Follow us on Twitter!
Capitalism is an Island of wealth in a sea of poverty
Sunday, April 20, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 26
Guests Online: 25
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82850
Newest Member: hardstylurr
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Hardware

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Author

Wiping a Harddrive

Mr_Cheese




Posts: 2468
Location: Brighton, UK
Joined: 30.11.04
Rank:
Uber Elite
Posted on 06-05-06 13:55
Im not talking about simply a re-format, i mean completely erasing everything and making it impossible for any data at all to be recovered.

I've heard magnets are probably the best bet, considering data from a HDD can be recovered if:
- smashed completely
- burnt / partially melted in a fire
- submerged in water for days

Also i know about shredders and various other methods for wiping data, which is relatively effective, depening on how many times data is over written and depending on encyrption techquines.

but software methods take time and arent of any use if the nice police men are knocking on your door.

So im quite intersted in the magnet idea, but after googling theres no specific info i can find other than "use magnets". So perhaps someone could give some insight into this.

How long does it take?
How powerful shoudl the magnet be?
Would a electromagnet work?
Is data still recoverable afterwards?


http://www.hellboundhackers.org/
Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 06-05-06 14:51
You cant use a magnet, it takes a hell of a lot of power to wipe a hdd with a magnet. unless you take them out and throw then in a MRI lol.
Buring it is propably best. Unless you want to keep the HDD intact then I suggest fill it up several times over like a regular secure eraser.




Edited by on 06-05-06 15:01
Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 06-05-06 16:41
DoD 5220.22-M recommends the approach "Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a random character and verify." programs like killdisk do just this...BUT, the DoD standard changes with informations level of classification.

The standard for systems that are property of the DoD, and have secret material, is to run BC wipe 6-7 times...keep in mind the standards are set by the NSA, and it's illegal to use encryption higher than 128 (funny, the NSA can't crack anything higher than 128)....i'd say BC wipe 14 times for a software based sanitation.

Other (faster) methods (Top Secret info), which would be destroy, not sanitize would be Disintegrate, incinerate, pulverize, shred, or melt.

For printers...

Lazer printer - Run five pages of unclassified text, then remove all power, including battery.

Other printers - Destroy ribbons, clean plates, then remove all power, including battery.

Just food for thought...
Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive

bl4ckc4t
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 591
Location: /etc/
Joined: 07.03.06
Rank:
Wiseman
Posted on 06-05-06 16:47
Mr_Cheese wrote:
Im not talking about simply a re-format, i mean completely erasing everything and making it impossible for any data at all to be recovered.

I've heard magnets are probably the best bet, considering data from a HDD can be recovered if:
- smashed completely
- burnt / partially melted in a fire
- submerged in water for days

Also i know about shredders and various other methods for wiping data, which is relatively effective, depening on how many times data is over written and depending on encyrption techquines.

but software methods take time and arent of any use if the nice police men are knocking on your door.

So im quite intersted in the magnet idea, but after googling theres no specific info i can find other than "use magnets". So perhaps someone could give some insight into this.

How long does it take?
How powerful shoudl the magnet be?
Would a electromagnet work?
Is data still recoverable afterwards?


Yes Its possible. an electromagnet with 350 pounds per sqare inch of mangetism can corrupt all of your data on your harddrive. Take it from me, I have had to wipe my harddrive because of viruses or other crap when a reformat wouldnt do. You pretty much have to pass it over 15 times with a 350psi , 400 psi will do it in approx 8. The more powerful- The less times to corrupt it all, and the less data shows up in a scan. Your best bet is throwing it in a lit fireplace or using a really strong magnet. For those who think I do not know what im talking about, Yes I have tried it, and yes its possible.

Hope my information helped
Bl4ckC4t



null0bject wrote:
DoD 5220.22-M recommends the approach "Overwrite all addressable locations with a character, its complement, then a random character and verify." programs like killdisk do just this...BUT, the DoD standard changes with informations level of classification.

The standard for systems that are property of the DoD, and have secret material, is to run BC wipe 6-7 times...keep in mind the standards are set by the NSA, and it's illegal to use encryption higher than 128 (funny, the NSA can't crack anything higher than 128)....i'd say BC wipe 14 times for a software based sanitation.

Other (faster) methods (Top Secret info), which would be destroy, not sanitize would be Disintegrate, incinerate, pulverize, shred, or melt.

For printers...

Lazer printer - Run five pages of unclassified text, then remove all power, including battery.

Other printers - Destroy ribbons, clean plates, then remove all power, including battery.

Just food for thought...


Lmao at NSA not being able to crack above 128.
Thats funny.
Bl4ck.




Edited by bl4ckc4t on 06-05-06 16:55
Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive

Mr_Cheese




Posts: 2468
Location: Brighton, UK
Joined: 30.11.04
Rank:
Uber Elite
Posted on 06-05-06 17:10
bl4ckc4t wrote:
Take it from me, I have had to wipe my harddrive because of viruses or other crap when a reformat wouldnt do. You pretty much have to pass it over 15 times with a 350psi , 400 psi will do it in approx 8. The more powerful- The less times to corrupt it all, and the less data shows up in a scan.


hmm so your saying the harddrive is still useable after the magetism, and the amout of data you want corrupted depends on how many times you wave the magnet over the HDD??


http://www.hellboundhackers.org/
Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 06-05-06 17:12
enlighten me Bl4ck
Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 06-05-06 17:28
couldnt you get ahold of a fairly powerful degaussing strip and put it right on the hdd? or possibly a small emp?


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 06-05-06 18:02
Buy youself a cheap blowtorch, and melt the drive, then hide wots left in the cookie jar... nobody looks there... quick and efficient Wink


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive

bl4ckc4t
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 591
Location: /etc/
Joined: 07.03.06
Rank:
Wiseman
Posted on 06-05-06 18:13
Mr_Cheese wrote:
bl4ckc4t wrote:
Take it from me, I have had to wipe my harddrive because of viruses or other crap when a reformat wouldnt do. You pretty much have to pass it over 15 times with a 350psi , 400 psi will do it in approx 8. The more powerful- The less times to corrupt it all, and the less data shows up in a scan.


hmm so your saying the harddrive is still useable after the magetism, and the amout of data you want corrupted depends on how many times you wave the magnet over the HDD??



Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 06-05-06 19:09
Another good method is to have a spare cheap (its ok if it doesnt work) harddrive, then when the cops come knocking, replace your normal harddrive with the 2nd one, and hide your original in a really random place (in a folded towel in your bathroom or something). The cops will think the 2nd one is ur only harddrive, and wont bother searching for the real one...


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-06-06 16:54
go to x-treme geek and buy the very high power magenets, then stick the thing in your microwave. when that's done, wipe it with the magnets


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive

AldarHawk
Member



Posts: 1690
Location: Canada
Joined: 26.01.06
Rank:
Hacker Level 1
Posted on 29-06-06 17:03
I find if you have two Sub woofers (12"+ should be good enough) and place one on either side of the hard drive passing the prive between the magnetic field a few time (5-20?) and the information is nearly fully corrupt. now just to let you know a fully corrupt hard drive is still recoverable Wink with the right technology it is all recoverable. Just how much you can get out of it is the main point Pfft


Just ask Yahoo!Taboo! http://www.erikwestlake.com
Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-06-06 17:42
What i have in my PC is a removable HDD bay i have 2 4 HDD's the II IDE is in the PC that holds my music pics stuff like that, ordianry stuff. Then i ahve one with Linux and 2 with windows. one windows i dont use at all thats it them "people" show up and the other windows and linux i actuly use. And for a precaotion i have a electromag that i swipe over the HDD.


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-06-06 17:56
put a password on the harddrive. theyre very hard to get past. almost impossible. then burn it, submerge under water. and take it to your nearest scrap yard for that big magnet crane thingy lol


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-06-06 18:24
passwords, the men with the shocking box will come after you and attach it to your balls, then suddenly they find your password very fast >.> not to mention its a 2 year offence if you dont turn over your passesWink


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-06-06 19:47
lol, swipe it 50 times with a powerfull magnet, put it in the fireplace, then when its burnt out, under water, then melt it with a blowtorch, then put it between two woofers, then let it take a visit to Mr.Sledge Hammer, and finally throw it at someone. Done ! Grin


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-06-06 19:54
and once youve done that, take out the platter and clean the platter with steel wool


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-06-06 19:54
AdSoRb:
then let it take a visit to Mr.Sledge Hammer, and finally throw it at someone. Done ! Grin


I like those last points, scientifically proven to wipe data from a hard drive Pfft


Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-06-06 20:39
You cant wipe a HDD with magnet, it has a purty strong built in magnet. The strength of a magnet falls cubicly so where at 1inch oyu would have a force of 1 au (arbtiray uniuts) then at 2inches it would be an 1/8th unless you remoove the hdd its very stupid to bother fr more likley to do nothing and ruin your credit cards.

Blackcat where do you intend to get a 350psi magnet to do the job?




Edited by on 29-06-06 20:43
Author

RE: Wiping a Harddrive


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-06-06 20:50
From what ive herd from numorous tv programs and articles you cant without damaging it may i suggest a hammer?


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >