View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 10 of 12 << < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Author

RE: God rank to easy?

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 29-10-08 02:42
I agree, I know that I am not able to "implement" but, I do like to help it happen as much as possible. As far as this topic (me helping by doing anything other than suggestions) I will retain any other comments for now. Just know, if I can help I am willing.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 02:46
yours31f wrote:
but, I do like to help it happen as much as possible.

Then, keep giving suggestions for improvement. You have yet to make a mark on this thread.

As far as this topic (me helping by doing anything other than suggestions) I will retain any other comments for now. Just know, if I can help I am willing.

I hate to break it to you... but, there's no fairy-tale ending to this story. If you can't help "with just suggestions", then you DAMN SURE ain't no help to the site for more. Walk before you run, or you'll trip and look like a dumbass.

If you don't have a suggestion for improvement, then just shut the hell up, because you're wasting my time.

Edited by on 29-10-08 02:47
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 05:09
Uber0n wrote:
I'd really like to see a solo coding competition, where you can use any language you want to create a special kind of application (clearly defined in the rules - not just 'code a useful application' but rather 'code a HTTP server', 'code a md5 cracker' or something like that).

That'd be great :happy:

NOTE: Perhaps not too advanced stuff, since that'd prevent beginners from participating B)

I like that idea, I could use the practice.

Could it be possible to make a poll to help decide what type of application should be coded in the competition? I guess that way more people will seem interested in attempting it.

[somewhat off-topic] Although Zephyr's idea of posting the CSS challenge is awesome. I'm still in the mist of getting started so I'm going to miss the Halloween deadline. Sad Oh well, I'll still try it! Grin [/somewhat off-topic]

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 11:28
nine-ball wrote:
Could it be possible to make a poll to help decide what type of application should be coded in the competition? I guess that way more people will seem interested in attempting it.

I thought it would be much more vague than it actually was when I considered the same idea. However, I have tried my best to make it less so in some way, so... we have a poll! Once we get enough votes on the category, we can move on to narrowing down the type of application.

nine-ball wrote:
[somewhat off-topic] Although Zephyr's idea of posting the CSS challenge is awesome. I'm still in the mist of getting started so I'm going to miss the Halloween deadline. Sad Oh well, I'll still try it! Grin [/somewhat off-topic]

Thanks... I just got tired of people telling me how much the current HBH themes suck. Also, I've been stuck with the same theme for over two years (because I can't stand the light themes), so it's time for a change of pace. As for the deadline... you can try submitting the theme by Friday, but I can't guarantee that it will make it into the Halloween contest if submitted that late. It will be retained for the regular theme contest, though.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 12:03
A couple more suggestions that sprung to mind:

The code bank has now been cleaned out and we have already discussed the amount of attention code you submit should get, mostly comparing it to the way articles handle. That reminds me that besides being displayed on the main page in one of the many manners already mentioned, displayed on your profile if you submit, etc. people who submit code should be allowed to edit code that they have submitted just like articles.
The code is open for all to view, comment on and since we should be seeking improvement, we should allow it to be editable for that purpose.

Besides that I thought I'd mention what I said in the "CP for Articles and Code" thread and extend it a bit. As mentioned in the other thread I think the use of voting good/bad on posts to hand out community points is prone to misuse, see thread for why. As stated there removing the system isn't something that'd please many people and I do think that the input you do through forums should be rewarded if good as much as any other help you extend to the community.
That being the case I say that not only EMs should get to vote on any post, but anyone who has supplied some sort of proof that they know what they're doing. In this case, as mentioned that'd be an increased community point limit for voting and we can just hope that people hand out as many rewarding votes as they do punishing ones (not unnecessarily of course, talking about the ratio). I do however also feel that EMs did pay and thus shouldn't lose benefits that they have payed for. However, just because you pay doesn't mean that you should be qualified to vote on anything, obviously by paying they show a care for the community which isn't shown in their community points sum. Thus I propose that everyone over a certain CP limit should be able to vote in any part of the forum and that EMs should have the CP restriction for forum voting decreased, but not so much as to be able to manipulate people's community points without themselves having proven themselves to the community.
Also forum parts such as the "Off Topic" part might be best left out of voting since it is as the name states, off topic and thus open to fool around in a bit. No need to lose community points just because you don't agree with someone on which superhero would win in a superhero vs. superhero battle, or anything of the likes, nor is there any need to reward those who agree with you in such a useless argument. If someone does something incredibly stupid there, like say, create heaps of shitty unnecessary threads to the point where people are getting annoyed and try to create a small lynch mob and find the person in question, then admins can deal with that person.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 12:45
COM wrote:
That reminds me that besides being displayed on the main page in one of the many manners already mentioned, displayed on your profile if you submit, etc. people who submit code should be allowed to edit code that they have submitted just like articles.

All three items are on the list and I'm bugging the hell out of our staff developers now to get it on someone's schedule. Expect this by mid-November.

COM wrote:
-not only EMs should get to vote on any post
-be an increased community point limit for voting
-EMs did pay and thus shouldn't lose benefits
-everyone over a certain CP limit should be able to vote in any part of the forum
-EMs should have the CP restriction for forum voting decreased
-forum parts such as the "Off Topic" part might be best left out of voting

Noted. I'll add this under the CP ideas on my list but, to be honest, I don't expect these updates to come for a while. There's a crapload of more important stuff in front of it.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 12:53
Obviously there're more important things to be done, I don't expect instant changes. I'm just glad that the things at least get up on the to do list, else they'd never get done, not even later.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 13:38
COM wrote:
Obviously there're more important things to be done, I don't expect instant changes. I'm just glad that the things at least get up on the to do list, else they'd never get done, not even later.

Agreed, and thank you all for your patience during this series of transitions. I just like to let people know the honest truth so that the community doesn't feel like I'm making promises I can't keep. Smile

Also, everyone be sure to vote in the new poll I made. Once we nail down the category, we will be one step closer to a new coding competition!

Now, I'd like to ask everyone for their thoughts concerning our current content layout on the site. In my opinion, articles and Code Bank submissions should be up there beside the newest challenges at the top of the page. What are your thoughts on the items on each side, though? Placement, importance, need, etc. Everything counts, so don't think that anything you mention will not matter.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 29-10-08 14:37
I think these should be the categories:

1) Newest challenges
2) Newest articles
3) Newest updates

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 14:56
yours31f wrote:
I think these should be the categories:

1) Newest challenges
2) Newest articles
3) Newest updates

At the top of the main page? That's halfway a good idea, but I think we need to stress the Code Bank to get more content in there. We could combine the "newest features" and the "newest challenges" into one list, so that we're not trying to stress the challenge aspect of the site so much in lieu of the other content. That would also make up for the fact that our articles section sees updates at least twice as often as challenges & updates (combined, even).

For that matter, I've got a temporary idea to get our news content updating more often, so we need a place for the news where it will be more of a highlight than it is now. Any ideas on how we could display that better and get it more attention?

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 29-10-08 16:13
why not something to this effect?
img406.imageshack.us/img406/9687/newjv1.png

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 16:50
What about the news itself, though? I like the "popular" links being at the top there (like the FAQ, etc.), but how were would the actual news items display if we moved them?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 17:13
How about a fourth column?

I agree the news does indeed need to move so that it can take more precedence over the home page which will encourage more people to read. Plus it will allow for more room below the current topics for other news more relevant to HBH?

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 29-10-08 19:39
Want content? Get writers!

HBH lacks news-searchers/writers. I believe there's an easy remedy: weekly blog-style article-length-like texts about various topics. What topics? These topics!: news, stuff going on at HBH, interesting things happening around the globe, whatever works, really.

These textual tidbits could be used to update the frontpage more occasionally and, drumroll, increase self-made content!

Actual SELF-made content is rare (read; non-existent) on HBH. Most of the code is basic, article quality is... coughable, and the challenges are... well... old. Generating more HBH-only content would mean generating an advantage for HBH.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s

Edited by spyware on 29-10-08 23:36
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-10-08 21:34
spyware wrote:
Want content? Get writers!

HBH lacks news-searchers/writers. I believe there's an easy remedy: weekly blog-style article-length-like texts about various topics. What topics? These topics!: news, stuff going on at HBH, interesting things happening around the globe, whatever works, really.

These textual tidbits could be used to update the frontpage more occasionally and, drumroll, increase self-maTde content!

Actual SELF-made content is rare (read; non-existent) on HBH. Most of the code is basic, article quality is... coughable, and the challenges are... well... old. Generating more HBH-only content would mean generating an advantage for HBH.

Spyware, why don't you be one of the writers?
You always have something to say;
plus, I have been around for 1000+ of your posts and I can tell you have a nack for writing.
Perhaps you could even throw in a cartoon every now and then?
/me likes your drawings :)

As for the old challenges...
New challenges are rolling in.
Moshbat, keiran, and yourself have made new challenges.
I myself thought of an interesting, and hard, programming/stenography challenge today, which I will code in the next few weeks.

Lets keep the ball rolling!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-08 03:11
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
COM wrote:

Agreed, and thank you all for your patience during this series of transitions. I just like to let people know the honest truth so that the community doesn't feel like I'm making promises I can't keep. Smile

Also, everyone be sure to vote in the new poll I made. Once we nail down the category, we will be one step closer to a new coding competition!

Now, I'd like to ask everyone for their thoughts concerning our current content layout on the site. In my opinion, articles and Code Bank submissions should be up there beside the newest challenges at the top of the page. What are your thoughts on the items on each side, though? Placement, importance, need, etc. Everything counts, so don't think that anything you mention will not matter.

I have a vague idea for showing the latest updates.If you notice some of the sites do have some ads covering up the webpage while we open the home page.Also there's is a button on the top right saying "skip this ad".If we skip the ad, it will show you the homepage.Well nobody looks at those ads though, I was thinking if we could display our latest updates like latest codes, latest challenges, latest articles and short glimpse of articles but not the code bank or challenges in just like ad page.

If a new user visits the HBH site, he would see these updates and if he wants to go to homepage, he can do that by pressing the skip to homepage button.If a regular user wants to see these updates then he can click the links on the ad kinda page and then can be navigated to the corresponding new updates.

Guys, please comment on the feasibility.

Edited by on 30-10-08 04:46
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-08 10:20
M4zh4r wrote:
If a new user visits the HBH site, he would see these updates and if he wants to go to homepage, he can do that by pressing the skip to homepage button.

Please no... It would be annoying to see it pop-up almost everytime I visit hbh, and ip checking won't help much either since I have a dynamic IP.
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 30-10-08 10:25
If you visit HBH, you visit HBH. The frontpage is called 'frontpage' for a reason.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-08 10:38
spyware wrote:
If you visit HBH, you visit HBH. The frontpage is called 'frontpage' for a reason.

When I say everytime I visit hbh I do mean visit hbh, not changing page.

Also that idea would be enough reason for it to be annoying. I doubt any visitor like those ads with the skip button since most people just ignore them and skip to the site. If anyone would like to see the latest updates the admins could just add a new page for it or maybe remove the Latest features on frontpage and add others. The latest one showing there is "HBH Bot" and its OLD, I can't find any reason to keep it either really.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 30-10-08 11:42
moshbat wrote:
Agreed.
We do need much, much more going on around here
I am more than willing to help out with anything I can.
I trust you have all noticed the drop in all but the most "hardcore" of users online here? That's a sign, is it not, that there is nothing much to keep them here.
The forums are near dead half of the time, the news is the same for weeks on end and articles are on the whole, lacking originality.
This is a community, so if you put more in, you get more out Smile

I couldn't agree more... everything you said is accurate. Also, for those that do read feeds or news each day or every other day: Take the small amount of time it would take to just copy and paste an interesting item you read into the news submission. Wrote a term paper on an interesting security-related subject? Submit it as an article; definitely can't be worse than most of the crap we're getting right now. Interesting bit of code that you used to do something cool? Toss in some comments and put it in the Code Bank. Think of the least effort ways that you can contribute and, a lot of times, you'll find that you could contribute content in less time than it takes you to think of a witty flame or smartass comment.

SnigelSniper wrote:
Also that idea would be enough reason for it to be annoying. I doubt any visitor like those ads with the skip button since most people just ignore them and skip to the site. If anyone would like to see the latest updates the admins could just add a new page for it or maybe remove the Latest features on frontpage and add others. The latest one showing there is "HBH Bot" and its OLD, I can't find any reason to keep it either really.

I agree that an initial landing page would be annoying. As for my take on the updates and such at the top, I posted them on the last page. In a nutshell: latest articles, updates & challenges, and code bank.

Page 10 of 12 << < 7 8 9 10 11 12 >