Follow us on Twitter!
One mans freedom fighter, another's terrorist.
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 23
Guests Online: 22
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82885
Newest Member: ConiBE
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Author

Whats the best OS

TROY

Moderate
Posted on 09-07-08 23:37
hi, i've got Microsoft Windows Vista and am considering switching OS to say maybe linux. (Considering i'll be using for ethical hacking/programming etc) what is the best OS i should use

Author

RE: Whats the best OS

Your avatar

Posted on 09-07-08 23:38
Windows Vista is the best OS in the world today.

Author

RE: ?

TROY

Moderate
Posted on 09-07-08 23:44
i've got vista but i dont think it is. It's too secure things like John the Ripper Cain and abel are detected as security risks. Also compatability is a BIIIIG issue john the ripper doesnt work on it along with many more tools

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 09-07-08 23:50
TROY wrote:
i've got vista but i dont think it is. It's too secure things like John the Ripper Cain and abel are detected as security risks. Also compatability is a BIIIIG issue john the ripper doesnt work on it along with many more tools

Maybe you're right. Windows vista is just too secure.

Author

RE: change

TROY

Moderate
Posted on 09-07-08 23:53
anyone reccomend i change os??? and if so what to

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 09-07-08 23:57
TROY wrote:
anyone reccomend i change os??? and if so what to

Alright, I'll be serious for a minute. Xandros is a release of linux that's made to pursuade windows users to move to linux. It will probably be the friendliest move you can make. No matter what, dual boot or better yet try it out on a live CD, see if you like it. I'm sure you will, and it might take some getting used to but ultimately it will benefit you if you can use both (I'm not saying scrap windows, there are lots of games/software written for only windows, on the other hand linux is more secure because it's hard for anyone to write a virus for linux since there are so many distros out there). Ubuntu is alright, here just read through this:

http://www.desktoplinux.com/articles/AT3269115798.html

Google: It's a great tool. You should try and use it sometime.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 09-07-08 23:58
you should try a few different OS

i think XP is good, its not TOO secure, like vista, and most programs work with XP

you could always have more than one OS lol Wink

Author

fashizzlepop

Moderate
Posted on 10-07-08 00:04
Ubuntu and Dream Linux are 2 very solid Linux Distros. If you want to lean on Linux for Hacking mainly instead of just All Round use then you could always Install BackTrack 3 it being "THE HACKER DISTRO"

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
~Albert Einstein~

csullivan.codeinspire.net/images/boomsig2.png
fashizzlepop@gmail.com http://csullivan.codeinspire.net/
Author

RE: Thanks

TROY

Moderate
Posted on 10-07-08 00:41
thanks for that i might consider eith xp or a version of Linux and another thing is backtrack 3 only compatabile with linux

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-07-08 00:46
TROY wrote:
thanks for that i might consider eith xp or a version of Linux and another thing is backtrack 3 only compatabile with linux

Backtrack 3 is a linux distro, you idiot.

Author

fashizzlepop

Moderate
Posted on 10-07-08 00:48
*cough* Backtrack 3 ISSSSSSS Linux. You might want to google "linux" before making yourself look anymore stupid. Learn what a "live cd" is and what the word "distro" means. You also might want to Wikipedia Linux and learn the differences you'll need to get used to. As others have said. You can dual boot a linux distro AND windows. and some times ... XP/Vista/[any linux distro] Like my freind who also does Ubuntu.

Ubuntu is a good place to start if you are thinking of web dev stuff or web server stuff.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
~Albert Einstein~

csullivan.codeinspire.net/images/boomsig2.png
fashizzlepop@gmail.com http://csullivan.codeinspire.net/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-07-08 03:02
I kinda liked mandriva. I've tried a couple others too, but nothing too much. Kubuntu shouldn't be too hard to get used to, and actually I thought some things were easier to understand compared to windows. I hear it is more geared towards games than other distros, but I never looked.

I just switched to XP pro and it really is nice as far as compatibility. It depends on what you currently do, and what you want to do (please don't say "use JtR"Wink. make sure you don't cut off what you need.

and I don't mean to get all nasty across the internet or whatever, but it really sounds like you have some reading up to do. so read up.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-07-08 03:08
did the guy who claimed vista to be the best OS in the world really not get flammed?
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-07-08 03:18
it actually is.

all sorts of cool stuff with vista. You can like change the desktop background to like any picture, and it's all pretty..
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-07-08 03:40
looooooooooooooool
vista is the best.....piece of crap out there, lol
i.m.o, for u to kno what the best s.o is for u (bein good for someone else doesnt mean itll suit u too), u gotta know what use ull put it to.
what u wanna do, programming, hacking, play games, etc
if ur a gamer ( i play alot too), id suggest dual booting windows xp(preferably pro) and linux.
try various distros, to see what u like best. if u dont like one, uninstal it and try another one. there are other o.ss out there, but i think u should start with linux, and progress from there.
another good way to try out linux distros, like it was said back there, is to use live distros (distros on bootable cds, no installation needed)
its a nice way to try em out without havin to install em everytime.
u can only kno whats best for u by tryin em
ps: linux takes a bit gettin used to, but in the end u cant live without it, heheheheh
in the end this is only my personal opinion, so all i ask is to not get flamed, cause in the end im still a n00b, and im here to learn, and to help where i can

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-07-08 06:51
i like all unix-like but currently i am learning RCE and assembler so i prefer Windows Smile I think its good to get at first time Ubuntu latest version and after you learn how to use Linux switch to Slackware and learn Perl and C Smile

Edited by on 10-07-08 06:53
Author

RE: Haha

TROY

Moderate
Posted on 10-07-08 07:39
lool awwww stop bullying poor Vista lol

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 10-07-08 07:45
i dont recomend 8.04 hardy heron ive had nothing but problems

1) no wifi (big waste of time)
2)compatibility
3)made my laptop shut down ALOT

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

RE: Unix

TROY

Moderate
Posted on 10-07-08 07:52
i think unix is hard to work with (when considering hacking) because theres so many versions of it

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-07-08 09:06
Hacking is not supposed to be easy man hate to break it to you

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >