HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: Linux Wireless internet question

Your avatar

Posted on 28-08-09 01:36
spyware wrote:
S1L3NTKn1GhT wrote:
In case you didn't fucking know, Fedora IS linux. And diffrent distributions have diffrent drivers packaged with them on the linux "KERNEL". Linux is a KERNEL in key refferred to as an OS in general since it usually is packaged with a DE and shell interface. Moshbat was stating that HIS distro Fedora he uses has never had problems so possibly he might want to try that. Ubuntu and Fedora and EVERY distro of LINux package diffrently in some ways, if you don't know that then your the fucking noob and need to research a little further b4 making posts that make you look like a dumbass.

That's valid and all, but my main point was that whatever wifi driver is running on Moshbat's Fedora-driven laptop, it's also compilable on Ubuntu. Furthermore, especially in the case of something popular/much used, like wireless drivers, binaries for the most used distro's are distributed.

I see where your getting at anyway... and mosh, i assume its because of significant hardware compatabilities that cause drivers to not work on some. Really is the only explanation, that and possibly user stupidity.

Author

RE: Linux Wireless internet question

Your avatar

Posted on 26-11-09 04:53
I'm going to assume that this hasn't been solved yet.
OP - try the following and post snippets if possible:

lspci | grep -i "wireless" (if this returns nothing, simply do "lspci" and give us that)
lsusb | grep -i "wireless" (same drill)
iwconfig

My Ubuntu-Fu isn't that strong, but I tested this on an old VM and they should all work (assuming they are installed). Post the output and we'll work from there. Also, when I read through this thread, I didn't see any mention of what specific hardware you're on. If you could also provide that, it would be most useful.

~samurai

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2