Follow us on Twitter!
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before. - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 23
Guests Online: 21
Members Online: 2

Registered Members: 82889
Newest Member: Geriztul
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | General | Introductions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author

Hello.

Your avatar

Posted on 05-06-10 07:02
I've experimented with a lot of different languages, but I'm not a master of any of them. I don't know any math, really... beyond algebra. I've been reading for a long time about computers and programming, but don't really feel like I know very much. I have tried more than 5 distributions of Linux, but never stuck with any of them longer than Ubuntu. I thought about trying Debian for awhile, but I ran out of CD/R's before I burned an installation and haven't gotten around to buying any since. I'm using Windows right now, after over a year of nothing but Linux being on my computer. If anyone can come up with a list of the best free books or tutorials on general security/hacking for people who don't know very much about anything I'd really appreciate it. I've been googling for quite a while, off and on, and haven't really found any real quality free books on general security/hacking for people who don't know very much about anything.

Edited by on 05-06-10 07:07
Author

RE: Hello.

Your avatar

Posted on 05-06-10 07:16
Computers/programming/security/hacking is just a hobby of mine, I don't plan on making money or becoming a professional.
Right now I'm planning on learning about Visual Basic. I don't want Visual C++, and besides VC++ it seems like it would be the best idea.

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 05-06-10 12:16
I'd advise you to learn C + perl/python instead of learning bullshit languages like visual basic.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-06-10 13:12
I agree with spyware(except the need to use an expletive in relation to a language)

Also,you should stick with one language.(even if it seems like you are stuck)

If you really want to mess with your brain, I would recommend "Brainfuck".Smile

But most importantly,stick with what you like,every programming language has its advantages and finally its up to you to decide what you are comfortable in.
(again,that does not mean changing it every few hours).

I like Visual basic,cause its easy to link with databases.
(I NEVER pursued it,only did a few tiny progs for school)

Also,you should try and make code that can be easily compiled and run on Linux/Unix,which is why many people use GCC standard code(C).

And I would say the same with resect to the O.S.,I like using linux but usually program in windows cause most of my client base(victims/friends) use only windows...however,I recommend Backtrack.

Not because of the tools(Never got around to using any of them),but because it has great graphics,is the only one from amongst all the Linuxes I have tried(other than xPUD) to have recognised all my devices and is a fully featured live O.S.

Edited by on 05-06-10 13:27
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-06-10 13:29
Of Visual * Express languages, which do you think is the best? For Windows, I'd kind of like to go with a Visual * Express...

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-06-10 13:39
Visual C# is good(this is second hand experience,so DONT rely on it completely).
But I tend to avoid any programming products from Microsoft,they are usually too big.
I like C# cause its simple,has a lot of power,etc.
But I would still recommend using GCC or MINGW(C/C++)
If not for anything else,then for the ability to compile the same code on a Linux.
Author

SySTeM

Your avatar

HBH Guru
Posted on 05-06-10 14:06
onejerlo: USE FUCKING PUNCTUATION.

img138.imageshack.us/img138/6527/sig2ak1.jpg
www.hellboundhackers.org/sig/r/2783.png

http://www.elites0ft.com/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-06-10 14:08
spyware wrote:
I'd advise you to learn C + perl/python instead of learning bullshit languages like visual basic.

How is any language a bullshit language?
If Visual Basic fits his needs then it's a fine language.

I think it's about time that people start to realize that there's no such thing as "better" languages than others. Every language is good at what its designed for.

Let's take a simple example, when it comes to gamehacking, people usually go for C++

Now lets take some examples of things you might have to do:
Creating fake stacks as calling a function directly doesn't always work out too good and JMP into the middle of one, sometimes you have to overwrite gamecode in your own callbacks, stack modifications, the whole nineyards really.

This would mean that C is obviously a ''better'' language than C++ in this factor, as it's closer to the memory and C++ takes over memory functions that might come in handy.

With other words, the language you use, should simply fit your needs. So stop forcing people into languages-- that fit yours.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 05-06-10 15:02
I don't have any problems with the suggestion, personally... but I've been thinking about it for a while and I'm going to stick with VB for Windows.

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 06-06-10 00:28
VB is useless.

[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 06-06-10 00:39
MoshBat wrote:
I have a stack of wood to cut, and my tools are a saw and an axe. As I'm not very accurate with an axe, and the end result would be inconsistently, and badly, cut wood, I'm going to choose the saw, even though the axe may get the job done faster, with less effort.

The correct response would be to learn how to use an axe properly. Especially if the saw can only cut wood that comes from Microlog.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 06-06-10 00:56
MoshBat wrote:
And if the fire is going out?

You should've learned how to wield axes before you were made responsible to keep the fire going.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 06-06-10 01:00
MoshBat wrote:
We were all taught usage of the correct tools for every job we will ever undergo, weren't we?

And -that's- why I am advising the OP to learn C/C++ and perl/python first.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
Author

chess_rock

Apprentice
Posted on 06-06-10 02:31
I believe that if the OP wants a real "programming experience" and "learning" he should go for languages such as C/C++ rather than Visual Basic. Long time ago, when i didn't know any programming languages, I'd simply get my visual basic and start programming things. I made browsers and some other things i wouldn't be able to program on any other language.

Visual Basic has many details that teach newbies new codes and syntax, and also, help professionals to get the job done faster.

Conclusions: I believe that if the OP wants to learn more about programming, it would be interesting that he learnt some C/C++, perl, python or java before. But if he aims towards making programs fast or developing graphical interfaces, it would be cool to learn VB. If he wants to learn and deliver graphical interfaces, than he should take a look at Qt.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 02:33
I've read a free book and did the example code in the free book for both Python and Perl. For Windows, I can't see not using VC++, VB.NET, Visual * Express, *.NET, whatever... just so I can switch back to Linux and not have to switch to another language. It doesn't seem worth it to me... I wouldn't say it's objectively not worth it, but still...

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 02:39
chess_rock wrote:
Conclusions: I believe that if the OP wants to learn more about programming, it would be interesting that he learnt some C/C++, perl, python or java before. But if he aims towards making programs fast or developing graphical interfaces, it would be cool to learn VB. If he wants to learn and deliver graphical interfaces, than he should take a look at Qt.

I own C in a Nutshell, I've read free books on C++ and a commercial book on it as well a long time ago. I've read at least a full free book on Python and Perl. The only language in your list I have had practically no experience at all with reading or writing is Java. It seems like VB.NET or other Visual * Express languages are good for Windows programming. I just don't understand someone pointing out that it only works with Windows if the point of installing it is to write programs for Windows. I don't really want to master 20 different languages, so I don't know what to learn really. But for Windows programming I can't see using Microsoft's software as a mistake...

Edited by on 06-06-10 02:42
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 06-06-10 02:39
MoshBat wrote:
what advantages do the Visual* languages have over any others?

You don't have to learn how to use gtk/qt libs if you want a GUI.That isn't really an advantage though.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 02:41
MoshBat wrote:
So, assuming you're always going to be using Windows, what advantages do the Visual* languages have over any others?

They're .NET, they're extremely well documented, they're made by the creator of the OS, Microsoft has tons of learning material on their site... off the top of my head.

Author

chess_rock

Apprentice
Posted on 06-06-10 02:41
If you want to program things for any platform, think Java or Python. I'd suggest Java, since it is much more object oriented.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 06-06-10 03:05
Well, I really meant for my "off the top of my head" to be a summary more than a list of individual strengths... I know 99% of languages are well documented.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >