Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Newsletter

Author

Newsletter Team Auditions

ynori7

God
Posted on 20-04-09 19:37
Hello HBH. If you like to write articles, and share your thoughts, here's your chance. Audition for a spot as a writer for the newsletter now! The auditions will be open until midnight (GMT -6) Saturday.

What I want to know for the preliminary screening:

1. How long have you been with HBH
2. IT related areas of skill/knowledge that you can write about. This may include: computers, security, math, science, and engineering; however, computer and security related topics are preferred
3. Why do you want to write
4. So I can get a small idea of your writing capabilities, please write a small text on one of these topics: favorite food, favorite place to visit, or favorite book. Just a paragraph will suffice.
5. Anything else you feel will help your application

If you pass the preliminary screening, I will contact you and ask for a demonstration of your writing ability as well as a demonstration of your knowledge of the areas you mention in your application. Note that expertise in any area of IT is not required, however a general knowledge of basics, as well as the ability to research and gather knowledge is.

Also note that, while grammatical correctness is preferred, content matters more to me, so do not feel that your English must be perfect.

Any off topic posts will receive warn!

With that said, I look forward to seeing your applications.

EDIT: Added colors and boldness to stress a few things that people seem to be overlooking. Answer all questions asked, and no off topic posts!

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg

Edited by ynori7 on 21-04-09 00:44
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

RE: Newsletter Team Auditions

Your avatar

Posted on 20-04-09 20:08
Date Joined - September 07 2008 - 06:10:45, but only recently active.

Skill set - Programming ( C++ & C#; I jump around languages a bit), JavaScript, XSS, Linux, and Social Engineering. I am also rather good at research, Google loves me.

Why I would like to write - I enjoy writing, and I would like the chance to contribute more to the HBH community.

Writing examples - This is the beginning of a book report I did for school.

Steal This Computer Book 4.0
By: Wallace Wang

Plot Summary:
The forth edition of this informative and entertaining non-fiction book takes readers into the dark underground of the Internet and shows us what real hackers do. If you thought hackers were just 40 year old Internet nerds living in there moms basement you better think again. Wallace Wang discusses topics covering every angle of hacking. From the Hacker Mentality, Social Engineering, and Lock Picking, to Exploiting File Sharing Networks, and Search Engines to obtain personal information.

Also a link to an article I wrote for HBH.
Selecting your first programming language

Edited by on 20-04-09 22:03
Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 20-04-09 21:06
Aiight! I guess it's my turn.

Date Joined:
March 26 2009 - 23:16:11 (I can't believe it has been 3 weeks already Shock)

Skills & Characteristic:
Mainly my logic and the ability to learn fast. I began learning python for about 2 weeks ago, which is actually my first programming language :$.
I've used Java a couple of times for constructing/building a couple of websites, same thing goes for PHP and MySQL/SQL by the way.

Why am I applying?
Well to be honest there is no specific reason. I've got help with every programing issue that I've had for the last 3 weeks from members in here, so I guess it is about time to give a little bit back, and maybe gaining some CP for motivation =D

My Writing Skills:
I'm actually not much of a writer. All I do is usually expressing the ideas that I get from different stuff I read, and find patterns between it and something else (for instance connecting 2 articles together). You can say that what interest me the most is predicting the future of x by reading about the stuff that are related to it.

Instead of writing about my favorite book, I though that maybe writing about TPB trial and it's effect on the Swedish society would be much more interesting. You'll receive my article soon =D

My favorite book is without doubt Dan Browns - Angels and Demons. I thought that I should go ahead and share that with you anyway Wink

Edited by Demons Halo on 20-04-09 21:08
base_dropper@hotmail.com www.demonshalo.com
Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 20-04-09 21:50
Demons Halo wrote:
Instead of writing about my favorite book, I though that maybe writing about TPB trial and it's effect on the Swedish society would be much more interesting. You'll receive my article soon =D

Very nice, but that's not what I asked for. Following directions is good.

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 20-04-09 22:17
ynori7 wrote:
Demons Halo wrote:

Very nice, but that's not what I asked for. Following directions is good.

I'm about to submit the article anyway, so I thought maybe you could read it (or a part of it) instead of judging by a little block of text Wink

Although if you want to, I can edit my post and write something short ^^

Edited by Demons Halo on 20-04-09 22:25
base_dropper@hotmail.com www.demonshalo.com
Author

RE: Yours31f's

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 21-04-09 17:30
ynori7 wrote:
1. How long have you been with HBH?

April 27, 2007 So, 2 years next week.

ynori7 wrote:
2. IT related areas of skill/knowledge that you can write about. This may include: computers, security, math, science, and engineering; however, computer and security related topics are preferred?

My preferred topic would be technology. Whats new, and whats good. For example, my article about quantum computers. The difference is, these new articles would be more in depth and educated.

ynori7 wrote:
3. Why do you want to write?

I enjoy writing about certain things. Lately I have began to notice the great void in technology being filled more and more daily.

ynori7 wrote:
4. So I can get a small idea of your writing capabilities, please write a small text on one of these topics: favorite food, favorite place to visit, or favorite book. Just a paragraph will suffice.

I happened to stop in the library one day before visiting my family for the week and wanted something to read, rather than sitting there bored out of my mind. I saw a book that said learn something in a week. My thoughts were, well this would be perfect. Great time frame and I get to learn something new. Sure, a one thousand page text over HTML was a rather odd choice for a fourteen year old to be walking out of a public library with but, it sounded like a good choice to me. The reason this is my favorite text is not because it taught me what i needed. Actually, it was fairly outdated and threw me off quite a bit when I tried to write HTML. The true reason "Learn HTML in 1 Week" is my favorite is the fact that it introduced me to my future. I now run a web development company that is becoming increasingly profitable and is now my full time job. So, for me, this book has really changed my life.

ynori7 wrote:
5. Anything else you feel will help your application.

I have written 2 articles for HBH. 1 for HTS a long long time ago. I have also written quite a few MLA form papers for my AP English 4 class in high school, and 6 for my college English class.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

Edited by yours31f on 21-04-09 17:40
yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-04-09 03:20
I'm in the middle of moving and I'm not sure what my new schedule will look like, so I can't fully commit. However, I would be more than happy to write and article or two.

1. Joined HBH Oct 2007
2. I'd like to write about either privacy or research methods. I haven't seen an intro article covering these on HBH.
3. Only to share information and save others time.
4. My favorite place to visit.

I've spent most of my life in the Seattle suburbs, but every now and then I get to visit Lopez Island. It brings a little balance to the go-go lifestyle. Inside these wondrous American suburbs, I have found that everything is prepackaged, over-priced, and the people have no sense of realty. Do you know what they do for fun here? They watch TV. Everyone has tied themselves up with the useless junk they've accumulated, and apparently the only logical conclusion was to build a 2,000 sq. ft. house for every family of 4. 100 km North-West of here is Lopez island: a place so neighborly that it's one of the few places left where anyone can safely hitch-hike. Many of the locals are at least partially self-sufficient, and a few are almost fully independent. There is no "local" one-stop-shop shopping center; they're all mom & pop shops. If you are not constantly entertained in a place this beautiful, it's your own damn fault. On Lopez I've met people who are active and happy to be alive, not only when another TV series comes out, but ever minute of their lives. Visiting Lopez is always refreshing.

5. My high school English teacher said that I wrote the best essays he'd seen in 10 years. That's my only real claim to fame. If I'm writing about something information based, I promise it will be much more concise.

Edited by on 24-04-09 20:23
Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 24-04-09 22:05
After some thought and little push from some members(and i should thanks for thatSmile) , I decided I would as well apply for the newsletter writer position. However I'd also like to stress that exam term is coming over and I can't guarantee how much time I will be able to invest into this project.

ynori7 wrote:
1. How long have you been with HBH

Joined November 25 2007, so almost year and half

2. IT related areas of skill/knowledge that you can write about. This may include: computers, security, math, science, and engineering; however, computer and security related topics are preferred

high level programming with aim at perl and php
web vulnerabilities and exploitation
remote exploitation via trojans and backdoors
don't mind doing stuff relating to ethics and law

3. Why do you want to write

I have always tried to contribute to our community, so basically I want to contribute and add some more quality content to something that has potential to be a great project, read not only by hbh members (always be positive)

First of all, I hate those topics, it's like going back to 8th grade, but let's get on with itSmile

I've never had favourite book, not really. I like some over others, but there's no book that would stand out above them all. Anyway I will be describing a book I recently finished, and surprisingly not computer related. It's one of the Obama's books, one of the very first, "Dreams of my father". Now I know most of you will go "Oh no, another Barack-lover", but I'd like to stress that it really isn't like that.
The major reason why I like this book so much is because firstly it was written by Barack Obama when he had no idea what so ever he'd eventually end up being one of the most influential figures of 21st century, and because it shows what person really is out first black USA president. It shows his frustration with society, his fight against racism and discrimination, and most of all it shows his utter devotion towards a change and improvement, which would ultimately become his own slogan.

The deadline is fairly soon, it's late and I think I sprained my ankle, so I didn't arse proof-reading, and only ran it through spell checker, so you have to deal with is as it is

5. Anything else you feel will help your application

Not really, I've worked before with some of the newsletter writers, so I will rely on their impression

[img][/img]img164.imageshack.us/img164/5713/perlvl0.jpg

clone4.freehostia.com/ubuntu_3.png
spyware - "They see me trollin'..."
<yaragn> ever seen that movie? The Matrix?
<yaragn> with those green lines of flying text?
<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

Edited by clone4 on 24-04-09 22:48
clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 26-04-09 06:02
Alright, the auditions are now closed. Thank you to everyone who submitted an application. The newsletter staff will be reviewing them, and a decision will be made within the next few days.

Also, just because I'm a nice guy, if you PM me your application before I go to bed (i.e. within the next couple of hours), I'll probably still accept it.

Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 28-04-09 23:15
Alright, the decision has been made. ShadyTyrant, maug, and clone4 have been added to the newsletter team. And once again, the release date for Newsletter#3 will be July 1, 2009.

Regardless of whether or not you were accepted, I thank those of you who posted in this thread for your efforts.