Follow us on Twitter!
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself. - Galileo
Friday, April 18, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 23
Guests Online: 21
Members Online: 2

Registered Members: 82825
Newest Member: bulmers
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > >>
Author

RE: Linux

Your avatar

Posted on 07-06-05 10:55
what would you need all that for? lol

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-06-05 11:02
host my own website.. i dunno just for fun i'd fill it up in no time

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-06-05 20:33
slackware 10.1 i hated redhat
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-06-05 21:02
LOL 1 terra Grin
aahg the possibilities Smile
Well i just did some new things with linux and for the ones that don't know http://www.toms.n. . . andhttp://hysteria.s. . ..

2 small distro's , the first fits on floppy, the second alot of hacking tools (2 floppies).
It has possibilities Smile ( of course there is always http://www.knoppi. . . for the real l33t Smile )
+ if you didn't allready knew http://richard.jo. . .ystem.html

Well personally since i use fc3 i think red hat isn't that bad but i'm gonna install slackware in like 3 weeks so i'll see "what i missed all those years" Smile

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-06-05 21:03
pwnmstr wrote:
slackware 10.1 i hated redhat

Whats wrong with redhat? I've never used it but i though it was suppost to be really good?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-06-05 22:21
Why do you need 3CD's to install something? Suse comes on 1-2 just like Slackware and Ubuntu and all that jaz

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 08-06-05 17:03
whoppix http://www.whoppi. . . is a pretty good distro. it is a live CD that is meant for pen testers (all sorts of goodies Wink ). it is based off of knoppix.

some people don't like RedHat cause they feel that it is too much like Mircosoft. Also, RH is not one of the most secure distros. but i dont have a problem with it....

"Root is a state of mind" -- K0resh
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 08-06-05 17:51
That's just because red hat is more user friendly, for as much as i know about linux, fedora core 3 is a good distro to start with so in that case red hat is a good thing.

If you get better in linux, just switch to another distro. Gentoo for instance has some very good advantages but it's not really newbie friendly.
So red hat does what it has to quite nice.
Of course everyone is entitled to his own opinion so this is all just my own opinion.
Don't want to get a distro war starting lol Grin

WIN 3.1 POWNS THEM ALL Wink

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 08-06-05 22:32
My friend uses gentoo its pretty much a command line installer so not for newbies

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 09-06-05 19:29
for my laptop i googled for a boot disk found the boot.img and put it on a flopy stuck that in my floppy and it booted from the cd.

also what should i do about my kernal panic problem. the computer has no operating os. 521 of mem and currently a 4Gb hdd i got for free. it also says in idle task not syncing. plz help i hope there is something i can do

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 09-06-05 20:43
well about Linux, are you gonna install it as your OS or do you want to make a dual boot? the kernal panic is because the kernal cant boot for some reason. If you want to use Linux as your OS, just install it like you would anyother OS

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-06-05 23:03
Knoppix Pfft only just got it...

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 11-06-05 19:02
wolfmankurd wrote:
Knoppix Pfft only just got it...

knoppix rocks, are you installing it or just using it to see what linux is? I was just using it today to demonstrate how to get windows passwords to my uncle.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-06-05 01:35
To your uncle oO hmm educate him so he can do it Pfft knoppix isnt that bad as a live CD i've nver installe it so i dont know

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-06-05 05:43
Im currently useing a whoppix live cd version. I finally (after about a month) got it to work with my network card. now i just have to find out how to use the rest of it!!! LOL
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-06-05 09:57
Man you should really check out the demo's on whoppix.

IT's a great pentest distro, alot of db's etc like n3w7yp3 said.
I might download it once, but currently like everyone i use knoppix Grin

Edited by on 12-06-05 10:48
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-06-05 12:41
Thank anarcho-hippie i just got whopix its...cool, anyway erm i ahd it monted int my cd drvie for a while so both.....

I have NTFS so i cant do much Sad

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 12-06-05 17:41
yea liveCD's are cool. but they are nowhere near as good as when you have an actual Linux install on your HD. and not a dual boot either Wink

just take the plunge and switch to Linux cold turkey Wink

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-06-05 18:41
Well right now my windows 98 box is on the frits. For some reason it wont read the graphics card which is really weird because it read it before i formated it (Long story.) Anyways my Live Whoppix works fine with it. But i was wondering how to partition my Hard Drive so i could dual boot it with my whoppix. ( Only dual because its my dads computer and he wont approve) Anyone with some help?
Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 12-06-05 19:09
well dual boot with whoppix is going to actually be more difficult that using a normal linux distro. but it can be done.

the first thing to do is install Windows, but do *not* take up the whole HD (re-partitioning can be a pain in the ass). next copy the whoppix boot dir onto your HD (sorry i am not sure what this is called :-/ ). you will still have to boot from the CD but it should eject itself once booting is finished. You may also need to get a bootloader in order to do a dual boot using this method (the best boot loader is, in my opinion, GRUB ). Also, note that i never said that tese instructions are exactly correct, or that the system will be fst and/or stable. you're pretty much on your own if you pick this route Wink

like i said it is more trouble than it is worth. just get RedHat or a normal Linux distro and set up a dual boot using that. It will come with a boot loader and will be a much eaiser install (and will be more stable) Wink

gl

Edited by n3w7yp3 on 12-06-05 19:09
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > >>