Follow us on Twitter!
One mans freedom fighter, another's terrorist.
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 34
Guests Online: 34
Members Online: 0

Registered Members: 82831
Newest Member: FL4SHC0D3R
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 6 of 12 << < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > >>
Author

RE: God rank to easy?

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 22-10-08 08:13
COM wrote:
However, if you would put it into sub categories then I would suggest, as has been suggested before and should be the natural order, that the code bank is displayed just like the articles on the main page. That might not show the latest replies, however it'd still leave it more available to comment and see new submissions. You could even separate it into two sections where you show the latest beginner and another where you show the latest advanced, or a hybrid, making it like the forum part but for code instead. Meaning that the beginner section would have the same latest replied on top function that the forums currently have for those who put it up to more easily see what help they have received, as the more advanced are not posting it to get help on it.
Together with the displaying on the main page it has of course also been previously suggested that by comparison to the articles, a person should also have their submitted code displayed with a link on their profile. Seems a fair enough implementation to me, however not very high priority, so just thought I'd mention it to keep it in mind.

Exactly what I was going for. As for displaying the code on the main page, I would also suggest putting the 'best' codes there, as it will work as a representation of community, showing new people here that we have some skilled coders, that can help you out...

[img][/img]img164.imageshack.us/img164/5713/perlvl0.jpg

clone4.freehostia.com/ubuntu_3.png
spyware - "They see me trollin'..."
<yaragn> ever seen that movie? The Matrix?
<yaragn> with those green lines of flying text?
<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 22-10-08 08:20
COM wrote:
There shall be no king, long live the council, long live the people! Even kings feel when they're dying, some just choose to embrace it quietly and trust their council.

The council doesn't pay for this site, and neither do the people.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-10-08 08:41
spyware wrote:

Then respect and appreciation is given for that, but the power, change, decisions, etc. in a community shall still come from its people and council. It brings freedom and it brings truth.

Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 22-10-08 09:16
COM wrote:
a person should also have their submitted code displayed with a link on their profile.

Definately.

Zephyr_Pure wrote:
this thread is officially stickied so, if anyone has any other ideas for improvements / concerns / whatever, go ahead and post it here.

I'd still like a "view all unread forum posts" page. It sucks only being able to see the last few updated ones (and it sucks even more going through all subforums manually looking for new posts) Pfft I know I've asked for this before (http://www.hellbo. . .d_id=11316) but it'd be a really good improvement B)

img230.imageshack.us/img230/724/uber0nsig3hj6.gif
http://uber0n.web. . .
Nope http://uber0n.webs.com/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-10-08 12:25
spyware wrote:

COM wrote:
Then respect and appreciation is given for that, but the power, change, decisions, etc. in a community shall still come from its people and council. It brings freedom and it brings truth.

Well, as I continue to repeat for everyone, this is yet to be proven and, until then: Believe it when you see it.

clone4 wrote:
Exactly what I was going for. As for displaying the code on the main page, I would also suggest putting the 'best' codes there, as it will work as a representation of community, showing new people here that we have some skilled coders, that can help you out...

Give a criteria for judging "best", and I'll put this on the list. Are we just talking ratings here?

Uber0n wrote:
I'd still like a "view all unread forum posts" page. It sucks only being able to see the last few updated ones (and it sucks even more going through all subforums manually looking for new posts) Pfft I know I've asked for this before (http://www.hellbo. . .d_id=11316) but it'd be a really good improvement B)

If it was just new posts that you wanted to see, then I could easily say it would be a quick change: just a query to pop the articles since your last logout into some page. For unread forum posts, though... there's currently nothing in place that designates them read, so it would be a new feature.

I just took a quick glance back at that thread, and I think the 25-high list is much easier to push through right now. Also, "follow threads" is referring to threads you have posted in and want to see any replies to... This, also, is relatively easy in theory of just pulling your replies from the past week and seeing if it's not the last post. I'm only limiting it to a week on that bit because, without a read flag on the threads, there's no other way to limit the results.

Anyways, both of those have gone on my list. Smile

Edited by on 22-10-08 12:32
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-10-08 12:29
I'l read through this tomorrow, when i'm in a better mood, but keep the ideas coming!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-10-08 12:35
root_op wrote:
I'l read through this tomorrow, when i'm in a better mood, but keep the ideas coming!

No worries. I'll be summarizing the highlights in an admin post today, ordered by priority. If you still want to, though, you can read through the rest of the thread. Smile

Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 22-10-08 15:57
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
clone4 wrote:

Give a criteria for judging "best", and I'll put this on the list. Are we just talking ratings here?

Damn why did you have to find the flaw so fast Smile I was thinking about it, and yes it seems little insufficient to base the quality of the code just on general ranking.
How about to base it on balance of mods and 'regular people' votes. where if the code had less then two awesom ratings from mods, it couldn't get to the mainpage, and then decide the best on overall number of awesom votes.

<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 22-10-08 17:06
clone4 wrote:
How about to base it on balance of mods and 'regular people' votes.

'regular people' are idiots. They shall embrace easy scripts, nasty viruses and deploy-with-a-click(-and-i'm-a-dick) programs.

Regular people are idiots. They vote for idiotic things. Oh, hiya Bush, sup?

[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 22-10-08 17:08
spyware wrote:

You do realize that you're a member of the 'regular people' group dont you?

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-10-08 17:12
clone4 wrote:
Damn why did you have to find the flaw so fast Smile

It's a hobby of mine... I break other people's logic.

clone4 wrote:
I was thinking about it, and yes it seems little insufficient to base the quality of the code just on general ranking.
How about to base it on balance of mods and 'regular people' votes. where if the code had less then two awesom ratings from mods, it couldn't get to the mainpage, and then decide the best on overall number of awesom votes.

Yes, it would be insufficient. Instead of basing it on any votes at all, let's give this idea a whirl:

A moderated code bank would have sub-par submissions removed; thus, we could just display the new submissions that remain... as those would all be of reasonable quality. Also, this would have an advantage over a simple quality rank in that it would display more diverse rotating content instead of the "top picks" all the time. This would also require an approval system for the code bank, though, in order for it to be effective.

Author

clone4

Mad User
Posted on 22-10-08 17:12
spyware wrote:
clone4 wrote:
How about to base it on balance of mods and 'regular people' votes.

'regular people' are idiots. They shall embrace easy scripts, nasty viruses and deploy-with-a-click(-and-i'm-a-dick) programs.

Little too scepticalGrin Smile Well that is why I put there the mod's rating condition. I mean how else could you at least a little objectively distinguish what code is 'the best' thus gets to the main page ?
You could always base it just on mods rating, but then you ignore opinion of skilled coders who are not mods or admins...

Zephyr_Pure wrote:
Yes, it would be insufficient. Instead of basing it on any votes at all, let's give this idea a whirl:

A moderated code bank would have sub-par submissions removed; thus, we could just display the new submissions that remain... as those would all be of reasonable quality. Also, this would have an advantage over a simple quality rank in that it would display more diverse rotating content instead of the "top picks" all the time. This would also require an approval system for the code bank, though, in order for it to be effective.

Surely great idea, but increasing work-load of the adminsSmile Also it would mean that amogst the admins, there would have to be at least one skilled coder per language, which there probably is already for the common languages, C++,php,perl,python, but how about ruby, assembly etc. ?

<yaragn> *THAT'S* Perl

Edited by clone4 on 22-10-08 17:28
clone_4@hotmail.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-10-08 17:51
clone4 wrote:
You could always base it just on mods rating, but then you ignore opinion of skilled coders who are not mods or admins...

... which basically refutes the idea? Pfft

clone4 wrote:
Surely great idea, but increasing work-load of the adminsSmile Also it would mean that amogst the admins, there would have to be at least one skilled coder per language, which there probably is already for the common languages, C++,php,perl,python, but how about ruby, assembly etc. ?

Not really... it would take about 15-30 minutes to approve or disapprove code submissions. That time could be reserved for a once-a-week thing, if we're absolutely pressed for time.

As for the skilled coder bit, you don't need someone that is skilled at coding in the language. You simply need someone that is adept at reading code: THAT is universal among proficient coders. I don't know the majority of the languages in the code bank's current categories beyond an amateur level (I'm only excluding HTML/JS and PHP), but I was able to read the code and figure out what it was doing. Even code with syntax errors is valuable when the overall concept is good, so this is negligible.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 22-10-08 22:21
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
Not really... it would take about 15-30 minutes to approve or disapprove code submissions. That time could be reserved for a once-a-week thing, if we're absolutely pressed for time.

As for the skilled coder bit, you don't need someone that is skilled at coding in the language. You simply need someone that is adept at reading code: THAT is universal among proficient coders. I don't know the majority of the languages in the code bank's current categories beyond an amateur level (I'm only excluding HTML/JS and PHP), but I was able to read the code and figure out what it was doing. Even code with syntax errors is valuable when the overall concept is good, so this is negligible.

I think you are right about the timing, but as far as coding, I think it would be better to find someone that can code in a few languages, then just make sure you have most of them covered, then the other smaller ones can be checked in the manner you suggested.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-10-08 01:10
yours31f wrote:
I think you are right about the timing, but as far as coding, I think it would be better to find someone that can code in a few languages, then just make sure you have most of them covered, then the other smaller ones can be checked in the manner you suggested.

Provide an argument for your point, or it means nothing. Saying you think something would be better than something else is an opinion that lacks any weight. If it lacks any weight, it doesn't belong in this thread... this thread is for real solutions and suggestions that are intelligent and thought-out.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 23-10-08 03:10
Ok here is what i feel needs to be done.

I feel we need to first clear the forums of useless topics. Also get rid of the ones that have five or six over the exact same topic with the same content. There is no use in that. Second, we should clear the articles, and maybe rethink the challenge points. Then go to the code bank and clear out the codes that either don't work, or are not of the desired quality. Then work on better moderation of the new topics and threads (which seems to actually be happening already). Once these are completed, we should make the site more active. For example, Update the home page every other day-once a week, but once every month or two is just too long. Maybe get the IRC back working, and get the thing where if you don't log in within a certain amount of time, the account is deleted. That way we don't have the names that new members want, squatted (not that it's a big issue, but saying the site has 40,000 members but only 200 are active is kinda messed up). Once these changes are completed, If we keep it up, the site should be user friendly and more attractive to the new user. Oh, and 1 idea I had was make it so when you try to make a mentor request, you have to read sqyware's article, before you can post. Then some of the mentor request will be half decent.

Please reply to what you think is plausible. And please note I do not expect any of this any time soon but, I think HBH is ready for a change.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-10-08 03:31
yours31f wrote:
Translation
1. clean up forums / redundancy
2. clean up articles
3. clean up code bank
4. moderate
5. IRC
6. account deleted on inactivity
7. mentor requests
8. time for a change

1. Good luck... at 96,000 forum posts total and assuming even as little as 30 posts per, you're looking at over 3,000 threads to cover. Well, get on it.
2. In negotiation.
3. Awaiting rights.
4. Already happening / in negotiation.
5. Don't care.
6. Has no bearing.
7. Fine with me... not a priority.
8. ... You wouldn't know. You've never seen it any different than this.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 23-10-08 03:45
Zephyr_Pure wrote:
1. Good luck... at 96,000 forum posts total and assuming even as little as 30 posts per, you're looking at over 3,000 threads to cover. Well, get on it.
2. In negotiation.
3. Awaiting rights.
4. Already happening / in negotiation.
5. Don't care.
6. Has no bearing.
7. Fine with me... not a priority.
8. ... You wouldn't know. You've never seen it any different than this.

1) I know this would take alot of time and effort.
2) I know.
3) "
4) "
5)The only reason I brought this up would be user activity. I believe it would make it more "alive" here.
6) Not a big issue overall
7)Agreed
8) No but, I can tell when it's time for a change.

EDIT: and i am starting to see this community from a different prospective.

Edited by yours31f on 23-10-08 03:45
Author

spyware

God
Posted on 23-10-08 14:33
The only reason why HBH would need IRC is encrypted traffic. I believe Richo always loves to help out with this... in fact..

* You are now talking on #hbh
* Topic for this channel: HellBoundHackers

<Spyware> Hiya #HBH Smile

For the people who want to know where this is happening: join psychotik.ath.cx:6697, enable SSL. See you there.

Oh, and yours31f, stop saying "I know", and not supplying some valid argument alongside with that ridiculous comment. I'm getting tired of you thinking it's just a path with trash in the way. It's actually trash with a path through it. Think zombies, swamps and scary music stuff.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
[/s
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 23-10-08 15:21
Well I have received a reasonable amount of PM's about my comment of removing old account's. I can see how this could be an issue. The "system" we have now should suffice, as it never was a big issue; However, I would like to clarify that the time frame I was talking about was, Maybe inactive for over a year or so. In two PM's even this would be an issue, So I respectfully withdraw that idea.

Page 6 of 12 << < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > >>