Follow us on Twitter!
It is never to LATE to become what you never WERE.
Monday, April 21, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 27
Guests Online: 25
Members Online: 2

Registered Members: 82852
Newest Member: sockpuppets
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Author

I'm curious about OpenSolaris.

Your avatar

Posted on 10-06-10 00:28
Does anyone here use OpenSolaris, or have you? It seems like it's a very quality operating system, but I haven't had any experience with it. I'd like to get a personal opinion.

Edited by on 10-06-10 00:28
Author

RE: I'm curious about OpenSolaris.

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 10-06-10 01:28
There's a liveCD..... why not see for yourself?
If you do, be sure to come back and post you're thoughts. Iirc, it's pretty similar to any linux distro (I might be blatantly wrong there, though)

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-06-10 01:39
Solaris is an SUS standard UNIX. I've read that OpenSolaris is based off the code, and they basically use the Solaris code to make it. So it must be very UNIX. I don't know about available software and hardware compatibility, but I can't imagine it's not a real quality OS.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 12-06-10 03:53
BuddyCianci wrote:
Solaris is an SUS standard UNIX. I've read that OpenSolaris is based off the code, and they basically use the Solaris code to make it. So it must be very UNIX. I don't know about available software and hardware compatibility, but I can't imagine it's not a real quality OS.

You might want to get a cheat sheet of helpful Solaris commands handy before you try the live CD. I'm unsure what version they're on now, but Solaris 9 was infuriating for me because some of the scripts to activate network interfaces didn't use identical commands to what I expected.

Beyond that, looks nice and everything. Wish I had more time to play around with it. The few jobs I see available on sites for Sol. operators seem to stay up longer, so if you're interested in doing it as a career (in the future) I do think there is a significant shortfall in the number of capable administrators.