Follow us on Twitter!
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before. - Dwight D. Eisenhower
Friday, April 25, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 19
Guests Online: 19
Members Online: 0

Registered Members: 82909
Newest Member: awais
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > >>
Author

RE: God rank to easy?

Your avatar

Posted on 18-10-08 13:18
Summary:
Debates about belief are pointless since you can neither prove the existence nor the absence of a god, meaning that we all just choose what we believe to be most sensible. Thus the name belief. Arguing about differing opinions is futile, so don't do it.

Saying that you could put satan as a rank above god is not only as stated dumb to say because it'll just piss religious morons off, but because god doesn't necessarily mean the one connected with satan. There's more than one belief structure out there, ever heard of polytheism?

Changing the rank structure to match the new amount of points that can be gathered from challenges might as well be done to please the crowd who feels that points and ranks matter. Obviously it's good to point out that points aren't what provides you with power and knowledge, as we're always keen to point out whenever something like this comes along, but there'll always be people to whom it will matter in some way. Those who don't care about it shouldn't care if it changes either so it'd be a win/win situation.

As for the penis bit, K3174N, you were probably not here when we went through it, but rank really does make your penis bigger. Just ask system, he has to wrap it around his leg if he wants to go outside.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 18-10-08 15:21
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
yours31f wrote:
Hey zeph, since you brought up challenges, you should talk to Root_op about mine, considering you are an admin now.

In the future, PM me about it (as I stated when I brought up challenges in the first place). Don't OT in a thread without putting something on-topic.

R4574 wrote:
K3174N 420 or Keiran Your an atheist, right?

Dude, if you turn this thread into a religious debate, I'll roll you up and smoke your ass.

I never planned on making it a debate... I just wanted to know why he ask if he was athiest.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-10-08 15:22
COM wrote:
Summary:

Nicely written and nice save for the thread... it was headed to the OT heap.

Saying that you could put satan as a rank above god is not only as stated dumb to say because it'll just piss religious morons off, but because god doesn't necessarily mean the one connected with satan. There's more than one belief structure out there, ever heard of polytheism?

Very valid point. However, there's no point in pissing people off with something that is... well, sub-par to begin with. Doing a classic Heaven vs. Hell homage in a new rank would be just as silly for the same reason you mentioned above (polytheism). Personally, I think the next two ranks should be "Silver Surfer" and "Galactus". Pfft

Changing the rank structure to match the new amount of points that can be gathered from challenges might as well be done to please the crowd who feels that points and ranks matter. Obviously it's good to point out that points aren't what provides you with power and knowledge, as we're always keen to point out whenever something like this comes along, but there'll always be people to whom it will matter in some way. Those who don't care about it shouldn't care if it changes either so it'd be a win/win situation.

I can't help but believe that this topic needs to be discussed alongside a much older topic of making the ranks percentage-based. Sure, people would whine if they barely made Guru, then 4 new challenges came out and bumped them back down... but, really, they would only notice if they care and it would only happen if they weren't active enough with the challenge content. It's silly to just keep adding ranks as we need them... there's only so much after "God". Pfft

make your penis bigger. Just ask system, he has to wrap it around his leg if he wants to go outside.

lol

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-10-08 15:55
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
I can't help but believe that this topic needs to be discussed alongside a much older topic of making the ranks percentage-based.

My initial thought and solution to the problem with ranks was also to use a percentage based system instead of manually moving the limits up or adding new ranks. However, I was under the impression that that was the system that was in use before the current one.
I assume that if that is correct then there was a reason to switch to this new system, which is why I didn't mention it in the first place, but even if it was changed for a reason I suppose it would be a good idea to review it.

I think the next two ranks should be "Silver Surfer" and "Galactus". Pfft

I like "Galactus", but I'd prefer "Skullfucker" over "Silver Surfer". Pfft

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-10-08 17:01
What if an athiest got to the rank of GOD,
would that mean that they dont believe in themselves?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-10-08 17:12
yours31f wrote:
I never planned on making it a debate... I just wanted to know why he ask if he was athiest.

I wasn't talking to you... Quit answering for other people.

Texas Instruments wrote:

Nah... it just means you're a doofus. Smile

Author

K3174N 420

Hacker Level 1
Warn Level: 69
Posted on 18-10-08 17:53
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
Texas Instruments wrote:

Nah... it just means you're a doofus. Smile

... Who's the doofus... the atheist or Texas Instruments...

XD im an atheist with the God rank, i believe in myself ^^.

Thanks Yours31f!
img114.imageshack.us/img114/1497/keiran420cy2.jpg
Make poverty history... Cheaper drugs now! - Frank gallagher
[small][center]Einstein climbs to the top of Mt. Sinai to get close enough to talk to God.
Looking up, he asks the Lord...
"God, what does a million years mean to you?"
The Lord replies, "A minute."
"Einstein asks, "And what does a million pounds mean to you?"
The Lord replies, "A penny."
Einste
http://keiran420.ueuo.com/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-10-08 18:00
I use proper English... figure it out.

Author

K3174N 420

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 18-10-08 18:14
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
I use proper English... figure it out.

Texas Instruments it is then.

Smile

Thanks Yours31f!
[small][center]Einstein climbs to the top of Mt. Sinai to get close enough to talk to God.
Einste
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 18-10-08 20:32
Or both.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-10-08 06:53
Well seeing as not even the OP has given any suggestions to actually improve the system he was graciously pointing out flaws in, besides shoveling on some new ranks every time the gap in points grow too large, here's a suggestion.

We've got the maximum amount of points you can get, that's 100, as in 100%. From the looks of the system we want it to be an exponential growth instead of a linear one. This means that, to make it simple, the equation is based on a squared function, thus we take the square root out of the 100 max and get 10. We now divide it into the amount of ranks we've got -1 because the first one is 0, meaning we divide the 10 with 14 and get a result that we round down to 0.71. Since it's rounded down to not go over 100% it means that we'll get a gap between the maximum amount of points and the amount needed for maximum rank which in this case will be: (0.71 * 14)^2 = 98.8036
This means that you'll need 98.8036% of the total points to achieve God rank, it's a small gap, but that was the main complaint anyway.
Following the equation (0.71 * <rank number above guest>)^2 means that we're left with a list that looks like this:

Guest <0.5041%
Newbie >=0.5041%
Apprentice >=2.0164%
Moderate >=4.5369%
Wiseman >=7.84%
Active User >=12.6025%
Mad User >=18.1476%
Monster >=24.7009%
Hacker Level 1 >=32.2624%
Hacker Level 2 >=40.8321%
Hacker Level 3 >=50.41%
Elite >=60.9961%
Uber Elite >=72.5904%
HBH Guru >=85.1929%
God >=98.8036%

Currently we're adding forum posts to our total points which are then compared to the limits of ranks, unfortunately as we've seen forum posts don't necessarily mean you've done something worthy of points. Community points just sit there without any obvious purpose even though those are what should show how much you've helped and done for the community, thus your total points should instead of challenge points + forum posts, consist of challenge points + community points.
Adressing the own rank in this system, you could simply make it 105% of the maximum challenge points or something similar such as 100% + x amount that you deem good. All this means is that you've probably completed all or close to all challenges and that you've done enough for the community to get enough community points or, for instance made challenges, or discovered vulnerabilities or anything else that can reward you with additional points.

K3174N a happy bunny now?

Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 19-10-08 07:41
COM wrote:
<a lot of good things>

I totally agree ^^

img230.imageshack.us/img230/724/uber0nsig3hj6.gif
http://uber0n.web. . .
Nope http://uber0n.webs.com/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-10-08 13:04
COM wrote:
<a lot of good things>

Uber0n wrote:
I totally agree ^^

Indeed... that was a damn good post. I'm saving those numbers and suggested inclusions of CPs and custom ranks for later. Right now, I think it's safe to say that fixing ranks is not a top priority; however, at some point, it will be. When it is, that will be a good way to consider doing it.

Author

K3174N 420

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 19-10-08 14:07
@COM,
That defiantly would be an improved system...
As for forum posts affecting rank... i didn't even know that.... I thought thats what CP's where for...

If used that would defiantly make the god rank harder to achieve Smile
We cant have to many gods can we? ^^

And as for...
COM wrote:
K3174N a happy bunny now?

Hmmm... Happy bunny?... please dont refer to me as a 'Happy bunny' From now on please XD

:vamp:*evil bunnys*:vamp:

Thanks Yours31f!
Einste
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-10-08 14:18
Fun with dictionaries time!

Defiantly vs. Definitely

To vs. Too

Which one will win in these pairs? We'll just have to wait and see, bet your money now folks.

Author

K3174N 420

Hacker Level 1
Posted on 19-10-08 14:26
COM wrote:
Fun with dictionaries time!

Defiantly vs. Definitely

To vs. Too

Which one will win in these pairs? We'll just have to wait and see, bet your money now folks.

haha... -.-

Thanks Yours31f!
Einste
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-10-08 14:26
So... does anyone have any arguments in favor of a point-based system instead of a percentage-based one?

Edited by on 19-10-08 14:40
Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 19-10-08 15:22
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
So... does anyone have any arguments in favor of a point-based system instead of a percentage-based one?

Well, now it's clearly distinguishable what rank you are at, and how many points you need to go up, percentage based system will rather be vague and obscure, with even more people asking stupid 'how many challenges do I need to finish in order to get ****'. Secondly until some extent the percentage system would mean, that you could proceed in the hiearchy even without completing very basic challenges. However I am aware that this isn't necessarily disadvantage, as it would allow more experienced users to skip over the basics. Moreover how efectivelly would you attach more/less value to different challenges, depending on their difficulty ?
In conclusion the beauty of current system is it's simplicity along with clarity, proposed system on the other hand provides flexibility and probably more objective ranking system.
I don't really care, it can be either way Grin

[img][/img]img164.imageshack.us/img164/5713/perlvl0.jpg

clone4.freehostia.com/ubuntu_3.png
spyware - "They see me trollin'..."
<yaragn> ever seen that movie? The Matrix?
<yaragn> with those green lines of flying text?
<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-10-08 15:41
clone4 wrote:
Well, now it's clearly distinguishable what rank you are at, and how many points you need to go up, percentage based system will rather be vague and obscure, with even more people asking stupid 'how many challenges do I need to finish in order to get ****'.

Well, yeah, but that's going to happen with either system. Pfft I think the solution to this (which should've been included with the point-based system a while ago) would be a page right below "Challenge Points" on the left that shows the minimum point requirements for ranks (instead of the forum post that does that currently). Then, with a percentage-based system, we could have it dynamically generate the required point counts for each, using the floor() function to ensure accuracy with decimal results.

Secondly until some extent the percentage system would mean, that you could proceed in the hiearchy even without completing very basic challenges.

Actually, based upon the percentages, it looks like it would take more to proceed than it does now. Also, it would introduce the possibility of moving backwards in rank if you're inactive... which could encourage some to be active on a regular basis.

Moreover how efectivelly would you attach more/less value to different challenges, depending on their difficulty ?

I don't see how this would be handled any differently than in a point-total-based system. The points would still be there... the percentages would be a percentage of the total challenge points available. Thus, more difficult challenges would propel you in rank faster, as it does now (if the points are higher for harder ones, that is).

Still, good points... I'd love to see everyone else's views on this as well.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-10-08 16:12
I'm glad to see that Zephyr has fully understood what I meant with the system, I'd like to summarize it though for everyone.
The percentage based system would still give points as it has until now, there's no need to change challenge points for it or anything of the likes. Upcoming challenges will have points addressed to them as usual and the only thing that would change is that instead of manually having to move/add ranks, we'd have the borders change automatically as needed when new challenges are implemented.
I thought it as an obvious thing to have a page displaying the maximum amount of available points and what the point boundaries are currently for the different ranks.
I don't understand the argument about not having to complete basic things to move up in rank, that's just as valid now as it'd be then. Nobody is forcing you to complete the challenges in order, so you can skip them as you please. If it was referring to the restriction of having to have completed basic 1 or having x amount of points to post comments, etc. then since the points would still be in use, nothing states that those things would have to disappear.
Furthermore as Zephyr correctly pointed out, you actually need to do a lot more to advance in ranks with a percentage based system than with the current point based one. To a certain extent it'll be easier to advance in the beginning, however the later ranks will be much more difficult to get to meaning that if you want a high rank you can't exactly go around skipping everything.

Everything that is using points or anything of the likes will still function as it has until now, all that'd differ is the rank calculation.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 > >>