Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 5 of 9 << < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > >>
Author

RE: Linux

Your avatar

Posted on 12-06-05 19:18
kool thanks. Would you recomend a linux distro that a noob would use?
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-06-05 19:43
Fedora Core 3 is user friendly, so is Suse.
Those two are the most common to start with.
It has decent hardware support and user friendlyness, fedora core 3 uses Gnome as a desktop enviroment where as Suse uses KDE for that.
It's a bit of a personal choice really, of course there are other distro's but those 2 are good to start with.

I use Fedora Core 3 and i can say i'm pretty pleased with it.
Quick install, gui nice, etc etc.

But you can't go wrong with other distro's, some are just a bit harder to start with.

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 13-06-05 16:58
I like RedHat. it is a pretty user friendly distro, but it is powerful. you can dl fedora for free off of redhat's site (http://www.redhat. . .) or you could get The RedHat Linux 9 Bible which comes with the OS. If you opt for the bible, be warned that it is older and RedHat no longer provides support for it. but i still use it and it is cool. Mandrake is alos good and so is SuSe. just look around and try to find a distro that suits your needs Wink

as for a choice of desktop, the 2 best ones are KDE and Gnome. KDE was designed to rival the Mac and Windows for user friendlyness, so it is good for newbies. However i prefer Gnome. Gnome is also very easy to use (i started on it). i would say go for Gnome! (but i'm biased towards Gnome, so go for whichever one suits your needs Wink )

also, regardless of whcih distro you choose, dont always stick to the GUI. expirencing Linux from bash (or your shell of choice) is a much more rewarding expirence!

gl

"Root is a state of mind" -- K0resh

Edited by n3w7yp3 on 13-06-05 16:59
Author

RE: kernal panic

Your avatar

Posted on 13-06-05 17:12
see i dont have an existing os to launch from and i dont have a hard drive to install to. i still want to know how i can fix the kernal panic.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 13-06-05 17:25
added new bit to my banner

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 13-06-05 17:29
okay well there are several things you can do in this situation. if you install Linux as your pirmary OS, you dont need another OS to launch from. as to the HD problem, try going into your BIOS, and setting your primary IDE device as your CD drive. boot off of a floppy and have it run the OS from the CD. not sure if this will work, but hey it is worth a shot (i kow for a fact you could boot into runlevel 3 like this....)

as too the kernal panic, what exactly does the error message say?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 14-06-05 01:26
If you change your boot to the cd it will run streight from the cd but i dont think it will fix your problem. that is unless you reinstall it from the cd.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 15-06-05 19:45
already booting from cd. still get kernal panic. going to go take it to a ntlug meeting and see what they can do about it. the only prob. is that they havnt posted their june meeting yet. anybody got any info on north texas LUG.

Author

RE: Linux on MAC?

Your avatar

Posted on 16-06-05 00:21
I have an iBook G4 running Tiger and I wanna see why everyone says linux is so good. I have virtual PC on my laptop running windows 98. Would I be able to install linux onto the emulation that I have for windows 98 or am I just being a dumbass? I have never found a mac installable version of linux. There isn't one is there? Does anyone else out there use mac?
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 16-06-05 08:27
pepe wrote:
I have an iBook G4 running Tiger and I wanna see why everyone says linux is so good. I have virtual PC on my laptop running windows 98. Would I be able to install linux onto the emulation that I have for windows 98 or am I just being a dumbass? I have never found a mac installable version of linux. There isn't one is there? Does anyone else out there use mac?

linux can be installed on a mac, theres a distro called yellow dog which is just for macs: http://www.yellow. . . . i think you can install linux using virtual linux, i've never done it but it does create a fake harddrive on the real one for the OS being emulated. I'm sure that SuSE and mandrake support ppc aswell. you just have to find the iso for it.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 16-06-05 08:41
Lots of distros support ppc now(from what i've seen anyway)http://www.distro. . .

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 16-06-05 12:40
Linux for every-one Smile
Yeah for a mac yellowdog is the most popular .

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 16-06-05 14:16
Ubuntu is being a bitch now :/ wont let me change my splash screen

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 16-06-05 14:21
dont go for some eumlation of Linux. just format Windows off of your HD and put Linux on it for real.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 24-06-05 17:03
If anyone is still hacking with windows they seriously need to make a change. it was once said that "hacking in windows is like dancing in a body cast". A good distro is suse 9.2 as it has now been updated with many more features including a dvd player.

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 24-06-05 18:35
well linux is good for more than just being a hacking OS. it's a fully featured OS, and *way* better then windows Wink

Author

RE: hey

Your avatar

Posted on 24-06-05 19:11
I might swap to Linux.

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 24-06-05 19:38
go ahead, you'll never regret it Smile

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 27-06-05 07:11
I use slackware 10.1.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-06-05 19:45
i fixed my problem. i took it to as linux user meeting i had set something wrong in my bios. i will make the switch when i can succesfully run itunes in linux fully featured (i.e. itunes music store) until then im still a windows slave. if you know how to either get free songs from itunes or how to run it in linux pm me.

Page 5 of 9 << < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > >>