Follow us on Twitter!
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself. - Galileo
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 33
Guests Online: 27
Members Online: 6

Registered Members: 82895
Newest Member: kevy90
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Author

Regarding recent articles

ynori7
Member



Posts: 1486
Location: #valhalla
Joined: 08.10.07
Rank:
God
Posted on 17-05-09 00:35
I don't know about the rest of you here, but I'm starting to get annoyed by the seemingly exponential increase in the amount of shit being accepted here. There's been a lot of talk about changing how things are handled and there have been a lot of pointing fingers, but everyone's been too lazy to actually start a discussion.

Clearly at least one of our admins is getting trigger happy with that accept button, so whoever that is ought to be scolded.

Also there really ought to be some sort of penalty for submitting a plagiarized article. I don't know if it's still the case, but people were allowed to keep the 15 CP earned from shit articles that get deleted. If it's still this way, it needs to be changed. The CP gained needs to be removed, and then some more ought to be taken away as well. Also, warn should be given.

I have an idea to make things slightly easier for the admins who do go and release shit without reading it first. When an article receives a certain number of poor ratings, admins should be notified and the article should be reviewed to determine whether or not it needs to be removed.

What are everybody else's thoughts on the subject?


halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

RE: Regarding recent articles


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 17-05-09 01:29
I think it should be more important to cheese to keep the regulars here happy. I do think if an article gets enough poor reviews then mods should be notified and the article reviewed.


Author

RE: Regarding recent articles

korg
Admin from hell



Posts: 2798
Location: ENDING YOUR ONLINE EXPERIENCE!
Joined: 01.01.06
Rank:
God
Posted on 17-05-09 02:50
No it's more important to get rid of the shit, So it doesn't make ALL of us look like assholes! One bad seed makes the whole bunch look bad.


i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/korg1269/shodan13.jpg

I deal in pain, All life I drain, I dominate, I seal your fate.
O R
Author

RE: Regarding recent articles

Futility
Member



Posts: 725
Location: USA
Joined: 17.12.07
Rank:
God
Posted on 17-05-09 02:56
ynori7 wrote:
I have an idea to make things slightly easier for the admins who do go and release shit without reading it first. When an article receives a certain number of poor ratings, admins should be notified and the article should be reviewed to determine whether or not it needs to be removed.

Do you really think that this would make a difference? Are the articles really flooding in so fast that the admins don't have a chance to see how they get welcomed by the community? No, no they aren't. The people that accept these articles know very well how atrocious they are, and yet they still don't care. Besides, do we really want to have to delete these articles in the first place? Shouldn't we at least be able to trust our fearless leaders to keep this shit away from us?

No, we obviously cannot. I remember back when I was admin that every new article was a race against time. I (we) had to read it, judge it, and, in most cases decline it, before someone logged in. If that particular name happened to appear before we were finished, then the article would be published within the minute, regardless of how it was written. That's quality control, eh?

If all it takes is one man's bad decision to ruin it for the rest of us, why don't we remove that power? Make every article require two accepts before being published. That way there's a safety net to make sure we only get the quality that we deserve. Let's make submitting good articles really matter- hell, let's make CPs themselves matter. Factor them into your rank, rather than forum posts. Be willing to dish out negative CPs, too (or hey- here's a thought! Why not add a 'Remove CP' option for you admins?) That way people that really care about points (in most cases the ones that are willing to submit half-assed copy/paste articles and make shitty posts in the forum) have something to fear.

But, alas, I am already sure that none of what is discussed here will come to pass. Why? Because people don't care. You all remember the 'God rank too easy' thread, I assume. How much of what was discussed got done? How many of you have been angered by this? How many of you have voiced this anger? Two, maybe three at the most. If you want things done you have to take a part, not some other guy. You have to complain about things you don't like, and, most importantly, you have to demand that those things change. Only so much can be accomplished by a single voice, but all of us together should be enough to really make a difference.

So voice your thoughts and opinions and complaints. Don't let this thread die with a measly three posts because you don't think your idea is good enough. I know how annoyed you are with the measly content control. You know how annoyed you are with the measly content control. It's time to let everyone else know it, too.


i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/zanimabean/Zim.png
Futility91@hotmail.com Futility91
Author

RE: Regarding recent articles

korg
Admin from hell



Posts: 2798
Location: ENDING YOUR ONLINE EXPERIENCE!
Joined: 01.01.06
Rank:
God
Posted on 17-05-09 03:23
First off if this was my website any of these articles would been gone.
I wouldn't want my people looking fucking stupid because of someone else's bullshit. Most of the articles wrote and accepted are fucked up and old or wrong. Fuck the google search if you look like dipshits.


i57.photobucket.com/albums/g215/korg1269/shodan13.jpg

I deal in pain, All life I drain, I dominate, I seal your fate.

Edited by korg on 17-05-09 03:27
O R
Author

RE: Regarding recent articles


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 17-05-09 05:51
I would put my thoughts in points as follows:

1. Each and every article should be approved by atleast 2 admins. That would help to achieve more quality articles.
2. Negative CPs should be given for bad articles.
3. CPs should have an effect on the rank.

Futility wrote:
So voice your thoughts and opinions and complaints. Don't let this thread die with a measly three posts because you don't think your idea is good enough. I know how annoyed you are with the measly content control. You know how annoyed you are with the measly content control. It's time to let everyone else know it, too.


I am with you.Smile
Author

RE: Regarding recent articles

stealth-
Member



Posts: 1003
Location: Eh?
Joined: 10.04.09
Rank:
Mad User
Posted on 17-05-09 05:58
These are really good ideas here and I hope they are thoroughly considered. Because to be honest, as a new(er) member of HBH I have yet to learn anything really useful from the 'latest articles' section.


The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

RE: Regarding recent articles

p4plus2
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 167
Location:
Joined: 31.03.08
Rank:
Newbie
Posted on 17-05-09 06:36
Also, you could try consequences to any admin who lets through X amount of poor articles over X period of time. Though a bit extreme it may make people just passing articles through reconsider.


"You can't be something your not,
Be yourself by yourself
Stay away from me" ~Walk, Pantera

"Playing an acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on" ~Dave Mustaine
p4plus2@hotmail.com
Author

RE: Regarding recent articles


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 17-05-09 08:54
I've been bitching about this for a long time, especially to Futility to clean up the mess after some of the articles. So he's basically posted my thoughts, no need for me to go through what I think then, I'll just say I agree.
However, I would have a question. If two admins are needed to accept the articles, how would declining them work? Would it need at least two, or just one, or a certain time without getting accepted?
Also, if we're not going to change it so it needs two admins to accept it we could at least actually make a decent delete button for the admins which includes the removal of at least 15 CPs from the person and delete the article, preferably from the navigation bar as well. I'd say making warning a default might be a bit harsh, some articles aren't so thoroughly awful that the person would actually need to be warned. They just don't have any business being accepted, that's all.


Author

RE: Regarding recent articles


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 17-05-09 14:33
Well if it helps I've been doing some nice research lately on bluetooth hacking and such that could make some nice articles.


Author

RE: Regarding recent articles

Futility
Member



Posts: 725
Location: USA
Joined: 17.12.07
Rank:
God
Posted on 17-05-09 17:47
korg wrote:
First off if this was my website any of these articles would been gone.
I wouldn't want my people looking fucking stupid because of someone else's bullshit. Most of the articles wrote and accepted are fucked up and old or wrong. Fuck the google search if you look like dipshits.

The only problem here is that the hammer has been laid down. Back during Zephyr's change campaign, he suggested a pruning of the article section- just like what had been done for the code bank. Someone replied with a flat-out no because SEO was more important than content. Zeph then went ahead and explained other ways to SEO this site, so that we don't have to rely on shitty articles. Once again someone said no. It's too much work to change how things are done, even if it sucks. If I still had access to the admin forum, I would show you the exact quotes.

Anyway- I think the warn was meant for people that blatantly copy/pasted their articles. If you were warned every time an article was declined, it would scare the majority of the people into not submitting anything.

There should also be a log kept of who accepts what articles. That way those responsible could be punished. In fact, this could even be viewable by the public. Put at the bottom of every article "Published by x". That way, if people want to complain, they can. If that's too much, then you could just assign each admin a number (admin1, admin2...) and put that instead of their real name. That way people could see that it's always the same guy accepting them (and vice versa). Although I still stand by my original idea of 2 votes to keep, I'm just throwing out alternatives.

If it takes two admin to accept an article, then fairness dictates that it should take two to decline, as well.


i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/zanimabean/Zim.png
Futility91@hotmail.com Futility91
Author

RE: Regarding recent articles

chess_rock
Member



Posts: 244
Location:
Joined: 20.02.08
Rank:
Apprentice
Posted on 17-05-09 19:48
I have a suggestion...

Admins could set another rank based on community cps... like:

inactive, active, elite contribution, etc...

the higher the rank, the higher could be the privileges of the members, such as: rating and writing articles, unlimited number of forum posts per day, etc...

what do you guys think?
Author

RE: Regarding recent articles


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 17-05-09 20:03
chess_rock wrote:
I have a suggestion...

Admins could set another rank based on community cps... like:

inactive, active, elite contribution, etc...

the higher the rank, the higher could be the privileges of the members, such as: rating and writing articles, unlimited number of forum posts per day, etc...

what do you guys think?

I think it's a dumbass idea that should be avoided.


Author

RE: Regarding recent articles


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 17-05-09 20:44
How about this one. It takes 2 Admin votes to get articles published, that I can agree with, but how about members that have 10+ articles not needing approval if their articles have a mostly good rating. More quality articles from the people who write them well faster.


Author

RE: Regarding recent articles


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 17-05-09 21:26
Lemur wrote:
How about this one. It takes 2 Admin votes to get articles published, that I can agree with, but how about members that have 10+ articles not needing approval if their articles have a mostly good rating. More quality articles from the people who write them well faster.

I disagree with not needing any approval at all, because someone has written a couple of good articles it doesn't guarantee the upcoming ones will be good as well. Basically: all articles should be checked by an admin, after all that's what the system is there for in the first place. However, I reckon that if they have enough articles with enough good ratings then it could be reduced to just needing one admin's approval.


Author

RE: Regarding recent articles

spyware
Member



Posts: 4192
Location:
Joined: 14.04.07
Rank:
God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 17-05-09 21:29
ITT: Cheese needs to stop accepting crap.

When I was mod/admin (both times), I remembered HBH staff F5'ing the submitted article page around the clock to prevent others from accepting crap.

All that really works is designated article checkers. Those checkers shouldn't have conflicts of interest. (Upping site content by accepting everything/kissing up to cheese).



img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce