Follow us on Twitter!
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before. - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 30
Guests Online: 28
Members Online: 2

Registered Members: 82838
Newest Member: w1zarrd
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Programming

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Author

RE: What should I code? - Hello, World and beyond...

AldarHawk

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 14-01-10 12:37
Here is one for you where you can learn sockets and everything else.
Try one of these two items.

P2P File Sharing Program
Chat Program with Server and Clients

Just a thought

Just ask Yahoo!Taboo! http://www.erikwestlake.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 14-01-10 13:33
well, I just installed avg free on my windows 7 install, and all it found were "tracker cookies" does avg have a build in firewall? I think windows built in one is enough for me.

suppose it depends on the type of website you go on. I honestly can't think of one I visit that I could pick something up from.

Author

AldarHawk

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 14-01-10 13:43
wolfmankurd wrote:
well, I just installed avg free on my windows 7 install, and all it found were "tracker cookies" does avg have a build in firewall? I think windows built in one is enough for me.

For free AV systems i prefer Avast, it is anti-virus, anti-rootkit and email scanning.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 14-01-10 13:44
AldarHawk wrote:
wolfmankurd wrote:

For free AV systems i prefer Avast, it is anti-virus, anti-rootkit and email scanning.

Never used it, but if it's free I'll certainly check it out.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-01-10 01:10
AldarHawk wrote:

+1

Been using Avast for years... Very good.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-01-10 04:43
MoshBat wrote:
+1

Been using shoes for years... Very good.

Noted. If I ever have doubts about footwear, I'll be sure to post in a thread that had a different topic originally (for a short time, granted) with the aim of reassuring myself about footwear.

At the moment, though, I believe we're discussing AV software. Unless I do a benchmark of multiple AV programs with a crapped-down, virus-laden Windows virtual machine, I can only speak on experience -- and best experiences at that.

So, what is your AV preference when using Windows?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-01-10 05:01
MoshBat wrote:
My point was that you (presumably) clicked the +1 button his post, due to AV preference, and if you didn't, well. Impressions count.

I've already mentioned my preferred, in passing at least. The only one I tested that detected my rootkit (in part, at least). But, with two high recommendations, and a supposed rootkit scanner (as most do these days), I'll test Avast.
ZoneAlarm.

No, I don't +1/-1 any post. I did agree with his AV preference, and I typed "+1" instead of "I agree" or "ditto" because I was in a typeful commenting mood. Technically, though, since I put it in quotes now, I think I just typecasted my response into relative irrelevance.

... Anyways, yes, I noticed that you mentioned ZoneAlarm; I just thought you were joking. ZA is decent for an application-level firewall, but it's kinda weak as an AV program. At least, that's how I see it, and I'm sure you'll express your side of it.

It's all preference but, when multiple options may be discussed, it helps to have more than one person throwing a good option out there.

Author

fuser

Mad User
Posted on 15-01-10 10:41
dude, tell me about it.

I once read an issue of a local computer magazine that was basically a masturbatory tribute for kapersky.

The headline for the magazine: Win Kapersky 10! Interview with Eugene Kapersky! Kapersky 10 reviewed!

and then, after flicking through the articles, I read the technical help section, and one of the questions was "what is the best anti-virus for my pendrive ?" instead of pointing out at portableapps.com, the technical guy also answered kapersky.

and if that wasn't good enough, in the Linux help section of the same magazine, a guy asked the chances of infection in Linux (he's a newbie, bear with that person) and the columnist replied that while there are a few cases of viruses, it is nothing to worry about. However, since the same person also dual-boots (as he had mentioned in his letter) it is best that he uses kapersky.

at that point I just screamed incomprehensible things out loud, even though I was in the bus, which resulted in me being ejected from it. I then complained to the editor that the issue caused me being thrown out of a moving bus (well, it slowed down before they forced me out) into which he replied that's my problem.

img.userbarz.com/51/10006.png
img.userbarz.com/146/29144.gif
img.userbarz.com/99/19602.jpg
img.userbarz.com/4/600.png
img.userbarz.com/45/8814.gif
img360.imageshack.us/img360/9231/bfbarlr0.jpg
[url=http://userbarz.com/][img]ht
catinthecpu@hotmail.com
Author

AldarHawk

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 15-01-10 12:08
Back on topic. How about program a SHUT UP button that will make stupid comments stop from all people in the world...Sorry just my wish! lol

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-01-10 13:07
MoshBat wrote:
AVG: 3/30 (non-free was exactly the same)
Norton: 10/30
McAfee: 20/30
Kaspersky: Absolutely none - and it took five hours.
F-Secure: ~20, give or take a few
BitDefender: <10
ZoneAlarm: Perfect score.

I'm not surprised that ZoneAlarm beat that list at the time, and things are still pretty much the same as that list, I'm sure. If anything, AVG has gotten a little better... and possibly Kaspersky. The rest are still crap.

Obviously, Avast is one that would be ideal to see on that comparison but, also, I'd be curious to see how Nod32 performed against the others. If Nod32 was free, I'd probably consider using it instead of Avast.

Well, I was going to recommend CastleCops for unbiased antivirus and antispyware comparisons, but it looks like they don't exist anymore. :whoa:

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-01-10 15:04
AldarHawk wrote:
Back on topic. How about program a SHUT UP button that will make stupid comments stop from all people in the world...Sorry just my wish! lol

lmao

Author

SET

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 15-01-10 15:24
NO A/V

i know i am way ahead of my time.
A/V cause more problems then you realize, and lots of viruses can shut down a/v's anyways. Best defense is know you PC OS like registry / policies / processes and you can kill most any virus(even though with google chrome i haven't gotten 1 virus and i tend to download alot from torrents. Also i love the performance boost i get without a A/V. Been virus clean for 1 1/2 years without the use of a anti-virus.

arcset.com/imgs/Comp 1_4.gif
ARCSET.com
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 15-01-10 15:51
SET wrote:
NO A/V

i know i am way ahead of my time.
A/V cause more problems then you realize, and lots of viruses can shut down a/v's anyways. Best defense is know you PC OS like registry / policies / processes and you can kill most any virus(even though with google chrome i haven't gotten 1 virus and i tend to download alot from torrents. Also i love the performance boost i get without a A/V. Been virus clean for 1 1/2 years without the use of a anti-virus.

I'm with you, my personal opinion has always been A/V's aren't worth the pain in the ass they are. Although, I am more of a linux user so I don't have a whole lot of experience in that field.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

SET

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 15-01-10 16:04
i wasn't saying google chrome did. I just know if i didn't say some activity that involves the downloading and install of programs you would pop up and say something because you cant keep your mouth shut and let a typo/or obvious statement go without you obsessive need to prove you exists by throwing a comment that nether had anything to add or anything worth the time to read 90% of the time.

ARCSET.com
Author

SET

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 15-01-10 16:34
good point moshbat

ARCSET.com
Author

AldarHawk

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 15-01-10 18:19
MoshBat wrote:
And Aldar, it's possible to hide posts on the net by certain phrases and keywords, will that do?

No, I really meant more like turning people off...I would love a mute button in real life and a STFU button on the net :happy:

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-01-10 18:44
aka amnesia ray

Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 16-01-10 22:32
more project suggestions please Pfft
base_dropper@hotmail.com www.demonshalo.com
Author

fuser

Mad User
Posted on 17-01-10 02:56
just make a simple 2d game, or a messaging program.

img.userbarz.com/51/10006.png
img.userbarz.com/146/29144.gif
img.userbarz.com/99/19602.jpg
img.userbarz.com/4/600.png
img.userbarz.com/45/8814.gif
img360.imageshack.us/img360/9231/bfbarlr0.jpg
[url=http://userbarz.com/][img]ht
catinthecpu@hotmail.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 27-02-10 21:18
fuser wrote:
just make a simple 2d game, or a messaging program.

I'd make it simpler than that even. Do something that interests you, and if nothing interests you, don't program. Smile
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3