Follow us on Twitter!
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself. - Galileo
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 34
Guests Online: 30
Members Online: 4

Registered Members: 82839
Newest Member: fezphantom
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Hacking in general

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: Identical MAC addresses on the same network

Your avatar

Posted on 16-07-10 17:34
If you have free time and 3 wifi capable devices, you could test it. Unfortunately I don't have a wifi enabled phone otherwise I would have tested it.
Author

AldarHawk

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 16-07-10 18:30
what's free time?

Just ask Yahoo!Taboo! http://www.erikwestlake.com
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 16-07-10 20:28
gregorian wrote:
If you have free time and 3 wifi capable devices, you could test it. Unfortunately I don't have a wifi enabled phone otherwise I would have tested it.

Why would you need 3? Wouldn't two not work just as well? (Unless you are counting the routing device in there)
The link you gave brings up a actually very interesting point, and logically, it makes sense that it would work with ethernet, so now I'm interested to see what would happen on Wifi devices.

I do have 2 wifi cards, however I don't have two machines around at the moment as I'm out of town. I could try this in a couple of days, though.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .

Edited by stealth- on 16-07-10 20:28
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 16-07-10 20:34
stealth- wrote:
gregorian wrote:

Why would you need 3? Wouldn't two not work just as well? (Unless you are counting the routing device in there)
The link you gave brings up a actually very interesting point, and logically, it makes sense that it would work with ethernet, so now I'm interested to see what would happen on Wifi devices.

I do have 2 wifi cards, however I don't have two machines around at the moment as I'm out of town. I could try this in a couple of days, though.

Well, I want to know what the router does. I was thinking of setting up one computer in Infrastructure mode and looking at its routing table. The second point you mentioned is what I'm curious about too. Do you understand if it will work if both macs are on the same subnet? I'm curious to know what will happen. Will the second ARP replace the first one? Will both be there in the table and reject each other's connections?
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 16-07-10 20:46
gregorian wrote:
stealth- wrote:
gregorian wrote:

Well, I want to know what the router does. I was thinking of setting up one computer in Infrastructure mode and looking at its routing table. The second point you mentioned is what I'm curious about too. Do you understand if it will work if both macs are on the same subnet? I'm curious to know what will happen. Will the second ARP replace the first one? Will both be there in the table and reject each other's connections?

Well, what I got from the posted link was that the sender was convinced that, on a linux machine for instance, the arp table is stored with each interface also listed in the entry. Since every ethernet port on the router should technically be a separate interface, there should be no problems with the router.
So, the arp table for a router with 4 ports might look like this:

(eth0, 192.168.1.2, 11:22:33:44:55:66)
(eth1, 192.168.1.3, 22:33:44:55:66:77)
(eth2, 192.168.1.4, 33:44:55:66:77:88)
(eth3, 192.168.1.5, 11:22:33:44:55:66)

The idea presented is that there should be no problems because the router includes the interface in the arp entry so the entries would be different and the router can tell the difference between them. Because, say somebody asks to send a packet to 192.168.1.2, the router sees the equivalent MAC address, but it also sees the interface so it sends it along that interface and there is never a collision with the IP on eth3 because nothing ever goes along eth3, because it doesn't have to.

If you're talking about a situation where the IP's are the same, then that would cause an issue, though.

What's interesting is how this would be handled on a wireless device where there is only one interface.
Unfortunately, I don't think I have 3 wireless devices around. I might, but I'd have to do some looking.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-07-10 04:05
If you're talking about a situation where the IP's are the same, then that would cause an issue, though.

What I'm interested in knowing is if the DHCP would give you a new IP for an existing MAC. Is the DHCP MAC aware of does it simply pick one from the free pool?
What's interesting is how this would be handled on a wireless device where there is only one interface.

That's true.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2