Follow us on Twitter!
The measure of a mans life is not how well he dies, but how well he lives.
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 23
Guests Online: 22
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82904
Newest Member: jamessmith123
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 9 of 12 << < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Author

RE: God rank to easy?

Your avatar

Posted on 26-10-08 16:32
Or you could set up a server with services with known exploits. For instance a ftp service with a known buffer overflow, DoS, or DDoS vulnerability and then let people experiment in a controlled legal environment.

Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 26-10-08 16:37
It's more fun if it isn't a known exploit though - googling for a PoC is more 'skiddie competition' than finding vulnerabilities yourself Wink

img230.imageshack.us/img230/724/uber0nsig3hj6.gif
http://uber0n.web. . .
Nope http://uber0n.webs.com/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-10-08 16:59
Uber0n wrote:
It's more fun if it isn't a known exploit though - googling for a PoC is more 'skiddie competition' than finding vulnerabilities yourself Wink

True :happy: but it would be a good way for noobs to experiment (legally) and really see how an exploit works. The competition would be all the new exploits found though for sure Grin.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-10-08 17:05
An idea similar to this was already brought up to me via PM about a week ago, actually... the idea was for a sandboxed web application environment that was actually part of this site. VIrtual machines would be great for this, too... or spare machines. I like the idea, but don't see it coming in the immediate future.

Honestly, I think the easiest competition to organize next would be a programming competition, so let's try to center our creative energy on ideas for those for the moment. Then, while the programming competition is going on, plans and ideas can be put together for the "hacking competitions" or realistic environments or whatever.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 26-10-08 17:20
I agree, we should work on this site in priorities, so, i would say a programming compition, and during, the site get its beautification, then we could have say another challenge, and do the same.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 27-10-08 15:05
First let me thank and congratulate at the same time everybody that got involved in this thread and subsequently in the changes that followed(especially then Zeph, ynori and root). It was very fast transition from planning of the changes to the actual execution, which I consider great success. I've just started on the general FAQ for the challenges, so just letting everybody know that I'm really working on it as I said; so the articles for the challenges can be cleared out later on.
Also one more thing, I was thinking it would be good idea to update the FAQ(can look into it as well), and once that would be done, a pm would be send to every new member, with the welcome message, but also including link to this FAQ and 'strongly recommending' to read through it...
And when I mentioned Pms, I think it would be also really good, if after submission of the article etc. person would get pm whether it was accepted or rejected ( or just if it was rejected...Smile)

[img][/img]img164.imageshack.us/img164/5713/perlvl0.jpg

clone4.freehostia.com/ubuntu_3.png
spyware - "They see me trollin'..."
<yaragn> ever seen that movie? The Matrix?
<yaragn> with those green lines of flying text?
<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 27-10-08 20:04
clone4 wrote:
I've just started on the general FAQ for the challenges, so just letting everybody know that I'm really working on it as I said; so the articles for the challenges can be cleared out later on.

Great man ^^ I've finished and sent in the lists of all articles to be deleted except for the challenge ones (still working on them - it's kinda hard to decide which ones to remove) Pfft

I think it would be also really good, if after submission of the article etc. person would get pm whether it was accepted or rejected ( or just if it was rejected...Smile)

Yeah, that'd be very good Grin

Author

Futility

God
Posted on 27-10-08 20:13
clone4 wrote:
Also one more thing, I was thinking it would be good idea to update the FAQ(can look into it as well), and once that would be done, a pm would be send to every new member, with the welcome message, but also including link to this FAQ and 'strongly recommending' to read through it...

I actually think this would be a great idea. The FAQ now is short and vague. It could definitely use a rewriting. Hell, I think I'll write up a rough draft now and run it by the others. New members should be automatically linked to it, as well. We know the questions that are asked frequently. They don't.

Maybe this can even serve as a set of forum rules. "Can I post links to sites I hacked?" "No". Stuff like that. Because the mediocre listing we have now is useless.

And when I mentioned Pms, I think it would be also really good, if after submission of the article etc. person would get pm whether it was accepted or rejected ( or just if it was rejected...Smile)

You do... At least, I think you do. There's an area for comments before you (I) reject it, so I'm assuming you get those comments. If not, then that should be fixed. I hate not knowing what's going on.

I was so wrong. It is physically impossible for me to have been any less right. I could have sworn that I sent comments such as "Another article on this subject is not necessary" and "This article redefines the word horrendous". I guess not, though. Hmm...

Since we're on the subject of PMs I've got a few suggestions, as well. When you go to preview a PM you see the HTML tags, rather than the actual layout, which doesn't really help anything. And I'm pretty sure this is part of root_op's Notification System, but maybe some way for it to check to see if the person you are PMing has room in their inbox before the page changes. Because I hate writing up a huge beautiful message, then having it 'disappear' because the person didn't have room to accept it.

i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/zanimabean/Zim.png

Edited by Futility on 27-10-08 20:22
Futility91@hotmail.com Futility91
Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 27-10-08 21:16
Futility wrote:
When you go to preview a PM you see the HTML tags, rather than the actual layout, which doesn't really help anything. And I'm pretty sure this is part of root_op's Notification System, but maybe some way for it to check to see if the person you are PMing has room in their inbox before the page changes.

No, it was because I found an XSS where the textarea could be escaped in the PM preview, and when it was patched htmlentities() was added both to the preview and the textarea and not only the textarea. Should be an easy fix Wink

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 27-10-08 23:40
clone4 wrote:

Proposed that to Cheese eons ago. I'll put it on my list and try to push it through. Usually, I wait to decline a person's article until I can tell them here why it got rejected.

Futility wrote:
I actually think this would be a great idea. The FAQ now is short and vague. It could definitely use a rewriting. Hell, I think I'll write up a rough draft now and run it by the others. New members should be automatically linked to it, as well. We know the questions that are asked frequently. They don't.

Maybe this can even serve as a set of forum rules. "Can I post links to sites I hacked?" "No". Stuff like that. Because the mediocre listing we have now is useless.

I look forward to the FAQ rewrite because, as you said, our current one just sucks. The forum rules are due for a rewrite... that is very true. I think I may bundle that with the code bank rules and toss in the article submission rules as well. Those are all needed now.

Futility wrote:
maybe some way for it to check to see if the person you are PMing has room in their inbox before the page changes. Because I hate writing up a huge beautiful message, then having it 'disappear' because the person didn't have room to accept it.

Yeah, that really sucks. I say we just get a "back to message" link that posts the message text back into the textarea. Probably the best alternative out of a few.

Uber0n wrote:
No, it was because I found an XSS where the textarea could be escaped in the PM preview, and when it was patched htmlentities() was added both to the preview and the textarea and not only the textarea. Should be an easy fix Wink

Agreed. Where's that "root_op" guy? Pfft

Author

K3174N 420

Hacker Level 1
Warn Level: 69
Posted on 28-10-08 10:21
kiyoura wrote:
Other then the flames, criticisms, and replies questioning ones common sense, this seems to be a very long, pointless thread.

especially if no one's going to do anything about it; although I may be wrong, just what it seems to me.

I think you couldn't be more wrong.

Even if not one of the suggestions brought forward here was implemented, the discussion and insight of some some of the replies here are worth it.

Not to mention that i am 100% confident that at least ONE of these suggestions will be used to enhance this site... If not more.

Plus if all else fails... Zeph got a new sig quote out of it... ^^

Thanks Yours31f!
img114.imageshack.us/img114/1497/keiran420cy2.jpg
Make poverty history... Cheaper drugs now! - Frank gallagher
[small][center]Einstein climbs to the top of Mt. Sinai to get close enough to talk to God.
Looking up, he asks the Lord...
"God, what does a million years mean to you?"
The Lord replies, "A minute."
"Einstein asks, "And what does a million pounds mean to you?"
The Lord replies, "A penny."
Einste
http://keiran420.ueuo.com/
Author

Futility

God
Posted on 28-10-08 11:41
kiyoura wrote:
Other then the flames, criticisms, and replies questioning ones common sense, this seems to be a very long, pointless thread.

especially if no one's going to do anything about it; although I may be wrong, just what it seems to me.

No one's going to do anything about it... Idiot. This is why I hate people. Sure, some pessimism is OK thrown in here and there when the situation deserves it, but things here are already being done. A competition is under way, which seems like it's going to actually work. The code bank is completely cleaned and Zephyr is watching over it to keep it that way. I'll have a FAQ written up by later today (sorry it's taking so long, but school work is more important that this. And I don't want to rush it.) Other admins are taking interest and becoming more active. Hell, the site itself seems more active. And for what? A completely pointless thread? I beg to differ.

Futility wrote:
When you go to preview a PM you see the HTML tags, rather than the actual layout, which doesn't really help anything. And I'm pretty sure this is part of root_op's Notification System, but maybe some way for it to check to see if the person you are PMing has room in their inbox before the page changes.

Those were actually two different ideas. I wrote it poorly. I didn't think the HTML tags had anything to do with root_op's notification system. I thought that the saving of your PM would. My bad. Pasting the text back into the textarea would definitely work, but why not actually use the outbox? I've been here for a while now, and I've never seen a message in there. For a quick fix, why don't you have it save messages there before they're sent? That way if it doesn't go through, you can still retrieve it. And if it does, you've still got a copy, just in case.

i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/zanimabean/Zim.png
Futility91@hotmail.com Futility91
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 28-10-08 11:58
kiyoura wrote:

Well... that's what happens when you jump in at the end of a long thread. As for "no one doing anything about it", I appreciate the fact that you have neglected to notice one of the long overdue changes that happened because *I* pushed it through. The rest of the active admins are more than willing to work to improve the site, and have been doing so already... even some of the members are working towards that. Here's a nice cozy list, for those that haven't noticed:

1. root_op coded the syntax highlighting in the code bank and created the new categories. I'm sure he'll be moving on to the next thing on the list.
2. Futility took a situation of having no CSS experience and turned it into a well-commented CSS file for the theme competition thread, proving that any member could enter.
3. Uber0n offered to go through the articles and has... and I have a long list of ones that need to be removed. I'm currently negotiating to make this happen.
4. ynori noticed misplaced Code Bank code and went through some of the code bank sections to send me a list, which I corrected immediately.
5. chinchilla3k tossed me a number of good future challenge ideas via PM over the past couple weeks.

So, to recap... That looks like a whole hell of a lot of someone doing shit about it. If it wasn't a case where something would actually happen (as it already has) from the suggestions, then I wouldn't have stickied this thread, either. That being said... let's get back to the improvement suggestions.

Futility wrote:
why not actually use the outbox? I've been here for a while now, and I've never seen a message in there. For a quick fix, why don't you have it save messages there before they're sent? That way if it doesn't go through, you can still retrieve it. And if it does, you've still got a copy, just in case.

Or we could just change the outbox to "Sent Items" and have those stored right before the message is sent, whether it goes through or not... which may be exactly what you said. Either way, it's going on the list. :happy:

Edited by on 28-10-08 12:03
Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 28-10-08 14:03
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
1. root_op coded the syntax highlighting in the code bank and created the new categories. I'm sure he'll be moving on to the next thing on the list.
The new code bank is really sexy Grin great job root_op!

2. Futility took a situation of having no CSS experience and turned it into a well-commented CSS file for the theme competition thread, proving that any member could enter.
Competitions definately make the community more active; not only because some people will submit their own solutions but it also shows that the site is alive and that new things actually happen. The updated CSS comments make it easier for unexperienced members, who actually have a chance to win against the "old guys" without prior CSS knowledge ^^

4. ynori noticed misplaced Code Bank code and went through some of the code bank sections to send me a list, which I corrected immediately.
This has been needed for a long time :happy:

5. chinchilla3k tossed me a number of good future challenge ideas via PM over the past couple weeks.
Can't wait to see some of those! B)

EDIT: I forgot something very important; Zephyr_Pure - you're a kick-ass resource for this community! I'm really glad you're organizing the updates and keeping us informed about what happens and how we can help Wink

Edited by Uber0n on 28-10-08 14:04
Author

Parker

Posted on 28-10-08 17:44
Uber0n wrote:
very important; Zephyr_Pure - you're a kick-ass resource for this community! I'm really glad you're organizing the updates and keeping us informed about what happens and how we can help Wink

Amen!

[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b153/Golden_Lemur/parkersig.png [/img]

Cheers Lemur

The Ultimate security will not protect you, it is your understanding of reality that will. - ZoDoom

The 1st thing to do, is to have "certainty" that it is not a hardware problem! - RootsBabilonia
silance@hotmail.co.uk
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 02:09
Uber0n wrote:
very important; Zephyr_Pure - you're a kick-ass resource for this community! I'm really glad you're organizing the updates and keeping us informed about what happens and how we can help Wink

Parker wrote:
Amen!

Thanks, guys. I just wanted to see this site improve, and it wasn't... I tried as a regular member but, as I quickly found, it takes an admin's touch to push through the requests. So, that's it: if a normal member could inspire those changes, I wouldn't be an admin. Since a normal member couldn't, this thread is stickied and relevant to give the community a voice. The community knows what needs to happen... we just needed someone to listen.

So, let's get on with the ideas... props are good and all, but I know I'm doing what needs to be done. Let's talk about what needs to happen for the site and the community. Smile

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 29-10-08 02:14
I really like how active one thread has made this thread. As such, I would like to help. All I need to know is what you would like me to do. just tell me. If I don't know how, I will learn how to.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 02:21
yours31f wrote:
I really like how active one thread has made this thread. As such, I would like to help. All I need to know is what you would like me to do. just tell me. If I don't know how, I will learn how to.

Learn how to locate site improvements and propose them. That's what we need now.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 29-10-08 02:25
My "problem" with that is I like to see change. I don't mind hearing about what would be good, But i would rather implement them. I have proposed a few things, and I hope more people do the same. I am just a hands on person.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 02:35
yours31f wrote:
My "problem" with that is I like to see change. I don't mind hearing about what would be good, But i would rather implement them. I have proposed a few things, and I hope more people do the same. I am just a hands on person.

You are fully capable of seeing change by actively inspiring change. You cannot "implement" change at this moment because you are unstable and your usefulness is debatable. I cannot "implement" change because I am a new staff member, though my PHP experience is great. Understand... you cannot always be the instrument of change; sometimes, you have to take enough pride in finding solutions to find ones that the instruments will gladly follow.

You cannot lead others until you learn how to lead yourself successfully. The end.

Page 9 of 12 << < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 >