Follow us on Twitter!
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself. - Galileo
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 25
Guests Online: 25
Members Online: 0

Registered Members: 82839
Newest Member: fezphantom
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Author

Two Suggestions on the 100 points to post req.

rubix

Posted on 11-01-13 06:48
Hi all,

Firstly thank you to all all involved in this site. I am learning so much and enjoying it all.

My first suggestion is to increase the amount of points needed to post in the forum. From my own experience as a newbie. That 100 can be reached with very little knowledge especially using the Other Challenges. From these (Other challenges) I think I got 30 points. I know only thirty points-but for someone like me that would be a lot needed to match up in the rest of the challenges. My other suggestion is restricting the Other challenges section.

Reflecting I was really eager to get my hundred and post. But I feel getting that 100 was to easy, I did it in one sitting I think in 3 hours. This was a let down. I am faced with the sad skid realization that I have nothing to contribute. But have 'achieved' the means to post. It feels like putting a carrot in front of us skids and then it's too hard for our soft dentures to chew. If the req. was higher I think that I and others like me would be driven harder to learn and pass the challenges.
Doing this might improve the quality of the posts. And might make users have greater respect for the forum.
Author

RE: Two Suggestions on the 100 points to post req.

Mordak
Evil Sorcerer

Elite
Posted on 11-01-13 17:11
I agree on both your points. There will be a patch to the noob function for v1.1.0. As for other challenges my idea is once you are able to post then the other challenges will open up for you.

Edited by Mordak on 11-01-13 17:14
http://developers.hellboundhackers.org
Author

tuXthEhxR

Posted on 12-01-13 05:33
I must say that I disagree with your first suggestion, of requiring more points to post a thread. Points are relatively easy to come by if you just follow all the threads that are created as a walk through for them. It should stay at a hundred points yet restrict new members from viewing these threads.

Someone like myself, who is not all that interested in doing the challenges, and would much rather learn things at a more primitive level first and foremost, would be forced to spend an additional three hours doing challenges before being able to have full access. I wasn't lured to this site by the challenges, but rather the mentor forums; which I was sad to see go. Although they appeared to be a complete failure, though a great idea.

Prior to finding this site I was a complete 'noob', God I hate that word, and now I can program efficiently in over a dozen languages, and am getting better at spotting weaknesses in things everyday. I owe a lot to this site, not just about computers, but about respect and putting your time in. I probably would not have stayed if I was not able to gain full access to this site within an hour or two, and I probably would have spent another month or two being satisfied as a script kiddie. Anyone that appears to be temporarily satisfied being a script kiddie just needs to read some of Spyware's old threads. It will either force them into a new hobby, or light a fire under their ass.

Just my opinion, and my reasoning...

The password to the Constitution is Terrorists. The backup password is Protect_The_Children.
Author

rubix

Posted on 12-01-13 19:42
I see your point tuXthEhxR.

I know exactly what you mean with finding the weaknesses of things in everyday. I never thought I'd end up thinking of how to trick the way things are done in my day to day.

Out of interest why did the mentor forums go, I mean why did they fail?
Author

tuXthEhxR

Posted on 13-01-13 06:32
Pretty much those that were qualified to mentor others didn't want to spend a whole lot of time mentoring someone that had no understanding of the field, and those that wanted to spend a whole lot of time mentoring weren't really qualified. Of course I am sure there were exceptions, but that was my general understanding of the whole deal. I still think it was a great idea, and could only imagine how much faster I would have learned things, or would learn things, if I did have a mentor. I was sad to see it go, even though it didn't pan out.

The password to the Constitution is Terrorists. The backup password is Protect_The_Children.
Author

maug2

Posted on 22-01-13 06:22
I don't think there should be a point limit. HBH needs new members. You work with what you get.

The time getting the first few points isn't really learning anything imo - it's looking for the low hanging fruit and/or acclimatizing to hbh's special way of doing things.

tip the cup, feed the fire, and forget about useless fucking hope. - a desolation song, agalloch