RE: Other Challenges

Your avatar

Posted on 02-07-05 10:34
Not moving, I've noticed that too, weird... o.O my sig is posessed Shock

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-07-05 20:30
I don't think submitting defacements would be such a good idea, you're just asking for people to go out and hack and deface sights. You might be getting many people in trouble with that idea.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-07-05 21:11
Yeah

Author

Mr_Cheese

Uber Elite
Posted on 04-07-05 21:28
nights_shadow wrote:
I don't think submitting defacements would be such a good idea, you're just asking for people to go out and hack and deface sights. You might be getting many people in trouble with that idea.

that is kinda the idea. - rewarded for political hacktizism

Also, it would mean we get less script kiddies, because they'd go off and try to brute force the fbi login and then gte busted. Thats 1 less SK Smile

http://www.hellboundhackers.org/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-07-05 22:22
Still, i'm kind of weary on this idea. If people start getting in trouble for trying and/or succeeding in defacing a site, it may put a lot of unwanted publicity to the site. You're saying, even though you may have some legal thing, that you get points for hacking and defacing a site. Even though it can't be random, you're still talking about doing something illegal for the site.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-07-05 23:14
You would have to be fairly idiotic to misinterpret the challenge badly enough to get yourself in serious trouble, but at the same time I would not overestimate the common sense levels of the public.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-07-05 23:26
Summerica wrote:
You would have to be fairly idiotic to misinterpret the challenge badly enough to get yourself in serious trouble, but at the same time I would not overestimate the common sense levels of the public.

Well, i mean, you're asking people to go out and deface a site for points. Even though it may seem fair to you to deface some nazi site or something, that's not how people are going to see it and what if they succeeded. Like some person found an exploit, but didn't use a proxy and got their ass in trouble. Would this site be to blame, it is possible. Not to mention that many "authorities" will be keeping a CLOSE eye on this site seeing as defacements would be originating from this site. Not like they aren't already, but now they'd be able to proof it.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-07-05 00:07
I'm not a legal expert by any means, but I feel I am knowledgable in legal matters. As I see it promoting the defacing of someone else's site even with a a disclaimer, and even for "evil" websites does not make it legal. The simple fact would be that this site would be promoting the oppression of free speech. If this site supports defacing someone ele's website, we will draw negative attention from the authorities. In the legal sense, the cause you're supporting or the site you're defacing doesn't matter (as long as it's not a government website, in which case you're in really deep trouble), the simple fact doesn't change that this site is publically supporting blantantly illegal actions.

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 05-07-05 23:43
alright, here is what i think would be a good solution to the defacement idea.

now, i personally do not support defacements, as i feel that they interfer with the average users Internet usage and it makes people hate hackers even more.

that being said, i think that we could do something like 2600's future defacement archive. what i eman is that the site in question is not actually defaced, but instead someone designs an index.html file (or even a whole new site) that they would put on the site in question if they ever were to deface it.

i think that we could see who can come up with the most amusing parody of the site that they have chosen. that way, nothing is destropyed/defaced, the admins don't have a headache trying to fix up the site, and the general public won't go on another hacker hating spree. plus, that, to me, seems to be alot better than just going and putting up some page on a site that says "Fuck Microsost" or whatever...

"Root is a state of mind" -- K0resh
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-07-05 01:57
Well legally as long as we do not specify nor tell people to do the defacements we will be legally ok; The authorities are unable to use anything on this site against us in a trial (See "Site Legal"); I wrote that myself to make sure that they would be unable to do as such; We could say " If you happen to do a defacement that is helpful to your (Not our) cause, submit it here... " and we can't just give them points for defacement, but rather have people vote on how well the defacement got across a message without destroying beautiful code; E.G.:

In the news table:
Code

You beleive.... and I disagree, here
 are some sites to prove my thoughts
behind this... :
(Url)
(Url)
(Url)

Thank you for considering the alternative;
-Name (Or not)

That sort of thing, but not deleting everything and putting up the homepage as a blank page stating (At the top usually)

' u'V b33n h4x0r3d bi: u$ern4m3'... just a thought;

BTW, Mr_Cheese, whatever you want to do on this site, I can almost always make it legally possible, just ask yourself if that is what you want on this site...

Just some thoughts...

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-07-05 06:24
I would vote nay on this idea. In my mind, it demeans the whole idea of HBH as a gathering place for intelligent and dedicated people to learn and talk. Because whether we officially endorse defacements or not, people are going to read between the lines and see that it is smiled upon. From there, I don't think we would be able to stop the skiddies who would show up and try to gain prestige from submitting defacements. There are vastly more of them than of us, anyways.

As it is, I do not approve of defacements anyways. The one liners that Deshouleres mentioned are the worst, but there are not many that are much better. If someone has a severe issue with a site and feels that the only way to fight the issue is to deface it, then that is their choice. But as soon as you encourage people to deface, you are guaranteeing that they do not have a real reason to do it, because their incentive is now to demonstrate back to you. As I see it, this can have no effect but to make defacements more pointless and useless than before.

All that can do is grant fame to skiddies, and help encourage them. As it is we have enough Google hackers, being told of an exploit and then searching every site they can until they find one that is vulnerable. I mean, when you put it that way, they are not much more intelligent than the viruses spreading across the internet. And at least those are successful. We are here to challenge and stimulate the mind, not encourage the mindless.

But since I am arguing against an idea, I should at least offer one of my own. Pick a daily or weekly topic, then reward points to the member that writes (writes, not steals) the best article or tutorial on the subject. Extra points for an innovative view, custom exploit, or original research.

Master Stealth
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-07-05 07:40
Master Stealth wrote:
But since I am arguing against an idea, I should at least offer one of my own.

I should probably say how I feel, I am Against defacements; I feel it is not our right to destroy someone elses code, such as it would be to destroy someone elses child; I am however, willing to make it legally able to be done if that is what HBH chooses; I most likely will leave HBH if they do go that route, but I will make it legally ok.

-Deshouleres

P.S. I think controlled defacements (Spoofed sites showing what you would do) or using an exploit, putting your thoughts down, then informing the admin without harming any material seems someone ok, although it could lead to trouble.

Author

Mr_Cheese

Uber Elite
Posted on 06-07-05 18:50
ok, i get the idea... no defacements Smile

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-07-05 19:03
how long 'til the other challenges are up then i cant wait for themWink

Author

Mr_Cheese

Uber Elite
Posted on 06-07-05 20:37
over the weekend i'll code the system, so hopefully it should be set up by monday next week Smile

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 28-04-06 17:19
I have an idea for an "Other Challenge." How about you (the site admins) give each user a referral ID, and we refer people to HBH using this ID( a specific URL that uses our member ID perhaps?). For example if 15 people visited HBH following my referral ID which re-directed them to HBH I would recieve 15 points.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 28-04-06 17:47
I don't know if i have a cheating mind, but you could just change proxy and visit the url...

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 28-04-06 17:52
Which could be considered hacking...

Author

SySTeM

Your avatar

HBH Guru
Posted on 10-05-06 20:42
I have an idea for an other challenge........submit at least one article to hbh that helps people with the challenges, kind of like a reward for helping people

img138.imageshack.us/img138/6527/sig2ak1.jpg
www.hellboundhackers.org/sig/r/2783.png

http://www.elites0ft.com/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-05-06 21:43
I have thought of one. Sort of an enc but sort of an other. I have made a difficuly md5 hash, and was thinking it would be a good hash for people to code bruteforcers for etc
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >