Follow us on Twitter!
Few are those who can see with their own eyes and hear with their own hearts. - Albert Einstein
Thursday, April 17, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 18
Guests Online: 16
Members Online: 2

Registered Members: 82813
Newest Member: VesuviusSentinel
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > >>
Author

RE: Linux

Your avatar

Posted on 20-05-05 10:35
I use Ubuntu...version 5.04 for intel x86

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-05-05 10:15
yeah, im downloadin Ubuntu 5.04 now, but i cant find any free partitioning software!! its pissin me off, cos i cant buy any programs, i need to find a free one!

im downloadin PHLAK as well, cos it will fit on my shitty 600mb blank CD's Pfft

Where is that flash tutorial on how to install Knoppix? i watched it once and it helped, but i cant find it now!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-05-05 11:02
i cant remember the free partitioner. i think it was free partition. the flash tutorial for installl knoppixs in http://www.ironge. . .s/knoppix1

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-05-05 11:58
Hey All,

http://linux-ntfs. . .forge.net/ is the site detailing the kernel module that allows access to ntfs partitions. Currently it only allows read access but in its favour it seems very stable.

It is possible to enable read/write access on ntfs partitions with a little bit of effort. If you download the kernel source (makes sence to copy over your existing kernel build config so ya don't mess anything else up) when you are selecting options for kernel compilation "xconfig" in filesystems->ntfs-> there is an option to enable write support (does not support encrypted or compressed drives) but I would stress this is experimental code.

Remember its possible to view linux drives (ext2/ext3 but not unfortunatly RieserFS) with windows with programs such as Explore2fs http://uranus.it.. . .ore2fs.htm

Finally, to continue the discussion on Distros, I'm really fond of Fedora Core (having tried Mandrake, Xandros, Lycoris, Knoppix). Its a professional looking (thanks to bluecurve) and stable distrobution. It comes with carefully selected (key) software which means you don't end up with 3 programs doing the same thing (waste of space) leaving plenty of room to add what you prefer/need. With such a strong community, great support for rpm and tools such as synaptic this is easy. It could be argued that its lack of multimedia support is a weakness but thanks to http://freshrpms.. . . its so easy to add packages solving this.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-05-05 12:04
Well use several linuxes all together Smile
Just boot in knoppix and as you can see in the irongeek tutorial it has a build in partitioning program, you should be able to use that to create a new partition. Then install ubuntu.

I could be wrong here, cause it's all theoretical and i havn't tried it out yet but it should work Wink

post if you have any problems etc

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-05-05 12:30
Its fabulous to see Linux spreading but I'm not sure about all the fuss over Knoppix, I used it a while back and it was so slow till you installed it to harddrive (defeating the point of it as a "live" distro) at which point I found, probably due to its roots as a live distro, it was much harder to get prebuilt rpms that it was for the traditional RedHat/Fedora/Mandrake, etc.

Also, remember there are other live distros than Knoppix. Mandrake and SuSe have both released versions of their os that run form CD. (Mandrake Move & SuSe Live) These are aimed at giving you a taste before you try the full distro. Also about is Morphix which is based on Knoppix but is modular so ya get to "roll your own" distro which you can then use as a Live CD.

The windows like distros (Lycoris, Xandros) are great for family PCs when the rest don't wanna dump windows. (Lycoris, Xandros) but they are less flexible. SuSE & Fedora seem to be very popular (strong communities and software options)

Seriously folks, compilings great but ya only tend to see benefits when you have optimised core maths librarys, etc (think the librarys (not programs) taking care of zip file extraction/mp3 playback etc). its a shame then that these tend to come already built with your distro. Unless ya use Gentoo which compiles everything.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-05-05 13:30
yeah, i just need to partition it, i might try out that Knoppix thing, i have PHLAK and Ubuntu that i want to try out, but i cant partition my stupid hard drive.

fucking stupid trial versions dont let you commit your changes!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-05-05 19:39
Im currently on Windows XP because its my mom computer and so far i cant seem to get my 2Wire Home Portal back up and cant set up my Whoppix LiveCD. I like Whoppix Easy to use! Grin
Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 30-05-05 00:49
i currently have RedHat Linux 9 on one of my boxes and Gentoo 2004:2 on another

i cant stand windows. once you get used to linux, its impossible to go back Wink

"Root is a state of mind" -- K0resh
Author

Mr_Cheese

Uber Elite
Posted on 30-05-05 01:03
n3w7yp3 wrote:
i cant stand windows. once you get used to linux, its impossible to go back Wink

yeah, but its ashame that 99% of games are for windows. If i wasnt a heavy gamer i'd use linux without a doubt!!

http://www.hellboundhackers.org/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-05-05 04:56
Thats why when i go to college in july im dual booting with windows 98 and Whoppix. Good ole gamer here!! Wink
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-05-05 10:37
Well to all the heavy gamers, there is still hope Grin

just make your graphics card working and use a windows emulator,
there are alot of them available.

They make a virtual copy of your windows libraries, so they would support alot of games.
So if sb cares to try out i can give some good links, but i havn't got the chance to try it out yet.

But i will do once i get my other graphics card back.

+ linux is alot more stable and faster so that's much better for your games cause it uses less system resources so more resources for your games Wink

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-05-05 10:57
SHIT! im on my dad's computer which is on a Wireless Network, connected to my computer.
On my computer i have a dual partition, which is running Ubuntu 5.04 and Windows XP. Ubuntu has just been installed, but BootMagic did not install properly, and the stuipd rescue disks for Partition Magic do not work!! I can not configure my Wireless network, because i didnt check to see if it is for windows only Pfft so i cant get back into XP. :s. is pretty sad, i dont know why i am having all these stupid problems. When i try to run the driver installer it just says something like Can Not Open '/username/install.exe' or whatever. It is really pissin me off. If i have to i can just install XP Over ubuntu, then download Partition Magic again, and delete the partition to go back to my old windows, is this what i should do?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-05-05 11:02
Well i'm guessing you use 2 hdd
IN that case you should be able to just change wich hdd to boot from in your bios settings so restart the comp then redo the bios settings for the booting and you should be able to get back to winXP without any trouble.

Let me know if you have any trouble or if you can't do that i'll help you out further

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-05-05 13:03
its ok, thanks anyway guys, im back online! i just reinstalled XP Pfft but i didnt really need any of the shit on here, i have Dreamweaver and Flash and stuff all backed up, but i wonder what ill do about PaintShop Pro...

*cough*Ares*Cough*

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-05-05 18:01
Well if you want to install a linux distro make sure the bootloader is installed properly,
post wich distro you are going to use and someone will help you out so you can start exploring the wonderfull world of linux
lol Wink

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 31-05-05 10:02
yeah, i would have been fine if my stupid Wireless LAN worked, i wouldnt have had to put XP back on, Linux would have been fine for me, but it wouldnt work, so i just reinstalled XP

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 31-05-05 17:03
Well post every detail you can find on the hardware of your wireless lan and maybe somebody with the same problem that fixed it once could help you.

also www.google.com/linux/ is a good alternative for the searching
Wink

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 31-05-05 22:37
ok thanks, but im getting a new computer soon, ill get linux on that

Author

n3w7yp3

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 02-06-05 17:15
Linux is still having some support issues with WLANS. there are many cards that work however. a good site where you can check for compatibility is Prisim54.org (or just use good old google Wink )

and if you really want to play games on Linux that are ment for Windows you can just use WINE. i'm not a gamer at all so i don't have that particular problem Wink

"Root is a state of mind" -- K0resh
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 > >>