Follow us on Twitter!
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. - Winston Churchill
Monday, April 21, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 20
Guests Online: 19
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82856
Newest Member: djtonyg
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Webmasters Lounge

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: Wanting To Go Further

Your avatar

Posted on 12-02-10 05:30
More difficult than tables? What are you smoking? Tables have to be completely redesigned every time you want to make a minor change to the layout, they're impossible to read through, and a royal pain to deal with.

Whoever said tables are acceptable earlier, you sir are an idiot... Tables were rebuked by their own creator for the horror they induce on the web today by people who think they're designers...

Learn CSS and XHTML to the letter, do NOT use dreamweaver or anything such as that to start, use either notepad or notepad++ (or something similar) to learn to build up knowledge of manual code, then tools like dreamweaver are used like tools instead of a crutch.

Personally I'd recommend Aptana to anyone over dreamweaver.

Regardless I work freelance web design and I have to tell you, no barring, you don't stand much of a chance as it stands right now. I have a hard time getting work on occasion as opposed to the experienced professionals that work the web for a living. I'm 19 and I still have far more to learn in web design and development before I'd even consider calling myself a professional.

Give it time, you have plenty and honestly you're well further along than I was at 13/14. I didn't even know what the heck css was and though freewebs was a php host (don't ask...)

Develop your skills, work locally. That's probably the best advice you can get right now.

If you need help learning feel free to pm me or something.

Author

cubix

Your avatar

Posted on 12-02-10 07:07
Lemur wrote:
More difficult than tables? What are you smoking? Tables have to be completely redesigned every time you want to make a minor change to the layout, they're impossible to read through, and a royal pain to deal with.

Whoever said tables are acceptable earlier, you sir are an idiot... Tables were rebuked by their own creator for the horror they induce on the web today by people who think they're designers...

Learn CSS and XHTML to the letter, do NOT use dreamweaver or anything such as that to start, use either notepad or notepad++ (or something similar) to learn to build up knowledge of manual code, then tools like dreamweaver are used like tools instead of a crutch.

Personally I'd recommend Aptana to anyone over dreamweaver.

Regardless I work freelance web design and I have to tell you, no barring, you don't stand much of a chance as it stands right now. I have a hard time getting work on occasion as opposed to the experienced professionals that work the web for a living. I'm 19 and I still have far more to learn in web design and development before I'd even consider calling myself a professional.

Give it time, you have plenty and honestly you're well further along than I was at 13/14. I didn't even know what the heck css was and though freewebs was a php host (don't ask...)

Develop your skills, work locally. That's probably the best advice you can get right now.

If you need help learning feel free to pm me or something.

This is good advice. I do freelance work as well, and I couldn't disagree with anything said in this post (other than recommending Coda rather than Aptana Pfft ). Good stuff though!

i47.tinypic.com/de7klf.png
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-02-10 12:33
Compromise wrote:
NotMyFault wrote:
I see on a lot of sites little Flashey things, Learning Flash an idea?

Only if you want to open your market to ignorant idiot art-studying fake-poeting morons.

hey if it's really that bad, then that's some easy money.

Often for free lance customers will decide from a list of applicants. They may ask to see 2-3 websites that you have done, a resume and a price quote. In your contract, you should also make sure that they can not weasel their way out of paying you. (For instance say you submit an idea and they break off contact.) And you can give us all the excuses you like about your code/site, but don't try that with potential customers. Never give a customer an excuse, they only care about the situation and the cost. getting into Photo/Gimp Shop would be a really great idea. Something like dreamweaver will save you countless hours (there are many alternatives too).

reaper4334 wrote:
You need to give examples of the kind of things people would want on their sites, instead of saying "Yes, I can do that." you'd say "Yes, I have an example that's a little bit like that.."

Yup, yup. And when they say they want to see 2-3 sites you've done, these aren't your favorite 2-3 sites. They are the most suitable 2-3 sites for the customer. Your customer's first impression is going to be what they see from a glance. Your site has nothing but content, and the colors clash. Like spyware said, that's boring. Also, there should be nothing that is so retro/cool it is unreadable (like the banner)

Spend a day on google looking for "website tips", and look for good some websites (and sites that are oriented towards one single thing. For instance google.com, what's the first thing you see? a search box. Adobe.com? downloads for their top free products. Aol.com? A shit-storm of nothing.)

My advice:
Step 1: make 2-3 web sites that someone would actually want.
Step 2: make a profile. This includes info for customers, resume, and links to sites.

You're young, all you need to do is stick with it and keep asking questions.

Edited by on 12-02-10 12:37
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-02-10 14:11
Haven't tried Coda, though that's probably because I use Linux to code sites anymore.

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 12-02-10 15:47
Revised Plan:
1.Learn CSS, to absolute completion.
2.Create a better-looking website without using any images or tables.
3.Make a website for free for a club.
4.Make a couple more.
5.Look for bussiness in my area who have terrible websites and offer to re-do their websites for a small fee.

As I'm going along, I'll have to fit in time for learning Gimp and maybe some Flash or something dynamic.

Layout for a revised website is working fine in IE (unusually) but not in FF.
All my css validates, what's wrong?
Page is at http://notmyfault. . .mepage.php
Bear in mind that this is NOT going to be what the finished website will be like, it's just me learning about css and stuff so don't flame about it!

Author

cubix

Your avatar

Posted on 12-02-10 17:09
Can you screenshot what it's supposed to look like?

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 12-02-10 17:32
And how would one go about doing that?

Author

stranac

God
Posted on 12-02-10 17:38
If it looks fine in IE, why not just take a screenshot of that?
Author

cubix

Your avatar

Posted on 12-02-10 17:38
If you're on a PC, hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard, then copy + paste it into Paint or something. If you're on a Mac, hit Cmd + Shift + 3

Author

AldarHawk

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 12-02-10 18:28

1.Learn CSS, to absolute completion.

What do you call absolute completion? CSS is not really something you can learn to absolute completion. You learn what you need and that is what you do. If you attempt to learn everything about CSS you will be studying it for a long time. Get to the point where you are comfortable enough to take chances and learn.

2.Create a better-looking website without using any images or tables.

That is not something you should do. I agree about removing the tables, however, if you make it with no images, you will be very...Web 1.0. Work with Image Slicing to make your layouts better.

3.Make a website for free for a club.

What club are you going to make a site for free for, and why?

4.Make a couple more.

Ditto above...

5.Look for bussiness in my area who have terrible websites and offer to re-do their websites for a small fee.

Why do they have to be in your area? That is the wonder of the World Wide Web...You so not need to be neighbors to do work for them!

Looking into the site problems...how do you know the CSS validates?

Just ask Yahoo!Taboo! http://www.erikwestlake.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-02-10 19:34
I can make a site without images if allowed CSS3 that could blow most local pages out of the water. It's possible, but one heck of a Challenge I would advise against unless you're extremely competent and have an idea of how this would be done.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2