Follow us on Twitter!
It is never to LATE to become what you never WERE.
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 25
Guests Online: 25
Members Online: 0

Registered Members: 82831
Newest Member: FL4SHC0D3R
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > >>
Author

Linux

Your avatar

Posted on 05-05-05 13:02
Who here uses linux?

i personally use SuSE 9.1 pro.

please post which distro you use. (knoppix included Grin)

Author

RE: Linux

Your avatar

Posted on 05-05-05 13:32
Fedora Core 3 Grin

Actually really interested in seeying how many use linux.

One quick tip for the non users, if you get the chance, switch to linux Smile
Just started using it and allready addicted Smile
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-05-05 16:26
lol, very true. linux is very very addictive!!! i've been using it since the olympics Grin

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-05-05 16:38
+ Linux doesn't spy on you at every move you make!
AND IT's OPEN SOURCE Grin -> simply the best
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-05-05 18:30
I don't use Linux yet (except knoppix Wink ), but I am planning to install it. Any advice which distribution to start from first hand?
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-05-05 18:36
i would say suse because of yast ((yet another system tool) - it install rpms and shit as well as sets up server things) but it doesn't have dvd play back (german laws!!!) so i would say mandrake or fedora 3 (it has a good community, i think?). anyway install it on a second hard disc - trust me you dont want to fuck around with partitioning!!!!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-05-05 19:08
Yes you do Grin
it's not that hard.
But you have to know what you are doing Smile
I would recommend Fedora Core 3, it has the rpm and good community.
You can find anything online but that goes for all distro's really.
The only thing that you are certain of is that you gotta switch to linux, believe me Smile
It's heaven Smile

But i don't have that much exp with other distro's.
But don't throw away your windows yet , dual boot with the bootloaders.
You still need them occasionally, like i do for vb.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-05-05 00:25
Read the TT1 *NIX: number three article! Basically, I'd suggest Mandriva or Debian to a newbie, despite personal preference. No one with half a brain can deny that Mandriva is easy, and handles automounting well. FC3 is ok, but Debian has a nice community and can handle RPMS as well with Alien <rpm> | dpkg.
Suse is ok, but I would suggest it for someone with a linux history.

I personally use Slackware, Debian, Solaris, and FreeBSD.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 20:45
*bringing new life in the linux thread Smile

I use gnome desktop fc 3 wich i would recommend to everybody Wink

The only difference is, i had to make partitions etc to install it cause i didn't have an extra disk and fc 3 doesn't have build in ntfs format compactibility.
So after you install it you have to make a few changes and get yourself a different kernel.
But all that shit was great.
Let's put it this way :
if windows goes bad => blue screen reboot, bad clusters, hdd busted, reinstall, new hardware
if linux goes bad => you open terminal , open the malfunctioning thing, fix it, and go back to what you where doing

MUCH more stable, MUCH more freedom MUCH more fun

Cheers and if anybody wants help with the ntfs format etc i can give you links and tips and help etc,

oww yeah and linux has a BIG community Grin

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 20:48
can you not view ntfs partitions? i know linux cant write to ntfs because m$ aint given out the IDE or something, but you should be able to read! try just mounting it or go to [uel]www.linuxquestions.org[/url]

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 20:51
yeah that's just it, stupid microsoft.
But like i said there is a big project for making linux compactible with ntfs partitions.
And yes i can view and read from them but in fc 3 you have to first get the right rpm for your system, install it, then it rewrites your kernel.
After that you have to alter your fstab file for the auto - mounting.
IN suse if i'm not mistaking it's build in (the reading, not sure about the automounting)

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 20:53
I use SUSE 9.1 as well. Not as my main OS, that's Windows, i've yet to learn how to play .wma files on linux without having to d/l anything, that's why i still use Windows as my main OS.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 20:56
yeah suse auto-mounts but it always buggers up grub so i have to fix the grub setting to boot windows, maybe its becasue i didn't do any partitioning and have each os on there own hdd. I love yast and i believe, if i'm not mistaken that it is being realised by novell.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 21:01
I mainly use Microsoft Windows 95 for its rock solid stability and multi-tasking.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 21:03
nights_shadow wrote:
I use SUSE 9.1 as well. Not as my main OS, that's Windows, i've yet to learn how to play .wma files on linux without having to d/l anything, that's why i still use Windows as my main OS.

ah that was a bitch but i found a really easy way to get it working by installing mplayer:

Code
1. Open Control Center
2. Open YaST Modules
3. Open Software
4. Open "Change Installation Source"
5. Add "HTTP"
6. As Server: "packman.iu-bremen.de" Without Quotes
7. As Directory: "suse/9.2" (If you are using 9.1 enter "suse/9.1") Without Quotes
8. Open Install and Remove Software
9. Search for Mplayer
10. Install

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 21:18
thanks SF, i'll try it when i get home, which should be in like an hour, class ends in eight minutes and i got a 45 minute bus-ride

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 22:24
Two things-
In your initial post you said "(even knoppix)," and I'd just like to clarify something about it. Knoppix is a Debian based distrobution, much like Ubuntu/Kubutu. It uses the same FS, Kernel, Apt, and RC scripts. The only difference is Knoppix has three system types, bare, debian, and multi-user on install, and that it automatically sets KDE to be the initial Window Manager. Yes, knoppix is also a Live-Linux distrobution, but it's not much different than Debian. It also includes a few minor security tools, but nothing that would make a newbie into a 'l33t hax0r,' they're just tools that only experts would get use out of.

Also, MPlayer alone will not make windows media files work. The base installation, at least the .deb package, does not include Windows codec. Just go to the Mplayer site and grab the package of extra codecs, and you'll be set.

At the moment, I'm reinstalling Solaris on my 40gb, running FreeBSD as a gateway on a 20gb, Slackware for my Wireless accesspoint/router, and Kubuntu on my main 200gb hd. At the moment I'm only using Kubuntu for its inclusion of KDE 3.4, something Debian's Woody/Sarge do/will not include right off. I personally dislike Kubuntu over Debian, but I have no real choice when I want a debian-base system.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 22:27
scankyfrank wrote:
can you not view ntfs partitions? i know linux cant write to ntfs because m$ aint given out the IDE or something, but you should be able to read! try just mounting it or go to [uel]www.linuxquestions.org[/url]

That's not true. Its a seperate kernel module you have to install, (for writing to NTFS,) still in alpha testing. Plus, I think he meant FC3 will not install onto an NTFS partition.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-05-05 22:39
thousandtoone wrote:

Also, MPlayer alone will not make windows media files work. The base installation, at least the .deb package, does not include Windows codec. Just go to the Mplayer site and grab the package of extra codecs, and you'll be set.

yeah, thats why i did it through yast, it installs all the codecs and stuff which mplayer needs.

thousandtoone wrote:
That's not true. Its a seperate kernel module you have to install, (for writing to NTFS,) still in alpha testing. Plus, I think he meant FC3 will not install onto an NTFS partition.

cool, i didn't know that... i will definately install it when it's released!!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 20-05-05 04:29
It *IS* released. I don't remember the package name, but at it's available.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 > >>