Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Author

New Rooting Challenges

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 00:44
I think that HBH needs new rooting challenges. Maybe where you have to "root" a computer through the guest account using simple exploits like. With Windows XP using the AT exploit.
Author

RE: New Rooting Challenges

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 00:46
If you wanna make one, I'm all for that, but the current rooting challenges basically only involve navigation on a remote machine and copying/deleting some file on there...which, as far as I'm concerned, isn't very good rooting...

So thanks for volunteering to make a more realistic rooting challenge. Smile

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 01:09
Not sure if I know exactly where I should start to program the challenge, but I guess I'll figure it out as I go. Hopefully I can get it to be better than the other rooting challenges. Also, this will be an awesome way for me to exercise my programming skills. The only thing is I'm not sure if Java or C++ have the right features for this. I think it will be better if programmed in VB, but I haven't even started learning that yet. But, if anyone has any ideas on how I can get directory transversal into my program using C++ or Java that would help me move along faster.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 01:27
dude, just make a fake one like the ones done so far. as simple as IF () THEN {}

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 01:31
You should start by writing down the logical flow of what you want to do: how you want it to start, what the steps should be, etc. Then, break down each step into a series of composite steps that mimic the desired logic of the program.

Then, once you've gotten it down good on pen and paper... start coding in your language of choice. Not really sure why you think it would be better done in VB than in C++ or Java... your language of choice is always the best place to start.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 05:59
yes, in c++ use IF THEN, but theres a slight problem, if you have lots of IF THEN in compiled app, it slowing down this app. thats why i leaved programming my own rooting challenge.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 08:19
Or, you could just put a box that is a basic install and let it be rooted. Seems kinda dangerous I guess, but, it really isn't if you do it right. If anyone is interested... let me know and Ill put one up after Spyware gets done with it. We could do some kind of tournament or something.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 08:38
i agree , there needs to be better rooting challenges.
U don't actually learn to hack the box itself but u learn to navigate.

And it would be real fun , finding flaws in the box and exploit them.
Hope u could make such a rooting challenge. succes! :happy:

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 21:55
I am just started the programming. All that I am having trouble with so far is the privileges. I have tried to make it so that if you login with Guest you have a privilege level of 0, but when I compile and run the program to make sure that it is working the way I want it to by making it alert the privilege level. So, I type Guest in and instead of it giving 0 as the privilege it defaults to 9. I even tried changing the privilege level to a char. Then instead of alerting the privileges it gave me an error message:

rooting.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Here is my code so far:

Code
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    char dir;
    char * privileges;
    char * user;
    char * password;
    cout << "Please Login:";
    cin >> user;
    if (user=="Guest")
    {
                      privileges="0";
    }
    cout << privileges;
}

Can someone point out what is wrong with this or is it just my OS messing up an not the program.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 22:11
I think I might be able to code one in python (python ftw!) but since it's for the community, I'd like some community members to explain what they want to see in the challenge. I could make another one like the ones already done, but what's the point? It's redundant and boring.

So, if you have any good ideas, post em here or PM me.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 22:23
hacker2k wrote:

Code
int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    char dir;
    char * privileges;
    char * user;
    char * password;
    cout << "Please Login:";
    cin >> user;
    if (user=="Guest")
    {
                      privileges="0";
    }
    cout << privileges;
}

dunno what language that is as i only know Java and Pascal, but i see the variable user defined as char and then given a string value. is that the error youre talking about or im just ranting here?

Skunkfoot: most people here seem to want a challenge that'll involve hacking into a machine, then getting admin/root privileges, then (or before getting admin rights) having to do some more exploits. the exploits should follow a logical 'story' or series of events as opposed to "ok now crack this hash here for no reason at all" it should involve as many parts working towards an ultimate goal as possible and you should be able to save your work. i just had the idea of making a linux-like one and a windows-like one. so it'll be actually two rooting challenges, each very different from the other. please consider.

Edited by on 15-11-07 22:27
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 22:33

Skunkfoot: most people here seem to want a challenge that'll involve hacking into a machine, then getting admin/root privileges, then (or before getting admin rights) having to do some more exploits. the exploits should follow a logical 'story' or series of events

good idea

as opposed to "ok now crack this hash here for no reason at all"

lol so true...

you should be able to save your work.

not sure I completely understand you here...

i just had the idea of making a linux-like one and a windows-like one. so it'll be actually two rooting challenges, each very different from the other. please consider.

another good idea, mainly because I'm a novice with *nix commands

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 22:36
what i meant is that since its likely to take more than a day to crack (hopefully) and its a long process, then you shouldnt have to do everything all over again each time. its kind of a sidenote.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 22:41
Thanks Folk Theory. That was the problem. I have no clue why I didn't see that before. I guess while I was working on it I didn't actually think of all of the different data types.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 22:50
I don't even know where to start with that Folk. Maybe you could put in checkpoints like in the shell in real15.

Code

if (checkpoint1 == true)
    start_from = part2

something like that. Think it'd work?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 22:58
hacker2k wrote:
I think that HBH needs new rooting challenges. Maybe where you have to "root" a computer through the guest account using simple exploits like. With Windows XP using the AT exploit.

That's not an "exploit".
And the challenge would suck, because that's something people have discussed here thousands of times, and is being disclosed right in this thread.

Think of something new and original, then we'll talk.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 23:11
@vytas: change your fucking sig as im getting annoyed with all these irc popups everytime i view the page

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 23:20
Skunkfoot wrote:
I don't even know where to start with that Folk. Maybe you could put in checkpoints like in the shell in real15.

Code

if (checkpoint1 == true)
    start_from = part2

something like that. Think it'd work?

maye just an integer that saves his 'level'. like when you begin its zero. when the first part is completed it changes to 1 and so on. then we can start based on his variable's value instead of doing a dozen nested if and else's. the problem is that this would take a lot of variability out since there will have to be only one thing to do at each point instead of many different paths. so it'll all depend on how flexible you wanna make it.

Edited by on 15-11-07 23:20
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-11-07 23:52
koolkeith12345 wrote:
@vytas: change your fucking sig as im getting annoyed with all these irc popups everytime i view the page

NoScript ftw! (I didn't get the popup. :happy: )

Folk Theory wrote:
what i meant is that since its likely to take more than a day to crack (hopefully) and its a long process, then you shouldnt have to do everything all over again each time. its kind of a sidenote.

I disagree. The easiest way to learn is through repetition. Make the challenges lengthy, and make those people retain the technique they learn in attacking those challenges... and they will be truly useful.

Edited by on 16-11-07 00:19
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 16-11-07 00:43
well that would solve the problem of reduced flexibility!
we can say its a feature lol.

Edited by on 16-11-07 01:42
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >