Follow us on Twitter!
It is the path of least resistance that makes rivers and men crooked. - Bj Palmer
Friday, April 25, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 27
Guests Online: 25
Members Online: 2

Registered Members: 82906
Newest Member: ilija
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | General Computer Problems

Author

What is going on here?

Your avatar

Posted on 14-09-08 21:21
Hey all, something weird is going on with my computer. I have noticed that the "Documents and Settings" Folder has basically dissapeared, I will post a ss below to show you what I mean, and the error I get when I try to access it. i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll163/a7x2thedeath1993/Untitled.jpg

Author

RE: What is going on here?

Your avatar

Posted on 14-09-08 21:33
Besides the fact that I have Vista......

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 14-09-08 22:02
Did you tweak the registry recently? Changed variables in CMD? Played with some powertools? Installed crapware?

Google for "relocate documents and settings", don't put the quotes around your query.

My best guess is screwed registry settings.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 14-09-08 22:10
Well, I've had this problem for a while, it doesnt really bother me but I just wanted to know what happened. The only thing I might have done to the registry is use CCleaner to clean it out, and that is probably where my problem started. But it really doesnt matter, its not affecting me.

EDIT: This should get fixed when I get a new hard drive and re-install the AIDS.

Edited by on 14-09-08 22:11
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 14-09-08 22:53
have you tried "search files and folders" to see if you have moved it or if you deleted it?

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 14-09-08 23:12
Yes, I have searched all areas of my drive, both partitions. I will just wait till I get my Seagate Momentus and re-install Vista.

Author

korg
Admin from hell

God
Posted on 15-09-08 01:12
You need to check your registry, Navigate to :
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Explorer\DocFolderPaths. In the rt pane you should see:
C:\Documents and Settings\"username". If not rt click the pane and choose new>string value and enter it manually.

i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/korg1269/shodan13.jpg

I deal in pain, All life I drain, I dominate, I seal your fate.
O R
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-09-08 01:21
DocFolderPaths is not in there, think that might be the problem?
I try not to touch the registry. If it isnt too hard, can I just create another folder with all the data?

Author

korg
Admin from hell

God
Posted on 15-09-08 01:48
Rt click on the CurrentVersion\ Explorer and select>new.key and name it DocFolderPaths. Then click on DocFolderPaths and in the rt pane enter the new value as above.

O R
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-09-08 02:25
It's a shortcut. Right-click it, click Properties, and see what the target is, then verify if it exists. Vista doesn't use "Documents and Settings" like XP did... it uses "Users". In fact, Docs and Settings might be a link to Users.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-09-08 02:27
No target or anything, I will just wait till I do a clean install, thanks for the help anyways guys, I appreciate it.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-09-08 02:33
a7x2thedeath wrote:
No target or anything, I will just wait till I do a clean install, thanks for the help anyways guys, I appreciate it.

You're going to reinstall... for a broken shortcut? Whatever works, genius.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-09-08 11:49
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
a7x2thedeath wrote:

You're going to reinstall... for a broken shortcut? Whatever works, genius.

Meh, that's windows users for you.

@a7x2thedeat: Like Zephyr_Pure said, Users is there. Just delete the stupid shortcut.

Edited by on 15-09-08 11:49
Author

korg
Admin from hell

God
Posted on 15-09-08 17:31
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
Vista doesn't use "documents and Settings" like XP did... it uses "Users".

That is correct. Sorry didn't post back sooner had a big ass storm going on last night and lost internet and power. In vista the documents and settings folder is still there for running certain apps and doesn't retain any info nor can you store things in it. The reason i posted the reg. fix is I've had people "upgrade?" from xp to vista and didn't copy the stuff they had stored in it. By applying the reg. fix you can then access it and remove your info then. If this is not the case and the Op is just trying to access it for no reason this thread is worthless, If you didn't upgrade and have nothing stored in docs and settings you can not access it in vista. It's a virtual folder for apps only.

O R
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-09-08 18:48
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
Vista doesn't use "documents and Settings" like XP did... it uses "Users".

korg wrote:
That is correct. Sorry didn't post back sooner had a big ass storm going on last night and lost internet and power. In vista the documents and settings folder is still there for running certain apps and doesn't retain any info nor can you store things in it. The reason i posted the reg. fix is I've had people "upgrade?" from xp to vista and didn't copy the stuff they had stored in it. By applying the reg. fix you can then access it and remove your info then.

There you have it... the complete story. I actually wasn't aware that upgrading to Vista might not transition Docs and Settings to Users correctly, so that was a useful bit I'll be storing away for later.

If this is not the case and the Op is just trying to access it for no reason this thread is worthless, If you didn't upgrade and have nothing stored in docs and settings you can not access it in vista. It's a virtual folder for apps only.

I think this is probably the case but, in the event that it is, at least some of us learned a bit about the OS that everyone loves to hate.