Follow us on Twitter!
The measure of a mans life is not how well he dies, but how well he lives.
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 21
Guests Online: 17
Members Online: 4

Registered Members: 82811
Newest Member: IsaiahBowman
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Author

Total Active time

Your avatar

Posted on 17-02-10 19:28
You know what would be cool, a total time active counter for our profiles, I want to see how sad I am/ how much time I spend on HBH.

Author

RE: Total Active time

ynori7

God
Posted on 17-02-10 19:40
Meh, probably not gonna happen. We've got a whole long list of useful things to be implemented that probably never will be.

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

korg
Admin from hell

God
Posted on 17-02-10 20:18
We'll just add it to the list. Doesn't matter if there's 1 thing or 100. Just a nice big wish list.:angry:

i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/korg1269/shodan13.jpg

I deal in pain, All life I drain, I dominate, I seal your fate.
O R
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-02-10 20:56
I didn't know there was a non EM suggestions section.

Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 17-02-10 21:01
There, moved.

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-02-10 21:08
If you have any experience with HBH's sqld you realize that doing even more with it would be a baaaaaaaad move.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-02-10 01:23
Compromise wrote:
If you have any experience with HBH's sqld you realize that doing even more with it would be a baaaaaaaad move.

This one wouldn't require any extra SQL powers. The datetime is already being compared on the online member list, so it could just be added to the query as a retrieved field. Have a static list of formatted datetimes and user associations in JSON, then use the Javascript Date class to compare those datetimes to the current datetime and get an interval of time for this visit.

The only server-side calls would be the ones that are already happening.

... Then again, this idea isn't too terribly useful, so I'm not sure the implementation of it is more than just interesting. Pfft

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-02-10 02:02
YEA, what he said!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-02-10 02:30
I noticed it on another site(forgot which) and I thought it was an awesome idea!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-02-10 05:33
@Define:

While what you're saying would reduce the number of sql queries and strain on the database, unless im misunderstanding you, it wouldn't be a no-addition scenario. one of the big issues here is persistence. yes we have the online time for a session being somewhat tracked through the online use function (im not entirely sure how that's coded up, there's a few implementations i can think of. some with more benefits than others, but i digress...), but that time has to get stored somewhere. again, depending on the implementation you can reduce this (technically you could offload it to some sort of file-based system), but you'd still end up having to query the database for past times to add up.

it's late, so if i misread something and this is all way off, disregard Smile

~samurai

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-02-10 13:17
only_samurai wrote:
one of the big issues here is persistence. yes we have the online time for a session being somewhat tracked through the online use function, but that time has to get stored somewhere.

That's just it. Persistence only matters in the case of a current session. Outside of an individual's visit here, the online time doesn't have to persist... It just has to be available for an individual's viewing while they're here. Unless, of course, we're handing out awards for longest time wasted here... in which case we'd want to store the times to solve disputes. Pfft

Here are the steps I'm envisioning:
1. Get last login datetime from DB using same query as member online list.
2. Format user & datetime pairs as JSON using PHP.
3. Echo the JSON into a script block to expose it to Javascript as a variable.
4. Let Javascript calculate online time and place that amount back in JSON.
5. jQuery up some hovers on usernames or whatever to show online time.
6. Timeout 60k to add a minute to each time every minute, also using JS.

This is ideal because:
1. There are no additional SQL queries (the datetime is retrieved from an existing query that is already checking the datetime).
2. All of the processing happens client-side w/ Javascript, so no extra load on server.
3. Javascript is required for shoutbox to function, so it's not an unrealistic expectation to code up the functionality with it.

Edit: I could code this one up myself, if that is preferred. Just offering.

Edited by on 18-02-10 13:18
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-02-10 13:23
define wrote:
Edit: I could code this one up myself, if that is preferred. Just offering.

You could throw it in your greasemonkey script, but I feel like that that's pretty "heavy" already. You could make it a debugging option or something.

Also, you're never on AIM nowadays, pay a visit once in a while :).

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-02-10 22:50
I think samurai and I are talking about two different things. I was talking about online time just being a single session thing that goes away when you leave. I think he was referring to online time as an accumulated total across sessions.

... which, for that, we would need to either run another query or update the field in the logout query.

Compromise wrote:
You could throw it in your greasemonkey script, but I feel like that that's pretty "heavy" already. You could make it a debugging option or something.

Also, you're never on AIM nowadays, pay a visit once in a while Smile.

Yeah, would require too many AJAX calls to profile pages to get that datetime.

... Forgot my AIM password, but will prob jump on IRC every now and then. Smile

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 09-04-10 00:58
Yes, the development list has grown quite alot.
But the way our current code is organized, or rather; Not organized.
Makes it hard to implement something somewhere, without having to change 1-* more files.

A while back I was working on revamp of the site, making it modularized and more SEO friendly. Although the lack of spare time makes it hard at this moment. First step would be to clean up what we call the core since it's overfilled with dupes and bogus funtions which brings more confusion than efficiency.

There's also this issue that our current server is "slightly" unstable, and fixing that is our main priority as far as I'm concerned.

Author

bl4ckc4t

Your avatar

Wiseman
Posted on 11-04-10 04:03
Sounds like a cool idea, but I agree with root_op, the server should be the main priority.
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 12-04-10 19:52
root_op wrote:
There's also this issue that our current server is "slightly" unstable....

Slightly? Lol

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

4rm4g3dd0n

Active User
Posted on 10-06-10 00:43
I think a Maths Section would be cool you know like one that has problems that take programming skills to solve not simple math projecteuler.net type problems for example
c:/users
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-06-10 01:34
4rm4g3dd0n wrote:
I think a Maths Section would be cool you know like one that has problems that take programming skills to solve not simple math projecteuler.net type problems for example

No I don't know, could you give an example of what you're thinking of? Because project euler type problems are exactly math problems designed to be solved with programming skills.

Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 10-06-10 03:25
4rm4g3dd0n wrote:

I've made a number of programming challenges like that. Unfortunately things are very slow-moving around here.