View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author

"New" FAQ

Futility

God
Posted on 04-03-09 00:40
Do you guys remember all the ideas the were tossed about in the 'God rank too easy thread"? Of course you don't- that was a long time ago and a lot of things were suggested. Fortunately for you, I was recently given the rights to do a couple more tweaks around here and, with my new found privileges in mind, went back to the thread looking for something I could put into action.

I quickly found a fantastic rewritten FAQ by clone4 and COM and have spent the last 45 minutes or so tweaking it to fit the new standards as well as adding some of my own. And I have finally gotten it all posted. Now I'm wondering- what do you guys think? What needs to be added? What needs to be changed? What needs to be removed? Even if it's a lowly spelling or grammar error, let me know.

So thanks again to you clone4 and COM, the FAQ is a wonderful improvement to the site- that old one was... well... sparse, obsolete, and overall pretty useless.

i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/zanimabean/Zim.png
Futility91@hotmail.com Futility91
Author

RE: "New" FAQ

Your avatar

Posted on 04-03-09 01:10
PMd you what I found, hop to it Grin
Other than that, nice, was wondering when it'd be implemented. Most of the credit to clone4 though, he was the one who first sat down and wrote most of it.

Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 04-03-09 02:00
I'm really glad to see this! Wondered if would it ever get updated, so thanks Futility.
Just a little small suggestion to the CP bit, you might want to mention that for some knowledeable and informative posts admins sometimes mey decide to throw couple of more cp at you.
Also I've been saying that from the beginning and will keep on, I think that especially after this update, every new member should be sent link to the faq in a welcome pm, with 'strong' suggestion to read it

[img][/img]img164.imageshack.us/img164/5713/perlvl0.jpg

clone4.freehostia.com/ubuntu_3.png
spyware - "They see me trollin'..."
<yaragn> ever seen that movie? The Matrix?
<yaragn> with those green lines of flying text?
<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

Futility

God
Posted on 04-03-09 02:07
clone4 wrote:
I'm really glad to see this! Wondered if would it ever get updated, so thanks Futility.
Just a little small suggestion to the CP bit, you might want to mention that for some knowledeable and informative posts admins sometimes mey decide to throw couple of more cp at you.

Done

Also I've been saying that from the beginning and will keep on, I think that especially after this update, every new member should be sent link to the faq in a welcome pm, with 'strong' suggestion to read it

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, my power only extends so far. I will, however, talk with mosh/system/Cheese/root/any-admin-other-than-me about it later, and see if I can convince them it's worth it.

Edited by Futility on 04-03-09 02:10
Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 04-03-09 02:31
Futility wrote:
clone4 wrote:

Done

That was quick, I like to see thatSmile

I agree wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, my power only extends so far. I will, however, talk with mosh/system/Cheese/root/any-admin-other-than-me about it later, and see if I can convince them it's worth it.[/quote]

Yeah I understand, I will pm somebody about that as well, this could realy prevent a lot of useless threads and questions in general, so it's definitely worth a shotSmile

<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-03-09 04:11
under challenges, in the second paragraph, you put, "Such as exploiting a item of the challenge," It should be, "Such as exploiting an item of the challenge,"

you asked for grammatical errors. Pfft

Edited by on 04-03-09 04:14
Author

Futility

God
Posted on 04-03-09 05:20
sharline23 wrote:
under challenges, in the second paragraph, you put, "Such as exploiting a item of the challenge," It should be, "Such as exploiting an item of the challenge,"

Fixed

you asked for grammatical errors. Pfft

I did, didn't I. I know how painful it used to be to read through the old version and I want to try and keep that pain to a minimum. I would, however, enjoy some real feedback along with the menial grammar gotchas.

Are there any questions that you've just been itching to ask? Are there any questions you've seen asked a million times that I haven't put in there yet? Anything at all?

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 04-03-09 05:24
Under "Where should I start", you should put Google.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

Edited by yours31f on 04-03-09 05:24
yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-03-09 05:31
I did, didn't I. I know how painful it used to be to read through the old version and I want to try and keep that pain to a minimum. I would, however, enjoy some real feedback along with the menial grammar gotchas.

Are there any questions that you've just been itching to ask? Are there any questions you've seen asked a million times that I haven't put in there yet? Anything at all?

Sorry, I suppose that was pretty asinine now that I think about it.

Comming from a less experienced hacker, it actually helps alot. I really wish it would have been around when I first joined. It's less hostile it seems (although I haven't read the first FAQ in months.)

I totally support that.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-03-09 09:45
yours31f wrote:

sharline23 wrote:
I totally support that.

I don't.

As much as I support google I wouldn't want to just use that there. If you just started out and know fuck all about computers and somehow accidentally managed to stumble onto this site, then google won't help you much. If you've got no clue what to google for then it's useless.
You can get an idea where to start by hanging around communities such as this and if you've found something that looks even slightly interesting then finally you can go from there. Also google isn't the only way, there're articles, people, communities, links on pages with relevant material to other pages with more, wikipedia, books (remember, those things that ebooks are modelled after), the list goes on. Google is only one option once you have a rough idea, a better message to convey to them is that if they now are interested in something then they should try their best to find it themselves in the ocean of information out there and then if you have to, you can recommend google as one of the top things they can use.
But, google is still only the second step in the process, the first being to find out what to search for. And that is where most people who ask that question should have problems, else they're just annoying and deserve the answer "google".

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 04-03-09 12:39
I completely agree. I didn't mean only Google. I meant just add on to it with that.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 04-03-09 12:47
yours31f wrote:
I completely agree. I didn't mean only Google. I meant just add on to it with that.

Agreeing twice? Hypocritical splice.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 04-03-09 13:02
yours31f wrote:

google IS mentined there, if I remember well in more then one instance, thus there's no need for repetition.
By this I'd close and leave this proposal...

<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 04-03-09 13:10
Oh, you should probably add something like this to the FAQ:

Q: "Should I hang around for a week or two to see how things work around here before I actively start contributing?"

A: "Yes."

[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-03-09 14:46
clone4 wrote:
google IS mentined there, if I remember well in more then one instance, thus there's no need for repetition.
By this I'd close and leave this proposal...

Oh yeah, that too of course.
Anyhow, speaking of questions, I have something I've been wondering about. What are the stars beneath some users' avatars?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-03-09 19:28
Congrats, Futility, on making the FAQ into something worthwhile

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 04-03-09 19:37
Wgettable article archive. Thanks.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-03-09 19:42
...sorry about failing to recognize the other contributors, notably clone4 and COM. Thanks to all!

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 04-03-09 19:42
MoshBat wrote:So you want me to shove all of the articles in an archive???? There are loads, you know... Besides, it would probably be only you who would do that, so until it's a bit more... Popular, I won't bother Grin No offence.

Okay, tar per 10mb worth of articles then.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 04-03-09 21:54
@Moshbat: Latest codebank entries on the frontpage. Also updating the frontpage, removing the really old stuff (like in the latest features) and adding some new. Rven though I remember that something similiar was aked and refused by Cheese some time before
Oh and I sent quite long pm to Futility with couple of suggestions for the competitions, but generally I'd like to see more of them, within a shorter time span (like one month). I know that it's not directly dev topic,but still worth mentioning

<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >