Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Author

CP for Articles and Code

ynori7

God
Posted on 28-10-08 02:09
Maybe it has already been thought of, but I just had an idea that could potentially help to improve the quality of articles and code submissions.

As the system is now, everyone gets 15 community points for each article that gets accepted. I think that instead of that, community points should be added or subtracted depending on the rating, and the same for the code bank. For example:
Awesome = +2 cp
Very Good = +1 cp
Good = +0 cp
Average = -1 cp
Poor = -2 cp

This way, a crappy article will get poor ratings which will decrease the author's cp, which is something that would create a bit more incentive to do a good job when writing articles. And at the same time it would reward the people who do an outstanding job and get 20 awesome ratings.

What do the rest of you think?

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

RE: CP for Articles and Code

Your avatar

Posted on 28-10-08 02:24
I had a nice reply typed up, but I got logged out while posting it. :whoa:

ynori7 wrote:
As the system is now, everyone gets 15 community points for each article that gets accepted. I think that instead of that, community points should be added or subtracted depending on the rating, and the same for the code bank.

Good idea, but it should be weighted to prevent people from "pooring" you into a black hole out of spite. After all, good ratings are worth more than the bad ones that aren't accurate. Here's a weighted scale:

Awesome = +5 cp
Very Good = +3 cp
Good = +1 cp
Average = -2 cp
Poor = -3 cp

Also, there are talks in progress about making CPs actually be used for something, instead of just being a gauge of how useful you are. Not going into more detail until anything concrete develops. Anyways, just threw that out... and those are my thoughts on the original topic.

Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 28-10-08 04:50
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
I had a nice reply typed up, but I got logged out while posting it. :whoa:

Yeah, I hate it when that happens, so I've gotten into the habit of copying my replies before hitting post. But of course the one time you forget is the time it matters.

Good idea, but it should be weighted to prevent people from "pooring" you into a black hole out of spite. After all, good ratings are worth more than the bad ones that aren't accurate.

That makes sense to me. The scale I wrote was more just to visually show reader what I was talking about, rather than what I actually thougth would be the best way to scale it.

Also, there are talks in progress about making CPs actually be used for something, instead of just being a gauge of how useful you are. Not going into more detail until anything concrete develops. Anyways, just threw that out... and those are my thoughts on the original topic.

Hm, maybe make certain forum categories only open to people with a certain number of cp. Or maybe the votes of people with more community points could count for more when rating articles and such.

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 28-10-08 06:15
ynori7 wrote:
Hm, maybe make certain forum categories only open to people with a certain number of cp. Or maybe the votes of people with more community points could count for more when rating articles and such.

Please, don't separate people into "low CP" and "high CP" classes who can view different things - I don't believe that's good for the community.

Instead only let the votes of users with 50+ community points give/remove community points to the author Wink

img230.imageshack.us/img230/724/uber0nsig3hj6.gif
http://uber0n.web. . .
Nope http://uber0n.webs.com/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 28-10-08 12:09
ynori7 wrote:
Yeah, I hate it when that happens, so I've gotten into the habit of copying my replies before hitting post. But of course the one time you forget is the time it matters.

I do the same as well. It was the time I forgot. :whoa:

Uber0n wrote:
Please, don't separate people into "low CP" and "high CP" classes who can view different things - I don't believe that's good for the community.

Instead only let the votes of users with 50+ community points give/remove community points to the author Wink

Agreed and agreed. The votes of people that help the community are more likely to be balanced and fair than the vote of some random schmuck. I'll rehash this whole CP scale idea and such at some point, and see what I can come up with for a possible improvement there.

Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 28-10-08 13:53
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
The votes of people that help the community are more likely to be balanced and fair than the vote of some random schmuck.

If this is implemented I think the best thing would be if everyone is still allowed to vote, but CP are only added to the author for votes from people above the CP limit. This would prevent unfair CP bonuses/penalties but still let everyone make their voice heard Wink

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 28-10-08 16:21
I totally agree with Uber0n.

I've read articles where a person writes a decent article then some "genius" comes along and gives them a poor rating because they didn't explain something to their liking. I think it's terrible. 50+ community points should cover it. The HBH vets should be the true judges.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 28-10-08 17:30
Sangeki Rein wrote:
I totally agree with Uber0n.

I agreed with him, too... I'm just not sure he caught it. Pfft

Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 28-10-08 17:44
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
I agreed with him, too... I'm just not sure he caught it. Pfft

I did :happy: but it sounded a bit like people with low CP wouldn't be allowed to vote at all. I just wanted to clarify what I meant ^^

Author

Night_Stalker

Your avatar

Apprentice
Warn Level: 10
Posted on 28-10-08 20:43
Have to admit... I kinda like the idea -
Rewarding people that contribute to the comunity.

ynori7 wrote:
poor ratings which will decrease the author's cp

What about when a little 10 year old kid comes on wanting to hack hotmail, gets flamed by one of the more experienced members here; then decides to rate that user's excellent article poor, repeatedly.....

Could set cookies/log IP's for the ratings to at least attempt to cut down on things like that?

( Yeah.... I've actually seen it before.. :whoa: )

Of course some people might do the same with their own articles... But rate them excellent.... Frown

Junt my 2 cents...
I know...

Not worth much at all....

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 28-10-08 21:04
Night_Stalker wrote:
What about when a little 10 year old kid comes on wanting to hack hotmail, gets flamed by one of the more experienced members here; then decides to rate that user's excellent article poor, repeatedly.....

Could set cookies/log IP's for the ratings to at least attempt to cut down on things like that?

( Yeah.... I've actually seen it before.. :whoa: )

Uber0n wrote:
If this is implemented I think the best thing would be if everyone is still allowed to vote, but CP are only added to the author for votes from people above the CP limit.

Solved, Uber0n must be some sort of psychic to have answered that question before it was even asked.

Speaking of community points, don't know if the voting good or bad for forum posts is still there to give or decrease community points since I seem to have accumulated a massive amount of -3 points, but seems to me that those might as well be disgarded. If a forum post is so horrible that it deserves punishment then a moderator can deal with it, else you can just talk to the person about their post, nice and quiet, flaming hot, doesn't matter. My point is that people are far more keen on punishing something they see as bad than rewarding something they see as good when it's a part of something as commonly used by everyone as the forum, people have a tendency to take something good for granted since that's what they want to see.
Not to mention that it adds to it that people can be in bad moods or misunderstand things leading to rash decisions.

Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 28-10-08 23:51
COM wrote:
My point is that people are far more keen on punishing something they see as bad than rewarding something they see as good when it's a part of something as commonly used by everyone as the forum, people have a tendency to take something good for granted since that's what they want to see.

Since non-exclusive members only can give thumbs up/down in the Computer General section of the forums, me and most other people can't give a thumbs up to most of the good posts out there :angry: I'd say I give about as many up as down, but I'd definately use it more frequently if I could ^^

I guess I'll have to buy EM, haha :ninja:

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 01:55
Uber0n wrote:
Since non-exclusive members only can give thumbs up/down in the Computer General section of the forums, me and most other people can't give a thumbs up to most of the good posts out there :angry: I'd say I give about as many up as down, but I'd definately use it more frequently if I could ^^

I guess I'll have to buy EM, haha :ninja:

I'll see about getting the CP limit to balance out the "thumb restrictions" to allow rating across the forums. Only reason... is because I believe that you would if you could. Anyways, a CP requirement would eliminate the majority of the stupidity.

Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 29-10-08 22:46
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
I'll see about getting the CP limit to balance out the "thumb restrictions" to allow rating across the forums.

Awesome.

Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 30-10-08 03:29
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
I'll see about getting the CP limit to balance out the "thumb restrictions" to allow rating across the forums.

That'd be great because the majority of the posts that I've seen worth voting for are in sections I can't vote in.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-08 11:54
It's added to the list. Let's see if we can get more CP-related ideas, other than the ones mentioned above.