Posted on 29-06-05 19:49
this is the 100th post hjahahahahahah

Edited by on 26-10-05 19:16
Author

RE: LFS

Neo_Chalchus

Apprentice
Posted on 26-10-05 21:13
I have thought of starting LFs (linux from scratch) just as a fun little project, what do you guys think? I havn't REALLY used linux. Just a little knoppix. But I think it would be fun to work on it strait. Anyway, what do you guys think?

Thx
NC

P.S: can you specify commands in the terminal? is there a file where you can tell it that if you type "ask terminal" then it'll go and run something?

eviltonmoy.googlepages.com/neo_chalchus.png
Thank you EvilTonmoy for the AWESOME SIG!!!
http://hackref.net
Author

RE: Linux

Your avatar

Posted on 26-10-05 21:31
i dont have a clue how LFS works... i dont know were to begin. I dont think its very good for people new to linux. I think if your going to start linux go with slackware, its good if you want to learn linux.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-10-05 22:29
yes i am the third one to post since it was unlocked!

Author

RE: LiNuX

Your avatar

Posted on 26-10-05 22:49
i use suSe 9.3 in a few minnuts about to be 10.0 Smile yay
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 26-10-05 23:19
Yeah I'm downloading SuSE 10 (SRC DVD 4.4GB ) @ 841KB.... god I LOVE my new 8mb line Grin

Never actually used SuSE before, started with RedHat but got rid as soon as they went commercial (tsk tsk) then turned to Debian, always used FreeBSD on other machine, gonna be interesting to see how SuSE compares to RedHat/Debian Wink

Edited by on 26-10-05 23:20
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 27-10-05 09:14
i use gentoo 2005.1 stage 3. i recommend this for anyone looking for an easy to maintain distro.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 27-10-05 10:24
I installed gentoo 2005.1 stage 3 a few months back it was a nice distro although i had a lot of trouble setting up the network and the GRUB loader but it was a nice distro but Ubuntu is the only distro for me *strokes the hard drive* Pfft

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 27-10-05 11:51
i use fedora core 4 and have no idea why "linux is better than windows"

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-05 01:36
Slodave wrote:
I don't use Linux yet (except knoppix Wink ), but I am planning to install it. Any advice which distribution to start from first hand?

Try using ubuntu they ship it for free
check http://ubuntu.com to download for free
or https://shipit.ub. . . to get it shipped

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-05 18:49
I use Ubuntu Version 5.04

i really dont have a problem with it i get it on cd for free all dont pay shiping or for the cd so that cool and well its LINUX i just ordered the new version 5.10 friday and well yeah i cant wait to get my hands on that plus i dont have to pay $80 for it like most people have to unless they download it yeah...

ubuntu is an operationg system consisting entirely of free nad open source software. with ubuntu you can surf the web, read email, create documents, spreadsheets and more! Ubuntu gives you power and flexibility for business and education, at home or in the office.

ubuntu is easy to install, free of viruses, and perfect for laptops, desktops and servers. ubuntu is community developed, commercially supported, and offers free security updates. a new version is released every six months.

"ubuntu" is an ancient african word that means " humanity towards other". it embodies the spirit of open source software, which is built by the best software practitioners for the benefit of all humanity.

plus you are legally entitled and encouraged to copy, share and redistribute the cd for yourself and your friends. share the spirit of ubuntu!

if you want more information go to WWW.UBUNTU.COM

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-05 21:51
Ubuntu is not that great, stop obsessing.

Hurry up and get into the rootme challenge. Most of you claim to know some linux stuff, so see how you stand compared even a weak implementation of FreeBSD. Tons of classic 'stupid admin' mistakes and vulnerable software. Get on it.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-05 23:15
To reply to Neo_Chalchus,
It's long and difficult way to make a LFS.
If I remember, you have to start with your existant distro and a chrooted partition where you build a minimal system from the source.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 31-10-05 04:09
Theres ubuntu 5.10 ffs Pfft I use ubuntu (removed for something i said earlier that contradicted myself)

Edited by on 02-11-05 10:13
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-11-05 23:46
Well i use Fedora Core 4 dual booted with Windows Xp Home. Best of 2 worlds. I tried to install Mandrake but my laptop didnt like it Sad

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-11-05 21:39
suse
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-11-05 22:26
Dual Boot Mac OS X Tiger and Ubuntu 5.10 on my iBook Smile

Author

RE: Mepis 3.3.1-1

shade

Your avatar

Posted on 12-11-05 06:05
i tried Mepis 3.3.1-1 (ordered it by the internet). It is my favorite distro from all that i tested (mandrake, kubuntu 5.04SOHO, vectorlinux, and maybe,if wine will work on it, better than slax v5.0.6 Kill Bill Edition) but it cannot detect my Realtek RTL8139 card. F1(help) pls i m using windows xp again and i'm looosing control( +alt +delete) here.

My first personal rule on os'es:
"An os that can't use the internet and can't execute windows programs, is an X-os 4 me" Pfft

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/dpgraphics/Skiddies.png[/center]
<?php getenv ( 'REMOTE_ADDR' ); ?>
imtheshade
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-11-05 06:25
I just installed Fedora Core 4 this morning. I think it's better than Windows in performance, but the popularity of Linux programs makes them hard to find compared to Windows products. Also, my soundcard isn't being detected so I'm in silence until I figure that out.

Before FC4, I've only ever used livecds. I got tired of them, that's what motivated me to install FC.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-11-05 09:44
Lol I have the same prob Xero except with ubuntu I think it might just be mny sound card i'm gonna buy a new audigy soon anyway possibly tommorow but i like you choice in distro FC4 is a very nice one

Page 6 of 9 << < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >