Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82885
Newest Member: ConiBE
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Webmasters Lounge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author

Is it just me, or am I incredibly bad at designing websites?

Your avatar

Posted on 01-07-09 19:50
I SUCK AT DESIGNING WEBSITES

There, I said it.

I'm terrible at designing websites and I always have been. I have close to no creativity when it comes to art and web design. I'm terrible at art and that hasn't changed for years. All my website designs are based on solid colors with no images or creative layouts.

Does this ever happen to you? Are you bad at designing websites or have problems thinking of a good design and color scheme?

Ugh, sometimes it takes me days to come up with a crappy design... Sad
Author

RE: Is it just me, or am I incredibly bad at designing websites?

Futility

God
Posted on 01-07-09 20:04
Don't beat yourself up. Sounds to me like you're trying to make things too complicated. Sometimes the simplest of designs are the most effective. Wink

i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/zanimabean/Zim.png
Futility91@hotmail.com Futility91
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 01-07-09 20:06
Moshbat, this is a declaration of LOVE to your sarcasm here and everywere!
It better than any webcomic or comic or anything i've ever read. :love:
I laugh my ass of! Grin

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 01-07-09 20:37
MoshBat wrote:
Why on earth did you make a post like that?
Purpose?
Yeah, yeah, everything is going wronmg for you.
How sad.
How awful.
Doesn't it just make everyone else feel so sorry for you?
Awwh. My heart goes out to you.
No, seriously.
[/sarcasm]

YESSSSSS!!!! PfftPfftPfftShockShockShockSadSadSadFrownFrownFrownWinkWinkSmileSmileSmileSmile

FINALLY SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS ME!!!!111one!!!1111!11!

i love you moshbat!!!!
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 01-07-09 21:58
Ntvu wrote:

There, I said it.

I'm terrible at designing websites and I always have been. I have close to no creativity when it comes to art and web design. I'm terrible at art and that hasn't changed for years. All my website designs are based on solid colors with no images or creative layouts.

Does this ever happen to you? Are you bad at designing websites or have problems thinking of a good design and color scheme?

Dont worry, I'm just as bad. I just download layouts from free layout sites and code them from there. Sure, they aren't the greatest, but I can change them to however I want, so it works great.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 01-07-09 22:10
MoshBat wrote:
stealth- wrote:
Ntvu wrote:

There, I said it.

Dont worry, I'm just as bad. I just download layouts from free layout sites and code them from there. Sure, they aren't the greatest, but I can change them to however I want, so it works great.

Layouts take around five minutes.
Now, the images and colours take longer...

I suck at both Sad Sadly, it appears I have no creativity when it comes to art of any sort. I did do an okay pacman vector graphic once, though. Wink Later on I might take some gimp tutorials, cause I would certainly enjoy being able to design my own website, rather than borrowing someone elses ideas.

EDIT: I also made a picture of santa once. I was bored and had no internet, and my laptop had no games Sad

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.

Edited by stealth- on 01-07-09 22:12
Author

ranma

Active User
Posted on 01-07-09 22:34
Website designs aren't difficult.
There's always the classic with a banner up top, a navbar on the left, and content on the right. Seriously, just stop and think.

Wisdom spared is wisdom squared.
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 01-07-09 23:06
MoshBat wrote:
ranma wrote:
Website designs aren't difficult.
There's always the classic with a banner up top, a navbar on the left, and content on the right. Seriously, just stop and think.

Something like:
http://82.3.173.54/
Will do fine, no?
Simple, "flexible" and pink. Perfect.
(It has about 3/4 different colours so far XD)

cool. haha, i like the page that says "These are some FUCKING LINKS!"

I have my design at www.stealth-x.com, but I think the content section is too thin, because it looks wierd when writing large articles. If you go there, dont use the comment system, its bugged and redirects all comments on any page to one page. Also, none of the articles are finished and the code is out of date. I have a nice box of changes on my local system I need to upload, still.

Edited by stealth- on 01-07-09 23:11
Author

ranma

Active User
Posted on 01-07-09 23:15
Despite Moshbat's funnivity (new word), he's right. That design can do the job if that's what you need. All depends on your need. Who will see it. What will it be used for? etc...

Wisdom spared is wisdom squared.
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 01-07-09 23:20
MoshBat wrote:
Right hand bar is not necessarey, and makes it look a bit odd, and that is probably your problem.
Shove your affiliates along the bottom, if they need to be on every page.
Otherwise, simple, elegant. Very nice. Smile

thanks Smile
Wow, I looked at my comment page and there was about 30 comments from people trying to pentest my site, they looked to be hbh users. maybe I should delete that link :/

However, it looked like none of the tests worked Smile

EDIT: I took down my comment system, just till i program some sort of protection into it, also to stop spammers

Edited by stealth- on 01-07-09 23:21
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-07-09 15:38
Futility wrote:
Don't beat yourself up. Sounds to me like you're trying to make things too complicated. Sometimes the simplest of designs are the most effective. Wink

Yes you right, I'm not very good in design too. I have done this website with FlexBuilder 3 : www.cdps.univ-mon. . . (french law university of Montpellier). I used "canvas" & a lot of code (cube if you like) to build that site.

See other websites to inspire you (ex : https://www.photo. . .)

Design is not very hard to do Wink

Good Luck
Author

SySTeM

Your avatar

HBH Guru
Posted on 02-07-09 17:19
X35C911 wrote:
Futility wrote:

Yes you right, I'm not very good in design too. I have done this website with FlexBuilder 3 : www.cdps.univ-mon. . . (french law university of Montpellier). I used "canvas" & a lot of code (cube if you like) to build that site.

Good Luck

Flex is a bad idea for web design, as people with NoScript or text based browsers can't see a thing. It's also bad for search engine optimization as spiders can't index anything, as everything's in an SWF.

img138.imageshack.us/img138/6527/sig2ak1.jpg
www.hellboundhackers.org/sig/r/2783.png

http://www.elites0ft.com/
Author

p4plus2

Your avatar

Posted on 02-07-09 17:55
system_meltdown wrote:
X35C911 wrote:
Futility wrote:

Good Luck

Flex is a bad idea for web design, as people with NoScript or text based browsers can't see a thing. It's also bad for search engine optimization as spiders can't index anything, as everything's in an SWF.

Actually that is not entirely accurate. Google can index many SWF version, while its not going to be the as great of a run down as with a text based website it will be indexed. Yahoo also has a form of SWF indexing.
Also, you can always place content behind your SWF, that way if the SWF for any reason doesn't load you still have some content.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/07/google-yahoo-spiders-can-now-crawl-through-flash-sites.ars The link may be a year old but this one was much more in depth than most recent articles.

"You can't be something your not,
Be yourself by yourself
Stay away from me" ~Walk, Pantera

"Playing an acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on" ~Dave Mustaine
p4plus2@hotmail.com
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 02-07-09 17:57
p4plus2 wrote:
Actually that is not entirely accurate. Google can index many SWF version, while its not going to be the as great of a run down as with a text based website it will be indexed. Yahoo also has a form of SWF indexing.
Also, you can always place content behind your SWF, that way if the SWF for any reason doesn't load you still have some content.

http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2008/07/google-yahoo-spiders-can-now-crawl-through-flash-sites.ars The link may be a year old but this one was much more in depth than most recent articles.

I for one, surf with NoScript turned on. Btw, everyone who doesn't, does NOT understand the Internet.

Have fun with your crappy swf (CPU-FUCKING-CYCLES)/js-only sites.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-07-09 18:44
Thanks for the link

Yes I know, there is some problems with Google. But when you compile your website with Flew Builder 3 (http://www.adobe.. . .moid=BPDEQ), an index file is created. Then you can edit the source and enter meta key. Grin

Edited by on 02-07-09 18:46
Author

p4plus2

Your avatar

Posted on 02-07-09 18:47
spyware wrote:

I for one, surf with NoScript turned on. Btw, everyone who doesn't, does NOT understand the Internet.

Have fun with your crappy swf (CPU-FUCKING-CYCLES)/js-only sites.

I never said they were better, just pointed out google can index them. SWF have a time and place, JS has a time and place, and HTML has its time and place. As a webdeveloper your job is to think about what audience you are trying to reach. If you wish to reach gamers, a more interactive flash based site may be more beneficial to you. A blog on the other hand would best be written in simple HTML with CSS.

I figured that you would have the common sense to understand flash based sites would not be optimal in most situations, but you proved me wrong on that one. Next time I'll open my front door and shout it out to the whole fucking world. Would that help?

Be yourself by yourself

"Playing an acoustic guitar is like having sex with your clothes on" ~Dave Mustaine
p4plus2@hotmail.com
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 02-07-09 19:24
p4plus2 wrote:
I never said they were better, just pointed out google can index them. SWF have a time and place, JS has a time and place, and HTML has its time and place. As a webdeveloper your job is to think about what audience you are trying to reach. If you wish to reach gamers, a more interactive flash based site may be more beneficial to you. A blog on the other hand would best be written in simple HTML with CSS.

I figured that you would have the common sense to understand flash based sites would not be optimal in most situations, but you proved me wrong on that one. Next time I'll open my front door and shout it out to the whole fucking world. Would that help?

Maintaining a flash-driven website or something? Sheesh. When I was "shouting", I was being angry at FLASH. And flash developers. Yeah, flash has a time and a place. Games. That's the only thing it should do. Should these be streamed from a browser? Probably not. Maybe in a separate thread, then it should be okay.

Websites should be coded purely in valid HTML and CSS standards. Should we go out of our way to support IE6.0? NO. Should we exclude people who don't run Javascript? NO. Should we exclude people who don't/can't run flash? NO.

Why do gamers need flash websites? You can make BEAUTIFUL websites without flash, using only HTML and CSS. Personal opinion? Maybe. Should we make flash-driven websites? No, fuck no. Compliance with worldwide standards improves security, user-experience and will create a better structured, more solid World Wide Web.

[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-07-09 19:47
Why do gamers need flash websites? You can make BEAUTIFUL websites without flash, using only HTML and CSS. Personal opinion? Maybe. Should we make flash-driven websites? No, fuck no. Compliance with worldwide standards improves security, user-experience and will create a better structured, more solid World Wide Web.

HTML site are very easy to hack (cf basic web hacking) andy kids could crash your website. Hacking Flash site require some AS3 skills.

I'm agree with you, some HTML site are very beautiful but if you want to add some flash movie & some RIA...then....it's sooooo long to download it. A Flash site is totaly downloaded, not a HTML site.
You can build some AIR application with flash code. It's impossible to do it with HTML. Wink
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 02-07-09 19:50
X35C911 wrote:
HTML site are very easy to hack (cf basic web hacking) andy kids could crash your website. Hacking Flash site require some AS3 skills.

I'm agree with you, some HTML site are very beautiful but if you want to add some flash movie & some RIA...then....it's sooooo long to download it. A Flash site is totaly downloaded, not a HTML site.
You can build some AIR application with flash code. It's impossible to do it with HTML. Wink

AIR? Fuck AIR! Fuck Adobe! Yeah, that's right, fuck 'em! Also, how do you mean "crash" a website? HTML and CSS are just plaintext things rendered by a browser. (Javascript too, but Javascript is just one big, big security hole). You can use whatever fucking language you want to generate the plaintext. PHP, Perl, Python, whatever. Just don't put more (closed-source) SHIT in my browser.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
Author

p4plus2

Your avatar

Posted on 02-07-09 19:51
spyware wrote:
Maintaining a flash-driven website or something? Sheesh. When I was "shouting", I was being angry at FLASH. And flash developers. Yeah, flash has a time and a place. Games. That's the only thing it should do. Should these be streamed from a browser? Probably not. Maybe in a separate thread, then it should be okay.

Websites should be coded purely in valid HTML and CSS standards. Should we go out of our way to support IE6.0? NO. Should we exclude people who don't run Javascript? NO. Should we exclude people who don't/can't run flash? NO.

This is something I can agree with. We can get more ontopic now.

Some sites to help with web design:
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/05/strategic-design-6-steps-for-building-successful-websites/
http://www.secretsites.com (slightly outdated, 2004)
http://cssmania.com/

Be yourself by yourself

p4plus2@hotmail.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >