think of a witty flame or smartass comment.

You don't want witty flames and smartass comments? Those, sir, are signs of intellectual disrespect. Intellect should be encouraged. I say praise those who thwart their opponents with pseudo-deep replies, clever flames and Wikipedian-like madness.

Oh, and, saying 'fuck you' from time to time is pretty funny too.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-08 13:43
Zephyr_Pure wrote:

spyware wrote:
You don't want witty flames and smartass comments?

Well, of course we want to continue having those. I was just making the point that, in the time it takes to come up with a single witty flame or smartass comment, one piece of contributed content could be added. Small steps towards the big goal. Smile

So, anyone have any more suggestions? I've got a long list but, if there's anything else that someone can think of that needs to be done, then I want to get it all on the table now. That way, if we're doing a related change, we can just toss that one in at the same time and get things done quicker.

Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 30-10-08 15:09
yours31f wrote:
I think these should be the categories:

1) Newest challenges
2) Newest articles
3) Newest updates

I dont know if anyone already mentioned this, but that's pretty much the layout of the homepage for darkmindz. Might be a good strategy to take a look at things that have worked for other sites like that and see if we can implement them.

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-08 15:29
I know one small thing you could try to fix. The method for getting a exclusive membership via onebip (pay by phone) does not work. If it did I would have an exclusive membership Grin.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 31-10-08 04:57

SnigelSniper wrote:
Also that idea would be enough reason for it to be annoying. I doubt any visitor like those ads with the skip button since most people just ignore them and skip to the site. If anyone would like to see the latest updates the admins could just add a new page for it or maybe remove the Latest features on frontpage and add others. The latest one showing there is "HBH Bot" and its OLD, I can't find any reason to keep it either really.

I agree that an initial landing page would be annoying. As for my take on the updates and such at the top, I posted them on the last page. In a nutshell: latest articles, updates & challenges, and code bank.

Sorry, my bad. I didnt realise the annoying thing unless it was said.Next time i will do some useful contribution.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 31-10-08 11:48
M4zh4r wrote:
Sorry, my bad. I didnt realise the annoying thing unless it was said.Next time i will do some useful contribution.

The fact that an idea isn't going to be used doesn't devalue the contribution. We need ideas and, if the ideas sound good and get on the road to happening... Great. If not, oh well and we move on to the next idea. Smile

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 11-01-09 04:04
Alright guys, came up with two more ideas to add to the long list of possible improvements to the site which we can find here.

The first one is about the avatars and signatures we so proudly show off to eachother. To be more precise, the picture part of it since signatures can consist of text as well. I don't know how much space we have to play around with, but I was thinking that it might be good if every member would have the option to upload the picture they choose for their avatar/signature to HBH. The points to consider here are:
- each member would only get to upload one of each
- after uploading they can naturally delete and upload new ones if they wish
- each member only has access to the pictures he's uploaded for his own use
- no pictures from outside what you've uploaded for yourself can be used

This way people would get to store the pictures they use for their HBH profile here instead of relying on a third party, which basically means that whenever HBH is up, your pictures are up to be displayed.
Another thing that would be good with this is the ability to regulate the size of the pictures and thus the size of the signatures since we could disallow any picture greater than a certain size. Since some like to use those banners where they proudly display that they use google, or that they use firefox or that they prefer tea instead of coffee or any other such bollocks, we could maybe make it so that instead of one picture all we have is a size limitation where you can't upload more if their width is greater than the limits or the combined height of them all are greater than the set limits.

The second idea is a new type of challenge which would be a bit like the current web patching ones. What I was thinking is to show people some code and tell them what it's supposed to do, except there's one thing in the code that is incorrect for the given purpose and the person will have to find the flaw and explain the fault and what to do to correct it. The supplying of the answer will probably be a lot like the current logical challenges and would therefor take time away from staff to look through so not sure how enthusiastic any staff member would be about that.
Alternately it could also be a sort of code optimization where you're, like the previous example, supplied with a code, except this time it works as it should. However, the solution to how it works is at a point unnecessary or something along those lines and the person would have to supply a way to do the same thing more efficiently.
These sorts of challenges would be good for people to train in reading code and also, it could be a way to learn to recognize and get past many programming mistakes that are more or less common.

Now give some thoughts and input on this guys, girls and bunnies.

Author

RE: God rank too easy?

K3174N 420

Hacker Level 1
Warn Level: 69
Posted on 11-01-09 12:38
moshbat wrote:
For the record, I corrected the title. It was bugging me.

Kool, now you got the white, are you going to be everyones personal spell checker? XD

Pneumonoultramicroscolpicsilicovolcanoconiosis...
Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis actually.

Is that a yes? ^^

Thanks Yours31f!
img114.imageshack.us/img114/1497/keiran420cy2.jpg
Make poverty history... Cheaper drugs now! - Frank gallagher
[small][center]Einstein climbs to the top of Mt. Sinai to get close enough to talk to God.
Looking up, he asks the Lord...
"God, what does a million years mean to you?"
The Lord replies, "A minute."
"Einstein asks, "And what does a million pounds mean to you?"
The Lord replies, "A penny."
Einste

Edited by K3174N 420 on 11-01-09 12:56
http://keiran420.ueuo.com/
Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 11-01-09 12:55
K3174N 420 wrote:
moshbat wrote:
For the record, I corrected the title. It was bugging me.

Kool, now you got the white, are you going to be everyones personal spell checker? XD

K3174N 420 is back with his BS, and he fails immediately.

@COM: I don't think there is reason to waste server space for images of all the users, if they can be easily uploaded elsewhere on still very reliable and dedicated servers.
I really like the second idea though, correction of common errors offers a lot to learn, and optimisation of the code is even better! I see only problem with it, as you said yourself, each answer would have to be checked by the staff, which could be quite overwhelming Smile

[img][/img]img164.imageshack.us/img164/5713/perlvl0.jpg

clone4.freehostia.com/ubuntu_3.png
spyware - "They see me trollin'..."
<yaragn> ever seen that movie? The Matrix?
<yaragn> with those green lines of flying text?
<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 11-01-09 15:58
moshbat wrote:
And COM:
Do you know how much space those pictures could take up?

I'm pretty sure he is well aware of the space they would take up... as we discussed this idea over PM prior to him posting it here.

clone4 wrote:
@COM: I don't think there is reason to waste server space for images of all the users, if they can be easily uploaded elsewhere on still very reliable and dedicated servers.

Why should they be uploaded elsewhere if they are to be used here? So people can keep their HBH pics and MySpace pics in the same place? :whoa: The logic that would make such an idea viable would be the limitation of resolution size and file size for both the avatar (already done, actually) and the sig. That would also assist in enforcing a maximum sig size without us having to manually go remind someone that they're being an ass.

It all boils down to whether we can use the space on the server, which is a Cheese question. If you have space, why not use it?

clone4 wrote:
I really like the second idea though, correction of common errors offers a lot to learn, and optimisation of the code is even better! I see only problem with it, as you said yourself, each answer would have to be checked by the staff, which could be quite overwhelming Smile

As long as it's in PHP, I'm sure we'd be able to handle it. If anything, it would encourage more coding... which would feed our hungry Code Bank, too.

K3174N 420 wrote:

You might think you're funny... but, you're not. If you continue to post OT shit without contributing something useful to the topic, I'm going to give you warn. That goes for anyone else that OT's constantly, too.

Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 11-01-09 16:19
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
[quote]clone4 wrote:
It all boils down to whether we can use the space on the server, which is a Cheese question. If you have space, why not use it?
[quote]

Surely, on the other hand why waste the space with something that hasn't been necessary for a long time, and use the space for rather more useful purpose (now of course it depends how much space we have etc. and it depends on Cheese anyway, so... Grin)

[quote]
As long as it's in PHP, I'm sure we'd be able to handle it. If anything, it would encourage more coding... which would feed our hungry Code Bank, too.

I'm sure that we could do perl and C++/C as wellSmile so we would get some variety in the challenges as well, especially in perl I've seen recently some good stuff in code bank

[img][/img]img164.imageshack.us/img164/5713/perlvl0.jpg

clone4.freehostia.com/ubuntu_3.png
spyware - "They see me trollin'..."
<yaragn> ever seen that movie? The Matrix?
<yaragn> with those green lines of flying text?
<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-01-09 07:41
There already exists source code for a db_autopwn, which uses nmap/amap results for metasploit, and you can choose whether to suggest exploits by port number open, or by service. I don't think it has been released in a full add-on, but the source can be easily found on Google. I can't remember where I came across it. I'm pretty sure it uses MySQL or some SQL variety to store the results for each target and info on services/port numbers into a database. It would be sweet, however, to implement a full downloadable add-on.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-01-09 18:09
He is presumably referring to the discussion about what to do for the coding competition, part previous to my new post.

Author

Mouzi

Posted on 12-01-09 18:55
I don't know if this topic is about the god rank (or the ranking system all in all) anymore and I don't know if someone has already suggested this since I don't have the time to read all the pages I've missed right now, but shouldn't the different ranks be based on what's your position on the ranking list? That way no matter how many challenges there would come it won't become easier to get for example the god rank.

izuom.net/sig.gif
Steganographs
You would try to hack it anyways.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-01-09 18:57
@Mouzi: you really should read it all then.

Percentage based system discussed and concluded, was the first logical step in the direction of general improvement based on the starting topic.

Author

Mouzi

Posted on 12-01-09 19:00
:P I guess that was inevitable. Which page was it on?
EDIT: nevermind, found it, gotta read what I've missed ->

izuom.net/sig.gif
Steganographs

Edited by Mouzi on 12-01-09 19:03
You would try to hack it anyways.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-01-09 23:25
i am posting in this thread to demonstrate my great interest in the discussions contained therein. o wait, wrong thread

Page 11 of 12 << < 8 9 10 11 12 >