Follow us on Twitter!
The measure of a mans life is not how well he dies, but how well he lives.
Friday, April 25, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 14
Guests Online: 14
Members Online: 0

Registered Members: 82908
Newest Member: krishna7799
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | General | Introductions

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: Hello.

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 03:12
I would very much appreciate it if you could explain why you don't think it is a good choice... Do you think learning one language is a good idea, so knowing one language for Linux/Windows is the obvious thing to do? Why would software made by Microsoft for programming Windows be at a disadvantage to software made by anyone else for programming Windows?
NOTE: Even if your explanation is very short, I'd still appreciate it...

Edited by on 06-06-10 03:27
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 03:18
Also, I want to point out that I didn't read to include my name in my thread title... I just read it. Also:
2) How did you find the site?
I googled and found hackthissite.org, then I found the link to this site there and like it better than hackthissite.org.

NOTE: I did read the general forum posting rules.

Edited by on 06-06-10 03:19
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 03:32
I thought about editing my original post, but the two posts were too separate...

Author

chess_rock

Apprentice
Posted on 06-06-10 03:33
BaburuBoburu wrote:
I would very much appreciate it if you could explain why you don't think it is a good choice... Do you think learning one language is a good idea, so knowing one language for Linux/Windows is the obvious thing to do? Why would software made by Microsoft for programming Windows be at a disadvantage to software made by anyone else for programming Windows?

When we choose a programming language, our objective is to choose one language that is portable, since this will enable us to work with almost any OS. Second, we choose popular languages, since popular languages are much more needed by enterprises than are unknown, or not very common languages. I ask you something to make it clear... Would you rather program in C/C++, or in D? Third... We choose fast languages.

Visual Studio has great languages for you to learn. Those include C/C++, C#, J#, Visual Basic, etc. But if you learn languages such as C#, you'll be locked into windows. That is for sure bad, since you would violate the need for a programmer to have a portable and popular language. I know C# is a fast language, but you would end-up being a windows only developer.

We criticize the choice of VB since that is a limited language. VB is not as powerful as C/C++, and is mostly used for fast development of simple programs.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 03:37
Going by what I've read, I would agree that it seems like Python or C/C++ would be the best portable languages...

EDIT: Being simple to get things done with, it seems like focusing on algorithms and other things would be easier to do.

Edited by on 06-06-10 04:54
Author

chess_rock

Apprentice
Posted on 06-06-10 03:42
BaburuBoburu wrote:
Going by what I've read, I would agree that it seems like Python or C/C++ would be the best portable languages...

C/C++ are the most powerful languages in the list. Python was programmed if i'm not wrong in C, so, it is a bit slower than C and C++. Talking about portability, Java wins, since it runs in a virtual environment that is common for every single OS. So if you wanna go for a more powerful language, C/C++ are for you. If you want a portable language, than Java is for you. If you want a simple language to develop programs fast, than, keep in mind python. It's your choice.
Author

chess_rock

Apprentice
Posted on 06-06-10 03:52
MoshBat wrote:
Python or Perl. Make sure you look at both of those.

Nobody likes java Pfft
Author

goluhaque

Apprentice
Warn Level: 30
Posted on 06-06-10 05:36
Understanding the concepts of JAVA helps a lot in understanding other languages, although it is still not as powerful as C/C++.

That applause I receive from y'all on posting this post would have gotten me drunk on power if I hadn't already been high on life.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 05:37
Well, I'm back on Linux and I'm going to stick with Python... Thanks for the advice.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 14:00
I know that the OP has apparently finally made his choice, but I have to comment here.

chess_rock wrote:
I know C# is a fast language, but you would end-up being a windows only developer.

This is plain wrong. C# is cross platform as it is an interpreted language in a similar way to java, so if he wants a portable language, with the whole .NET thing since he seemed so hung up on that, easily made GUIs and OOP, he might as well go for C#.

Also, what's with the constant perl or python? Why hasn't anyone recommended php to this poor sod? Last I checked there was nothing wrong with php.

Oh and let's not forget:
BaburuBoburu wrote:

No. I can see the confusion here since people go on and on as if C/C++ were portable languages. Sure, in a sense they are, but it depends on what you want to get done. Once you reach an intermediate level of knowledge, or just happen to find something special to do, you will run into problems with portability. This isn't just the system() part of it, but there are a lot of things one might want to do that is OS specific, meaning that you would have to write specific code for either platform.
You can of course make one portable code by the use of preprocessor directives, but you would still have to write the code for any OS that differs for it.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 14:07
I messed around with PHP just a little bit before I reinstalled Linux... It doesn't matter too much. Like I said, I have "C in a Nutshell" and I know a lot about it. I just really don't want to spend a lot of time with C++. I figured Visual Basic for Windows, but the more I think about it I'm going to stick with Linux for now and learn Python. If I'm using Windows and feel like programming, I'll still probably stick with Visual Basic though.

EDIT: Everyone always says "the most powerful language is C/C++".
1. I'm not sure what you mean, and I'm sure it takes a long time to explain if the explanation isn't "You have complete control over what you're doing." or something along those lines. For most people, it's probably important... for me it's not, and I'm never going to be a professional or anything anyways so I have to sort of balance out power and flexibility with being able to do things.
2. I find it hard to understand that so many people look at so many languages as an easier or cute/quirky alternative to using C or C++... again, it probably takes a long time to explain. I'm assuming it does because I've read it on different sites and forums quite a few times and I've never really seen an explanation. The most used explanation I've ever seen is a list of video games and professional software written in C/C++. It seems to me that because everyone uses C/C++, everyone thinks everyone should use C/C++.

Edited by on 06-06-10 14:16
Author

chess_rock

Apprentice
Posted on 07-06-10 02:53
COM wrote:
I know that the OP has apparently finally made his choice, but I have to comment here.

chess_rock wrote:
I know C# is a fast language, but you would end-up being a windows only developer.

This is plain wrong. C# is cross platform as it is an interpreted language in a similar way to java, so if he wants a portable language, with the whole .NET thing since he seemed so hung up on that, easily made GUIs and OOP, he might as well go for C#.

Damn, my mistake. I don't know much about C#, but i've heard from many developers of that language that it aims basically towards windows. My ignorance. I'll google more about that. I should've known more about that before making such assumptions.
Author

fuser

Mad User
Posted on 07-06-10 12:26
chess_rock wrote:
MoshBat wrote:

Nobody likes java Pfft

welll, I do. In fact, I've written a poem to show my love for Java.

img.userbarz.com/51/10006.png
img.userbarz.com/146/29144.gif
img.userbarz.com/99/19602.jpg
img.userbarz.com/4/600.png
img.userbarz.com/45/8814.gif
img360.imageshack.us/img360/9231/bfbarlr0.jpg
[url=http://userbarz.com/][img]ht
catinthecpu@hotmail.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-06-10 12:42
Where is it?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-06-10 12:47
fuser wrote:
chess_rock wrote:
MoshBat wrote:

Nobody likes java Pfft

welll, I do. In fact, I've written a poem to show my love for Java.

img10.imageshack.us/img10/9017/fascinatings.jpg

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 07-06-10 12:48
Grin

Author

goluhaque

Apprentice
Warn Level: 30
Posted on 07-06-10 13:38
Laughed my head off on COM's post. btw, Fuser, please provide us a link.

That applause I receive from y'all on posting this post would have gotten me drunk on power if I hadn't already been high on life.
Author

fuser

Mad User
Posted on 07-06-10 16:50
It's on one of my usb sticks, which went missing for some time, and yes, it is quite fascinating, I know.

In case you want to know, I've also wrote a poem on usb sticks which is had the misfortune for being in the same missing drive.

I'll write a new one, honest.

catinthecpu@hotmail.com
Author

chess_rock

Apprentice
Posted on 07-06-10 17:25
fuser wrote:

I'll be waiting then Smile Few are those who like java. Actually, you're in extinction kinda. Tell us more about you, so we'll be able to tell your story to our grandchildren xD
Author

fuser

Mad User
Posted on 07-06-10 17:42
chess_rock wrote:
fuser wrote:

I'll be waiting then Smile Few are those who like java. Actually, you're in extinction kinda. Tell us more about you, so we'll be able to tell your story to our grandchildren xD

that is, if anyone would want to admit that they're your kin.

catinthecpu@hotmail.com
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2