Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author

Starting a new company

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 28-11-10 09:09
Hi Smile

this is probably the wrong forum fort this thread, but here I go anyway... Pfft

I am currently attending college and majoring in Computer Science, and it seems like I am not meant for school. it's just too boring and too slow. So I thought of maybe creating my own company for development of back-end systems. I have been working on some web based projects for a while now, and it feels like some of them are really good.

Now, I must admit that I have 0 experience in the field of Web businesses, so I dont really know where to start. So I was wondering, can you guys maybe give me some advice?
What should I think about before starting the company? etc.

also, assuming that I have a good back-end product for management of inventory, employees, etc. How do I come in contact with clients that may be interested in this certain type of applications? is this even a market worth going into?

thanks in advance
//Demons Halo

base_dropper@hotmail.com www.demonshalo.com
Author

RE: Starting a new company

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 28-11-10 13:02
You'll fail.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 28-11-10 19:57
Demons Halo wrote:
Hi Smile

this is probably the wrong forum fort this thread, but here I go anyway... Pfft

I am currently attending college and majoring in Computer Science, and it seems like I am not meant for school. it's just too boring and too slow. So I thought of maybe creating my own company for development of back-end systems. I have been working on some web based projects for a while now, and it feels like some of them are really good.

Of course school is not fun. If it's not the subject matter that's interesting, you can take a break. It's better than finding out you don't really want to be a whatever. I know the mid terms are pretty hard for whatevers. But college credits don't go anywhere. I took a 2 year break after high school. It gives you time to collect yourself.

Now, I must admit that I have 0 experience in the field of Web businesses, so I dont really know where to start. So I was wondering, can you guys maybe give me some advice?
What should I think about before starting the company? etc.
So what you're saying is that you will not be working in your field. To get started, you can do free work, free lance work, and internships. You build up a portfolio for this kind of work.

also, assuming that I have a good back-end product for management of inventory, employees, etc. How do I come in contact with clients that may be interested in this certain type of applications? is this even a market worth going into?

This isn't the dot com boom anymore. You need money, and you need to have experience.

Edited by on 28-11-10 20:00
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 29-11-10 00:07
maug wrote:
This isn't the dot com boom anymore. You need money, and you need to have experience.

Acccccctually. "Companies" like Twitter succeed these days, don't they? I'd say we're back in boom-land, 2.0. The new dot com is dot me. Social. Simplicity. Nihilistic logos, AJAXified webpages. Users develop. Etc.

Bloody excrement if you ask me, but it's here.

[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-11-10 00:58
spyware wrote:
maug wrote:

Acccccctually. "Companies" like Twitter succeed these days, don't they? I'd say we're back in boom-land, 2.0. The new dot com is dot me. Social. Simplicity. Nihilistic logos, AJAXified webpages. Users develop. Etc.

ok... so I could very well make the next facebook. But it would take me 5 years, I would have no income until I'm some kind of techie celebrity, and my diet would probably be something like cold potatoes and vitamin pills. But if I wanted work by tomorrow, I'd place my bet on free lance or an internship.

Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 29-11-10 08:46
spyware wrote:
maug wrote:

Even though you are a total douchebag I will have to agree with you.... besides the new APIs for the mobile market that are out there will keep pushing the bubble toward expansion.

maug wrote:
ok... so I could very well make the next facebook. But it would take me 5 years, I would have no income until I'm some kind of techie celebrity, and my diet would probably be something like cold potatoes and vitamin pills. But if I wanted work by tomorrow, I'd place my bet on free lance or an internship.

That's why it's often done by a group of people, 2-3 ppl.

but that is actually not my problem. I am not trying to be the next Zuckerberg. I am just trying to get enough information to start my oun self-sustaining company ;P
Author

AldarHawk

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 29-11-10 12:13
Demons Halo,
If you have no experience at all you will not succeed in this world. You do need to use places like elance and vworker to get yourself known. But you will need to realize that on these freelance type sites you are competing against Chinese and Indian workers who love to bottom out the bids.
The world of free lance is down and dirty. I suggest finishing your courses. Some people say that a diploma or degree will get you no where but it will get you further than nothing honestly.
Yes this is not the dot com boom any more, however, there are always those innovative sites that take and spread like wildfire. But, the chance of hitting that is one in a million.

If you want some information into some other fields you can start looking into if Computer Science is not up your alley hit me up and I will let you know some other options out there.

Just ask Yahoo!Taboo! http://www.erikwestlake.com
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 29-11-10 14:13
Do something that someone else hasen't, and based on the current trend, make it simpler.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

goluhaque

Apprentice
Warn Level: 30
Posted on 29-11-10 15:19
yours31f wrote:
Do something that someone else hasen't

And that is the most difficult thing.

That applause I receive from y'all on posting this post would have gotten me drunk on power if I hadn't already been high on life.
Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 29-11-10 20:06
AldarHawk wrote:
Demons Halo,
If you have no experience at all you will not succeed in this world. You do need to use places like elance and vworker to get yourself known. But you will need to realize that on these freelance type sites you are competing against Chinese and Indian workers who love to bottom out the bids.
The world of free lance is down and dirty. I suggest finishing your courses. Some people say that a diploma or degree will get you no where but it will get you further than nothing honestly.
Yes this is not the dot com boom any more, however, there are always those innovative sites that take and spread like wildfire. But, the chance of hitting that is one in a million.

If you want some information into some other fields you can start looking into if Computer Science is not up your alley hit me up and I will let you know some other options out there.

Thns for the advice Smile
Well, I am currently majoring in computer science, and I am almost done with all my major courses. The only thing that is left is the MATH. and I hate math... Web development does not require that much math, that's why I believe it would be better in case I dropped off and started working on my web app skills instead.

Freelance sites are great, but you rarely find any job where you can get good money for the time you put in :/

I am not trying to create the next facebook. Having a company with a modest revenue is more than enough for a startup like me :$

cool thanks!

yours31f wrote:
Do something that someone else hasen't, and based on the current trend, make it simpler.

well, assuming that I have such a product (which I dont), how do I get in touch with clients that might be willing to buy it?! is there any widly known method for doing that?

Edited by Demons Halo on 29-11-10 20:07
Author

AldarHawk

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 29-11-10 20:35
I am certain you have my contact info. Hit me up in AIM/MSN/Skype and we will chat.

Just ask Yahoo!Taboo! http://www.erikwestlake.com
Author

cyber-guard

Posted on 29-11-10 20:45
Demons Halo wrote:
Freelance sites are great, but you rarely find any job where you can get good money for the time you put in :/

This is true when you start off, but after couple of months, when you establish yourself well enough, it starts to be a well profitable venture...
And this is the same with starting a company, at the start you will probably have to undercut your prices, go that extra mile to get a good feeback, and make your clients return or even refer other people by doing 'more for less'.

I am not trying to create the next facebook. Having a company with a modest revenue is more than enough for a startup like me :$

Believe it or not, but even the latter is quite a challenge, especially in today economic climate.

yours31f wrote:

well, assuming that I have such a product (which I dont), how do I get in touch with clients that might be willing to buy it?! is there any widly known method for doing that?

Well depends what it is, I mean would it be an off the shelf solution, or something customized; or perhaps equitable interest in the product. It all depends...
But for any clients, make the most of social networks, send link to all your friends, and then the regular bs, register on forums etc. and be active...
Also use people you already know in person, don't be afraid and ask for any opportunity to score a job. The initial part is the hardest, a lot of work and not a awful lot of revenue. You need to take your time, even facebook didn't happen over one day.

Check our new md5 cracker:http://www.cyber-. . .d5-cracker
http://www.cyber-. . .
http://twitter.co. . .
[mail]contact@cyber-guard.co.uk[/mail]

Edited by cyber-guard on 29-11-10 20:48
http://www.cyber-guard.co.uk/
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 29-11-10 23:52
cyber-guard wrote:
But for any clients, make the most of social networks, send link to all your friends, and then the regular bs, register on forums etc. and be active...

I'd advise you to do the exact opposite. Dwell in mystery, thrive in exclusiveness. Remain unseen but not unheard. Price your product(s) outrageously so your profits will be outrageous as well.

Commercials, advertisements and other pleads directed towards potential customers shall have an effect not quite, but astoundingly near the opposite of what you want to achieve. Instead of trying to become well-known, you (c/sh)ould plunge yourself into the depth that is called "the elite". Cater to few but cater them good.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
[/s
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 30-11-10 16:06
MoshBat wrote:
Or you could do the opposite and make a shitload of money.

Shush.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
[/s
Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 30-11-10 20:45
cyber-guard wrote:
This is true when you start off, but after couple of months, when you establish yourself well enough, it starts to be a well profitable venture...
And this is the same with starting a company, at the start you will probably have to undercut your prices, go that extra mile to get a good feeback, and make your clients return or even refer other people by doing 'more for less'.

That seems like a reasonable thing to do, but the problem as I see it is finding the clients that are willing to try your solution and give you the needed feedback. :/

Well depends what it is, I mean would it be an off the shelf solution, or something customized; or perhaps equitable interest in the product. It all depends...
Also use people you already know in person, don't be afraid and ask for any opportunity to score a job. The initial part is the hardest, a lot of work and not a awful lot of revenue. You need to take your time, even facebook didn't happen over one day.

ofc not. I am well aware of the fact that a lot of work is needed. My only concern is that finding clients that are willing to risk using an untested product is way to hard. Besides, there are a lot of open source solutions that costs practically nothing to install. Therefore, every product you offer have to be somewhat customized for every client, which I definitly dont mind. Finding those client is the key though :-P

is there some websites maybe where customized solutions are asked for by companies?
Author

goluhaque

Apprentice
Warn Level: 30
Posted on 01-12-10 07:47
[quote[is there some websites maybe where customized solutions are asked for by companies? [/quote]
The only sites I know that to happen on are freelance sites.

That applause I receive from y'all on posting this post would have gotten me drunk on power if I hadn't already been high on life.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 01-12-10 08:48
goluhaque wrote:
is there some websites maybe where customized solutions are asked for by companies?

The only sites I know that to happen on are freelance sites.

That's where selling yourself comes in. People don't seem to understand that free lance is pretty much the same thing as having a company of 1. You still need to be professional, and respect the customers. For small businesses, I think it's all about the return customers. A big part of getting return customers is knowing/selling/explaining what they need, not the most expencive and newist toys.

And freelance is not just about a select few websites. You can network through twitter, facebook, monster, craigslist, linkedin, talk to class mates, post fliers... It's like making music - if you can make noise with it, then it's fair game. I used to have a small printer paper sized poster stapled to my back pack advertising computer/laptop repair. Every time I post on craigs list I get 2-3 jobs, but that's all I need. You need to network, because you won't be able to do everything. For example I can't do tv installations, but people still ask me. I send those people to a class mate who also does free lance work.

Work on your portfolio. If you can't create a couple good sites for yourself, you don't even have a hope of getting a customer. The nice thing about internships is that they will teach you a lot. It is worth the experience to do work for free. Again, you'll have to sell yourself. You're cheep, you love learning, and you love working long hours. That's what you need to sell, not the "I'm a smart, young, misunderstood professional who's going to make the next myspace."

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 01-12-10 12:45
This post has actually ended up being quite an interesting read....
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 01-12-10 17:48
You could always attempt to find a job on a freelance site, that is looking for something that you may have already developed. One link that comes to mind is vworker.com, you might like to check that out.
Author

Mr_Cheese

Uber Elite
Posted on 02-12-10 09:24
when i left college having failed computing a-level and thus unable to get into uni :happy: i had 2 choices... get a job at a supermarket, or go self employed.

i chose to go freelance in web development. within two months i had a business producing a healthy income!

one thing to note is that in the beginning you will spend around the same amount of time actively looking for work as you will working on jobs. also getting paid is fucking irritating! you'll spend a large amount of time chasing clients to actually pay up! make sure you got everything agreed in writing over email before you start.

i got most of my clients from the UK site gumtree. Also myspace was quite popular back then and a lot of bands needed websites. I also got some clients from a local paper that had a job section.

as mentioned before in this thread, you'll need a good site selling yourself with a very slick portfolio. when i started i bought a couple of cheap domains and setup fake websites and put them on my portfolio Pfft

problem is over the last couple of years out-sourcing web design/development to india/romania has become extremely common as they are able to work for far cheaper than we can.

you could use this to your advantage. get client, find their needs, write a really good spec, outsource to india (rentacoder etc), wait a few days, tweak the code here and there... charge client 3 times as much as the project cost you. i imagine quite a few people follow this business model.

hope thats helpful!
http://www.hellboundhackers.org/
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >