suid

Posted on 04-10-12 18:42
Mtutnid wrote:
tuXthEhxR wrote:
Mtutnid wrote:
[quote]Omnes wrote:try some real meditation and then lets talk about free will
wher brain is not the name of the game

That said, I have no idea what you mean by:
\\\\\\\"But the poster is clearly stating that the \\\\\\\"mind\\\\\\\" isn\\\\\\\'t located in the brain.\\\\\\\"
Am I missing something?..

It might be that I am misunderstanding it, but I think he is trying to say he detaches his mind from his body. BTW I don\\\'t talk about these things often, we both have theories that haven\\\'t been proven. I can assure you I am no hippie and don\\\'t fail to enjoy life by rambling all day long. The end is near.

I think you are right in what Omnes was implying. Like I said earlier, I think the way to understand this is not to represent the mind as completely independent from the body, although it hasn\'t been proven either way. I visualize it as the brain giving birth to the mind. During infancy we are all pretty mindless, and as we mature, our minds become more robust. The brain is the control center as part of the body for the body and consciousness is mostly used as a model to interpret reality. Declarative memory in our neocortex gives us conscious experiences with which to predict the consequences of our decisions. By \"detaching\" the mind from the body, I assume that means you purposely cut off all input from the brain stem and cortical nerve. You are left with only your imagination and creativity to rearrange your thoughts, focusing all your attention and mental faculties on whatever you choose.

Free will is of course a true belief. We have the power to make choices on moral issues. These will usually be based on our upbringing and what we have been taught, but we are always able to decide for ourselves when given a choice. We hold each other accountable for decisions because free will exists. Even if we are PERFECTLY taught principles of morality and fully understand them to be true values, we can still decide not to follow those principles. No one can force that upon you. I think, do deny the endowment of free will is to deny what it means to be human.

"What could be more mystical than an imaginary number interacting with real numbers to produce nothing?"
Author

RE: hello humans & others

Mtutnid

Your avatar

Posted on 05-10-12 09:22
By \\\"detaching\\\" the mind from the body, I assume that means you purposely cut off all input from the brain stem and cortical nerve. You are left with only your imagination and creativity to rearrange your thoughts, focusing all your attention and mental faculties on whatever you choose.

This is the reason why I think that the brain and the body control our actions. With no free will there. There have been experiments where a person is cut off from their senses for a time. Vision, hearing, touch, temperature and even balance. Afterwards they reported being unable to think in any manner. No memories were evoked nothing could be done. That may not be entirely true, but most of our thinking is based on input. If you have caught yourself with a spontaneous thought or something done you will find that something around you triggered it. One cool thing in parties is people repeating each others jokes right after each other even though they didn\'t notice that they heard the other person say it and afterwards claiming that it just popped into their mind. Also if you have forgotten something and suddenly remember it, it is also very often triggered by objects, words or even a motion you are doing.

Free will is of course a true belief. We have the power to make choices on moral issues.
You can learn morals and some of them are inborn and the reason we have these moral feelings is that they have been tested through natural selection. Basically the things like don\'t kill, don\'t steal etc. work in a society. (Morals = what works best/close to best in a society over time)
These will usually be based on our upbringing and what we have been taught, but we are always able to decide for ourselves when given a choice.
Almost true. If you have been taught to hate black people you will have to learn to not do it. Egz. there is a Norwegian doctor that comes from Pakistan in his upbringing he was taught to hate Christians and the western society. And even after years in Norway he still felt those hostile feelings, even though he knew they were wrong (he didn\'t understand that himself, he was taught and it was shown to him that this society works). And how can we decide for ourselves truly if we have been brought up to choose to hate?
We hold each other accountable for decisions because free will exists.
I don\'t see it that way. I see it merely as if someone has done something wrong he isn\'t safe to be around him. If he is unfitting for this society you don\'t want him to have children that are brought up like him. It is merely an evolutionary convenience to hold each other accountable for something. Same for something doing something good. Make more of people like him.

Even if we are PERFECTLY taught principles of morality and fully understand them to be true values, we can still decide not to follow those principles. No one can force that upon you. I think, do deny the endowment of free will is to deny what it means to be human.

I\'m no human then. Yeah we can choose to not follow them, but who does that?
This reminds me of a classmate who said that we live in an unsafe world because at any moment anyone can choose to plant a brick in your face. It\'s highly unlikely and the deviations from that are usually caused by physical disorders (increased testosterone, adrenalin). All psychological illnesses are caused by physical reactions in the body.

Please, do give me a description of what person i seem to be. (not sarcasm) Seriously. I would like to know if i seem like a crackpot hippie, a cynical old dying scientist or just a young twat.

Carve me up, slice me apart
Suck my guts and lick my heart
Chop me up, I like to be hurt
Drink my marrow and blood for dessert

My one desire, my only wish is to be-
EATEN...
Author

tnk04

Your avatar

Posted on 23-10-12 00:59
Jesus, these things *still* descend into a shit throwing contest?
Author

Mtutnid

Your avatar

Posted on 06-11-12 20:41
tnk04 wrote:
Jesus, these things *still* descend into a shit throwing contest?

Ofc. What'd ya think? That we have turned into a MLP watching, tree-hugging, vegetarian, pious retards?

Carve me up, slice me apart
Suck my guts and lick my heart
Chop me up, I like to be hurt
Drink my marrow and blood for dessert

My one desire, my only wish is to be-
EATEN...
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2