Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Challenges | Timed Challenges

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: New Time challenge

GTADarkDude

Posted on 11-10-08 20:42
Definitely the hardest time challenge and I like it. Although I haven't completed the sixth one, this one looked more interesting, so I started on this one Wink

First thought it was coded in EAN-13, which is more commonly used in my country and which is way harder to encode/decode. Now I know the correct format, so it shouldn't be too long before I get it.Wink

Edit: Completed! I've got the points! Lasted a little longer than I expected, turned out I misread how the validity should be submitted. I thought validity was boolean.:happy:

Edited by GTADarkDude on 13-10-08 16:22
- - -
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 11-10-08 20:54
c4p_sl0ck wrote:
My script executed in less than 0.06 seconds. With the time to get the image it took 0.16 and including the time it took to submit 1.66 seconds so I'm guessing that's not the problem. Or maybe I should get it, process it and submit it in less than a second. Shock On HBH!

I PMed you

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-10-08 06:40
Well, happy to have a program that decodes the barcode with the same results as I get manually on the program. But I am coming up with the numbers following the information in the link about barcodes and am posting before I get a ran out of time response so I'm wordering if I'm sending my data back in the correct format.

Here's how I'm sending the data:
barcode=111111111111&validity=valid

Anyone who has done this, especially in python, I'd be very happy to get a review of my script. I'm thinking it's mostly right but obviously there is something wrong. Please feel free to pm or write back to this post but I'd appreciate smart ass comments be accompanied with some sort of information so that it's not a waste of time and space on this forum... ugh hmmmm, note previous posts...
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-10-08 07:08
The barcode post variable must a an ascii number, not binary.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-10-08 07:18
Well I know it can't be in binary, that's not what I meant... it was just a format of 12 numbers, so to make that clearer (thanks for pointing out using 1 or 0 might suggest binary):

POST Data: barcode=123456789123&validity=valid

I had a loop to set my numbers and found I was only getting 11 numbers spat out but I noticed after changing that, that my answers took significantly longer to submit. They would then all say 'ran out of time' where when using a wrong answer on purpose, it'd submit much faster (from 2 seconds to under 1) and would state wrong answer... is there a reason that it does that? Can anyone else confirm this behavior?
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-10-08 07:40
zbert wrote:
They would then all say 'ran out of time' where when using a wrong answer on purpose, it'd submit much faster (from 2 seconds to under 1) and would state wrong answer... is there a reason that it does that? Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

Did you not take the time to think before you posted that,
or do you just lack logic?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-10-08 16:22
SwartMumba wrote:
zbert wrote:
They would then all say 'ran out of time' where when using a wrong answer on purpose, it'd submit much faster (from 2 seconds to under 1) and would state wrong answer... is there a reason that it does that? Can anyone else confirm this behavior?

Did you not take the time to think before you posted that,
or do you just lack logic?

zbert ORIGINALLY wrote:
I had a loop to set my numbers and found I was only getting 11 numbers spat out but I noticed after changing that, that my answers took significantly longer to submit. They would then all say 'ran out of time' where...

Wow SwartMumba, I respect your mission but your response was such a waste of forum space, especially when it is so badly out of context. Please at least answer the question while fluffing your ego!

Sorry to have a post that was confusing but the point of it was that when the format of the answer is correct, it takes significantly longer to submit the answer in my code. Like I said, when the answer was incorrect and only 11 numbers, it took less than a second for the code to run and now, when using 12 numbers, it takes more than a second. Yes, it's obvious the page will say ran out of time and that's not my question of why that is, but I was asking why does the page take longer to submit in the correct format? I'm seeing if others have experienced this as there are other posts in this thread with similar behavior.

Thanks,
zbert
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-10-08 17:59
zbert wrote:
Sorry to have a post that was confusing but the point of it was that when the format of the answer is correct, it takes significantly longer to submit the answer in my code.

Ok, now I understand what you are trying to say.
Send me your code and I'll take a look,
when I have time.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 13-10-08 01:28
Pulled my code off the self from a couple of months ago and did finally get it working after a few out of time messages (damn slow internet on my part). Thanks again for this challenge.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 13-10-08 04:15
Yeah, I figure I get to try this one in lieu of Timed 6 (as it is down). Thanks for a new challenge!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-03-09 22:34
Well, my code is running very well since I have tested it locally.
What I want to know from the people who solved this challenge is that when I grab the image from http://www.hellboundhackers.org/challenges/timed/timed7/barcode.php , should I grab it with my cookie session? Because I'm getting the following message:
You are not handling your cookies properly or you are trying a sneaky trick!

I know I'm not trying a sneaky trick, so what about cookies?

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 22-03-09 22:38
You have to use cookies, yeah.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-03-09 13:46
One thing you can do is to limit each member to a bit of attempts in a certain quantum of time... for example one attempt every 3 minutes, if you post a wrong answer you must wait 3 minutes... with this method is more convenient to write a script that solve the challenge at the first attempt...

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-03-09 14:02
yeah, is fairly easy to do.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-03-09 15:33
I don't think you should modify the challenge, it would be unfair for the ones who didn't solve it. I'm not talking because I didn't solve it, but that's how I see things. Why not make another challenge with the inspiration of this challenge, and where you limit the number of attempts...
One attempt each 3 minutes would be a hell to me, since my internet connection really sucks... But anyways, my Curl code is working very well in computing the code... What I'm facing now, is how to grab the image with Curl as BINARY, because like we said, I need my session included... so I'm using Curl.

Author

GTADarkDude

Posted on 23-03-09 16:50
That should not really be that hard. I'd advise you to look up curl_setopt() on PHP.net once more. You'll instantly notice an option you can set for binary transfers. You can use that one, although personally I stored the image in a local file, which method doesn't require this binary option.

- - -
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-03-09 19:00
Okay, problem solved.
I'm downloading the image with Curl, but now I'm running out of time...

Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 23-03-09 19:07
Cyph3rHell wrote:
One thing you can do is to limit each member to a bit of attempts in a certain quantum of time... for example one attempt every 3 minutes, if you post a wrong answer you must wait 3 minutes... with this method is more convenient to write a script that solve the challenge at the first attempt...

Depending on how you program your answer, it wouldn't make any difference. Timed 3 is programmed like that, but I wrote my script in python, and it restarts the session and makes new cookies each time I run it, so I never had to wait for the time limit.

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

elmiguel

God
Posted on 30-07-09 16:19
Does anyone know how to use urllib.urlretrieve() to download the image. I mean I can request the index.php fine and be logged in, but if I request the barcode.php page I just get:

Python 2.6.2
Code

|PNG

my code:
Code

import urllib, urllib2
from time import time
t=time()

headers = {HEADERS}
url='http://www.hellboundhackers.org/challenges/timed/timed7/index.php'

req = urllib2.Request(url, None, headers)
req.add_header('Referer', 'http://www.hellboundhackers.org/')
imgBC = urllib.urlretrieve('http://www.hellboundhackers.org/challenges/timed/timed7/', 'barcode.png')
response = urllib2.urlopen(req)
hbh = str(response.read())

print hbh
print time()-t

I have also tried to change the barcode.php to:

barcode.php.png
barcode.png

but the image becomes corrupted.

[EDIT]: Figured out how to download and save as a binary file.

The philosophy of one century is the common sense of the next. -Fortune Cookie

I would like to thank a few friends that I have made here that helped me and deserve to be mentioned:
System_Meltdown, Futility, nvrlivenvrdie, Mastergamer, TrueHacker, S1L3NTKn1GhT, Reelix, ynori7, Demons Halo, kryptor

www.hellboundhackers.org/sig/r/24963.png

www.hellboundhackers.org/sig/hbh2.png

Edited by elmiguel on 30-07-09 17:08
<script>alert('XSS');</script>
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2