Follow us on Twitter!
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. - Winston Churchill
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 11
Guests Online: 9
Members Online: 2

Registered Members: 82876
Newest Member: bhl1986
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Challenges | Other

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: Other 10 OMFG

Dunuin

Your avatar

Posted on 18-02-09 15:53
jjbutler88 wrote:
You dont even need a wordlist for this one, its easy for a reason. just save the hash in hash.txt and run:

./john hash.txt

Shouldn't take too long.

I'm bruteforceing for 14 hours now with 190.000 c/s and did not cracked the hash yet.
Is that normal?
Author

K3174N 420

Hacker Level 1
Warn Level: 69
Posted on 18-02-09 15:59
Dunuin wrote:
jjbutler88 wrote:
You dont even need a wordlist for this one, its easy for a reason. just save the hash in hash.txt and run:

./john hash.txt

Shouldn't take too long.

I'm bruteforceing for 14 hours now with 190.000 c/s and did not cracked the hash yet.
Is that normal?

Nope, your doing something wrong.

its a dead common word, nothing hard, almost guessable.

Thanks Yours31f!
img114.imageshack.us/img114/1497/keiran420cy2.jpg
Make poverty history... Cheaper drugs now! - Frank gallagher
[small][center]Einstein climbs to the top of Mt. Sinai to get close enough to talk to God.
Looking up, he asks the Lord...
"God, what does a million years mean to you?"
The Lord replies, "A minute."
"Einstein asks, "And what does a million pounds mean to you?"
The Lord replies, "A penny."
Einste
http://keiran420.ueuo.com/
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 18-02-09 16:03
Bruteforcing is very brute. Try running a dictionary attack first. Much, much more efficient that way.

If you need a good list get The Argon list.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

Dunuin

Your avatar

Posted on 18-02-09 16:23
Ok, thx.
I have aborted bruteforceing now and started a dictionary attack, which cracked the hash in under 1 second.
Author

4rm4g3dd0n

Active User
Posted on 18-02-09 23:25
I love resident evil milla is a hotty

a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285477_168984629836698_100001754862141_374762_5098511_n.jpg
All I Know Is That I Don't Know Nothing .... Operation Ivy

c:/users
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 18-02-09 23:31
4rm4g3dd0n wrote:
I love resident evil milla is a hotty

What does this have to do with anything?

And, what wordlist did you use for this one?

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

4rm4g3dd0n

Active User
Posted on 18-02-09 23:34
It actually has a lot to do with it if you have beaten it think of her sweet ass and the plot of the movie

a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285477_168984629836698_100001754862141_374762_5098511_n.jpg
All I Know Is That I Don't Know Nothing .... Operation Ivy

c:/users
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-05-09 04:11
Hey is it possible to use Cain and Able to crack the hash?
Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 05-05-09 06:47
john_the_man42 wrote:
Hey is it possible to use Cain and Able to crack the hash?

Unless you're talking about the biblical figures, then yes. Cain and Abel is used to crack hashes.

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

RE: this is good

TommyCat

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-10 04:49
ynori7 wrote:
Unless you're talking about the biblical figures, then yes. Cain and Abel is used to crack hashes.

Cain can't crack DES
for this one you should use JTR (John The Ripper)
I have tried bruteforcing it, but after 11 and a half hours, no success

guesses: 0 time: 0:11:29:20 (3) c/s: 195442 trying: tisCOKET - tisCOKe1

on P4 3.2 Ghz and 1G of ram

During this I also tried dictionary attack. I've used various wordlists, including TheArgon V1, TheArgon V2, jargon wordlists, language(including 31337 speaking, english, chinese, spanish, etc), technical_dictionary, unix-words, websters.. etc

But still, even if i had 2 instances of JTR running (bruteforcing and dictionary attack), no success. I took a nap leaving the bruteforcer to work.. when I woke up, still no success.

I also made a batch file to run jtr with all the wordlists in a specific folder (I have many wordlists Grin)

None of this worked.

The problem was that this word wasn't in any of those wordlists.
That's very strange because it's a very common word, especially for us Pfft

So, what you have to do is:

Just search for another wordlist. Now I'm not going to tell you which one to use because I would spoil everything. I'm just gonna tell ypu that this list is on a website, near a very comperhensive wordlist. While you're there you can also download the comperhensive one, because I believe that it is of great use, since
it contains many well-known lists, including the Argon wordlist, all the dictionaries in JibbaJabber, milw0rm list, and many many others.

So, now, the challenge is to find this list.
I don't know that if the one who created this challenge did know that the word can only be found there, but if he did, it's a great thing because this challenge made me discover this great wordlist.

In conclusion, this is the final JTR line for this password:

guesses: 1 time: 0:00:00:00 100% c/s: 17702 trying:

it took less than a second.

Oh, and a final piece of advise:

When you have to do an off-line password cracking.. that is you have the hash on your system and you're running the cracking on your machine, best is to run a bruteforcer from start, and leave it running. Only then try dictionary-attacks on the hash. This way, if your dictionary attacks don't work, you did'n waste any time because the bruteforcer was already running, and you don't have to start it now, when you already have spent some time with dictionary-attacks.

DO NOT do this unless the cracking software is runing on your machine (bruteforcing takes pretty large amount of system resources, so if you're using another system, the sysadmin might notice a strange increase in resource usage"
oh.. and for those who will say.. "but you can tell the cracking software not so use so many resources" : If it doesn't use as much resources as it can, it won't be effective at all. Woud you crack a pass with 100 c/s ? No you wouldn't.. well, not in a few months, years - depending on the password Smile

Thank you for reading this, and I hope it helps

oh.. and a little off-topic question.. can JTR only crack passwords up to 8 characters?

It's the final CountDowN
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 29-10-10 05:47
TommyCat wrote:
oh.. and a little off-topic question.. can JTR only crack passwords up to 8 characters?

No, there is no limit to the password length. However, for most machines the password entropy becomes too much for the machine to crack a password over 8 or 9 characters in a decent amount of time.

As for running the bruteforcer in the background, that makes no difference at all. The bruteforcer is then fighting for resources with the wordlist attacks, which evens out in the end anyways. Afaik, it should be identical time no matter whether or not you ran them parallel, unless JTR only uses a single core/thread.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .

Edited by stealth- on 29-10-10 05:48
http://www.stealth-x.com
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2