Follow us on Twitter!
One mans freedom fighter, another's terrorist.
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 23
Guests Online: 22
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82893
Newest Member: mor-amit
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | General Computer Problems

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: unresponsive computer help

Your avatar

Posted on 19-07-10 09:08
check the stickers on your computer for a windows key. It's probably on the bottom. You can download a windows trial, and then upgrade to the full version. There is no need to buy a whole new computer, because this sounds like an OS issue.

And there's no need to be intemidated by Linux. It can be a love-hate relationship, but as long as you know how to look in the documentation, forums, and man pages, you're golden. Mandriva and Ubuntu are very noob-friendly. After 30 minutes, you'll be past the learning curve.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-07-10 19:27
maug wrote:
check the stickers on your computer for a windows key. It's probably on the bottom. You can download a windows trial, and then upgrade to the full version. There is no need to buy a whole new computer, because this sounds like an OS issue.

And there's no need to be intemidated by Linux. It can be a love-hate relationship, but as long as you know how to look in the documentation, forums, and man pages, you're golden. Mandriva and Ubuntu are very noob-friendly. After 30 minutes, you'll be past the learning curve.

The key is rubbed off of the sticker. I also don't like this laptop very much. I have every intention of getting it working again, but its really big and bulky, a 17" screen isn't very portable.

I've been just messing about in Ubuntu and I can't get an internet connection on my laptop. I need to get a wifi driver, but even if i hard-line to my router I can't get connected.
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 19-07-10 19:41
Try booting the laptop while you have the cable plugged in.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-07-10 20:09
spyware wrote:
Try booting the laptop while you have the cable plugged in.

No luck, it just seems like its trying to connect for a bit then said I'm disconnected.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-07-10 20:17
You can also try downloading a torrent. There always seems to be one driver that doesn't work. But you should be able to go to your laptop manufacturer's web site, and download all the drivers without too much trouble.

For my laptop, getting wireless working was kind of a roundabout process. I found the model number for my wireless card on a sticker, found what drivers supported my driver on a wikihow page, and then followed the documentation for installing that driver.

edit: Not having drivers working kind of defeats a lot of the purpose of having a livecd. You may want to try out a different disto.

Edited by on 19-07-10 20:20
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-07-10 20:25
maug wrote:
You can also try downloading a torrent. There always seems to be one driver that doesn't work. But you should be able to go to your laptop manufacturer's web site, and download all the drivers without too much trouble.

For my laptop, getting wireless working was kind of a roundabout process. I found the model number for my wireless card on a sticker, found what drivers supported my driver on a wikihow page, and then followed the documentation for installing that driver.

edit: Not having drivers working kind of defeats a lot of the purpose of having a livecd. You may want to try out a different disto.

For sure, I was thinking about doing something like that. I'm just curious why I can't get on-line at all even with an Ethernet. I think if I can get the drivers on my laptop it would work fine, I jsut have no way to connect to the internet and download them
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 19-07-10 22:59
deshdude1754 wrote:
For sure, I was thinking about doing something like that. I'm just curious why I can't get on-line at all even with an Ethernet. I think if I can get the drivers on my laptop it would work fine, I jsut have no way to connect to the internet and download them

Man, it should be supported. Open a console and type "(sudo) ifconfig eth0 up".

Then type "(sudo) ifconfig eth0" and post the results here.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-07-10 23:40
spyware wrote:

Man, it should be supported. Open a console and type "(sudo) ifconfig eth0 up".

Then type "(sudo) ifconfig eth0" and post the results here.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ifconfig eth0 up
ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:23:8b:b6:fd:20
inet6 addr: fe80::223:8bff:feb6:fd20/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:139 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:17 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:26277 (26.2 KB) TX bytes:4230 (4.2 KB)
Interrupt:30 Base address:0x6000

Edited by on 19-07-10 23:42
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2