Follow us on Twitter!
You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself. - Galileo
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 77
Guests Online: 76
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82803
Newest Member: Tired_of_being_ignorant
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Webmasters Lounge

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-12-09 22:27
Erm, well a reasonable amount of html is needed, nothing to good, just enough that you could make the pages statically.

Then php, if you made a guestbook in php then thats sounds good. All you need is a starting point I guess?
Make the page in html, just put in dummy content. Then you can think about putting in php to make it dynamic.


Author

RE: First website ideas

NotMyFault
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 68
Location:
Joined: 23.12.09
Rank:
Newbie
Posted on 29-12-09 22:38
Sounds good.
Any ideas for images and that, I don't have any image/photo editor so I would have trouble making my own. Any ideas on some open source ones but I suppose if I'm getting Linux I'll be able to get one through that...
Is there a image editor built into Linux???


Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-12-09 22:42
You would be hard pushed to find a gui linux distribution without gimp already installed! I made the images on my website, and my sig in gimp, and I'm sure much of the sigs' on this site are made in gimp( it runs on windows too and is completely free).

I implore you to try linux, burn a live cd. boot your pc with it when your dad isn't home if you have to! You're about to enter a new era of computing( I'm excited can you tell?).




Edited by on 29-12-09 22:44
Author

RE: First website ideas

NotMyFault
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 68
Location:
Joined: 23.12.09
Rank:
Newbie
Posted on 29-12-09 22:49
It must be good!!!
I would burn it on a cd and try it out but with an average laptop and by far the worst os IN THE WORLD (vista, I swear, I'd prefer MS-DOS!!!) I can't...
Dad's the admin and you even need admin clearence to run notepad++ for crying out loud!!!


Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-12-09 23:00
rememebr now, linux is not an add on to windows, it's a completely different beast.

Has he passworded the bios? I guess not ( I hope not!) then you're good to go with a live cd Grin You put it in your laptop and power it on, you may have to tell it to boot form the cd, (boot menu or boot priority in the bios) and then just go to boot form disc, it'll be quiet slow about 50% slower than installed ( thats the number usually quoted but I don't know how true it is. just think much much slower)

I haven't watched the whole thing but here a youtube video of someone downloading, burning and booting from a ubuntu live cd, cool music too.

to re-iterate, You don't need to go touch windows or even the hard drive to try out linux.

also heres me with some ubuntu eye candy.




Edited by on 29-12-09 23:01
Author

RE: First website ideas

NotMyFault
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 68
Location:
Joined: 23.12.09
Rank:
Newbie
Posted on 29-12-09 23:06
bios.....?
Sometimes you need a p/w for starting cds but not always.
My dad knows this computer security expert (sets up networks and does pen-testing too I think... Pretty cool guy actually) I'll just get him to explain to my dad about Linux.
GIMP graphics look good too btw!
thanks for all your help man


Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 29-12-09 23:20
np, bios is what makes that stuff splash on your computer then scroll by before you see the windows laoding screen,


Author

RE: First website ideas

SET
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 380
Location: 0
Joined: 22.02.07
Rank:
Moderate
Posted on 30-12-09 06:50
First off...WAMP or Apache .... there the same thing
there is WAMP and LAMP....
WAMP- Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP
LAMP - Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP

WAMP is just a phrase to represent a work environment just like LAMP

Next Flex...No No No. Flex is Flash... whats the difference its how the program is setup. Flex is a environment meant for more business apps, while flash for more designers.

AJAX is wonderful a matter of fact i left a post with a simple ajax lib i made in http://www.hellbo. . .304#142950

Also while MySQL is nice you really should focus on Oracle since its the main SQL used in the corporate world.


arcset.com/imgs/Comp 1_4.gif
ARCSET.com
Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 30-12-09 13:25
wolfmankurd wrote:
You know I get the feeling you know less about making website then you let on.

This is the defining statement in the thread, and I concur.

SET wrote:
First off...WAMP or Apache .... there the same thing

... No, they're not. As you tried to say, WAMP/LAMP is a collection of tools that are commonly deployed in unison. Apache is only one part of that.

SET wrote:
AJAX is wonderful a matter of fact i left a post with a simple ajax lib i made in http://www.hellbo. . .304#142950

Very nice small lib, btw. However, the OP is obviously not ready to indulge in AJAX or anything in JS beyond the absolute basics because, ultimately, his PHP and MySQL skills will have to improve.

SET wrote:
Also while MySQL is nice you really should focus on Oracle since its the main SQL used in the corporate world.

Please put the pipe down before replying. I'm not sure where you got this bit of information in relation to PHP web programming, but it's terribly wrong. MySQL is packaged in WAMP/LAMP for a reason. If anything, PostgreSQL would be a close second. Then SQL Server. Then maybe Oracle or DB2 or something.

... and, yes, before you reply: I'm speaking about web development in the corporate world.

OP:
Start basic. A blog is a good place to start because it's simple, but it allows you to develop functionality that teaches useful skills. Then, after you build the blog, build a CMS to control it. At that point, you'll have a better idea of what you want to do, or you can just pop back in here and try again. Smile


Author

RE: First website ideas

SET
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 380
Location: 0
Joined: 22.02.07
Rank:
Moderate
Posted on 31-12-09 00:40
SET wrote:
Also while MySQL is nice you really should focus on Oracle since its the main SQL used in the corporate world.

define wrote:
Please put the pipe down before replying. I'm not sure where you got this bit of information in relation to PHP web programming, but it's terribly wrong. MySQL is packaged in WAMP/LAMP for a reason. If anything, PostgreSQL would be a close second. Then SQL Server. Then maybe Oracle or DB2 or something.



I hate stupid people Cough* Cough* define

Market Share Of Rational Database Management Systems for 2006
Oracle 47%
IBM 21%
Microsoft 17%
http://www.gartne. . .?id=507466

yes yes i know its old but the new 2009 report came out but its still being sold not given out free if you wanna buy it ...its here
http://my.gartner. . .18712&ref=

and here is what oracle says... about the 2009 report
http://www.oracle. . .abase.html



define wrote:
Very nice small lib, btw. However, the OP is obviously not ready to indulge in AJAX or anything in JS beyond the absolute basics because, ultimately, his PHP and MySQL skills will have to improve.


What does PHP and MySQL have to do with ajax..... Do you even know what your talking about.....

SET wrote:
First off...WAMP or Apache .... there the same thing

define wrote:
... No, they're not. As you tried to say, WAMP/LAMP is a collection of tools that are commonly deployed in unison. Apache is only one part of that.


......YAY for repeating me. douche


arcset.com/imgs/Comp 1_4.gif
ARCSET.com
Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 31-12-09 00:50
FLAME WAR!

I have to admit when he said WAMPserver it didn't click he meant windows,apache,mysql,php. I just assumed it was a new http server I'd not heard of.

I'd also have to agree though, if you can't use php and mysql then you have no business going near ajax. they have nothing to do with each other, nor has dancing and walking, but you certainly should learn to walk before you learn to dance.

Mysql vs oracle, I'd have to also side with mysql. Learning to use mysql is more useful outside the corporate sector and puts you in good stead to learning to use oracle.




Edited by on 31-12-09 00:52
Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 31-12-09 02:18
SET wrote:
I hate stupid people Cough* Cough* define

Market Share Of Rational Database Management Systems for 2006
http://www.gartne. . .?id=507466

yes yes i know its old but the new 2009 report came out but its still being sold not given out free if you wanna buy it ...its here
http://my.gartner. . .18712&ref=

and here is what oracle says... about the 2009 report
http://www.oracle. . .abase.html

There's a reason my name is define, SET. Whenever you have time, feel free to define "market share" and "revenue" since, if you had done that prior to replying, you would realize that those reports only consider commercial software packages.

Also, please note the line that I placed in my previous post (which I have courtesy-reposted below) prior to your response, knowing full well that you would ignore it because you are desperate to be heard.

define wrote:
... and, yes, before you reply: I'm speaking about web development in the corporate world.



SET wrote:
What does PHP and MySQL have to do with ajax..... Do you even know what your talking about.....

No, I do not know that AJAX is a client-side implementation of Javascript that performs asynchronous calls to server-side scripts to avoid a page refresh for a seamless user experience. While you're at it, define "server-side language" and give a few examples.

SET wrote:
First off...WAMP or Apache .... there the same thing

define wrote:
... No, they're not. As you tried to say, WAMP/LAMP is a collection of tools that are commonly deployed in unison. Apache is only one part of that.

SET wrote:
......YAY for repeating me. douche

... Read, then respond.

My goal was to assist the original poster in not being misled by false or misinterpreted information, as everyone else should be doing when someone requests help. If you wish to continue this, we can. Try to pull relevant links and information in your next argument, though.


Author

RE: First website ideas

SET
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 380
Location: 0
Joined: 22.02.07
Rank:
Moderate
Posted on 31-12-09 03:55
Define

See Problem with you is you shoot of random statements like MySQL is used more in corp web dev......but you don't show any proof i am wrong....I show you market share and you show me nothing... Oracle will get you a job in a corp MySQL will get you a job in a small home town web company. I mean its not like i work for a fortune 500 company or anything(sarcasm).

MySQL great for the small websites but major companies tell you the SQL database your using and most of the 500 use oracle.

Also Ajax doesn't have to grab from a server side language...but i guess its ok for you to tell people that to make people think they do.....with ajax i could just call HTML like defineIsAIdiot.htm. Unless you believe HTML is server side Language???? Naaa no way your that slow...

So Define before you think you can go one on one with me get some experience in the real world with real situations instead of making up your own facts


arcset.com/imgs/Comp 1_4.gif


Edited by SET on 31-12-09 03:58
ARCSET.com
Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 31-12-09 04:22
SET wrote:
See Problem with you is you shoot of random statements like MySQL is used more in corp web dev......but you don't show any proof i am wrong....I show you market share and you show me nothing...

I discredited your "market share". Read above.

SET wrote:
Oracle will get you a job in a corp MySQL will get you a job in a small home town web company. I mean its not like i work for a fortune 500 company or anything(sarcasm).

MySQL great for the small websites but major companies tell you the SQL database your using and most of the 500 use oracle.

Okay. What do you do at this Fortune 500 company?

... Have you used MySQL? Have you ever built an enterprise-level web site with a MySQL backend? Since you love to talk about you, I'll just ask a bunch of questions.

SET wrote:
Also Ajax doesn't have to grab from a server side language...but i guess its ok for you to tell people that to make people think they do.....with ajax i could just call HTML like defineIsAIdiot.htm. Unless you believe HTML is server side Language???? Naaa no way your that slow...

Do YOU use AJAX to call HTML files? If so, why? What is AJAX most commonly used for?

When you reached a bit to say the "html is server side language, eh?" comment, is that signifying that you have nothing worthwhile to add? Anyone can flame, but can you contribute?

SET wrote:
So Define before you think you can go one on one with me get some experience in the real world with real situations instead of making up your own facts

If I had a choice between "making up facts" and reading everything with my head up my ass, I'd obviously choose the first. Unfortunately, until you figure out how to read my previous posts in their entirety, you are doomed to the second. Your hollow jabs mean nothing.


Author

RE: First website ideas

SET
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 380
Location: 0
Joined: 22.02.07
Rank:
Moderate
Posted on 31-12-09 05:50
Define ....what have you contributed....all you do is come in here say other people are wrong and still you show no proof

define wrote:
Whenever you have time, feel free to define "market share" and "revenue" since, if you had done that prior to replying, you would realize that those reports only consider commercial software packages.


....Thats not disproving anything. Thats you just talking to talk....I provided links to show that the major Corporations...Notice Corporations....aka Fortune 500 Companies use Oracle for the database needs including Web Dev. Now you can reply back and say "no it doesnt" all you like but i provided Gartner Reports and you provided nothing. The OP wanted to know what to learn and i gave my opinion of what the Corp world wanted.

SET wrote:
What does PHP and MySQL have to do with ajax..... Do you even know what your talking about.....

define wrote:
No, I do not know that AJAX is a client-side implementation of Javascript that performs asynchronous calls to server-side scripts to avoid a page refresh for a seamless user experience. While you're at it, define "server-side language" and give a few examples.

SET wrote:
Ajax doesn't have to grab from a server side language...but i guess its ok for you to tell people that to make people think they do.....with ajax i could just call HTML

define wrote:
Do YOU use AJAX to call HTML files? If so, why? What is AJAX most commonly used for?


Ok ok you see this is called retarded...when you say one thing and then when i show you its not just server side you then try to change the foolishness of your question. I showed you it didn't need to be just server side.

When you say false facts like
AJAX is a client-side implementation of Javascript that performs asynchronous calls to server-side scripts
and then expect me to just sit back and watch you spill crap out you mouth and pass it off for intelligence....then your wrong. Get over it...you didnt know what you were talking about ....CASE CLOSED


arcset.com/imgs/Comp 1_4.gif


Edited by SET on 31-12-09 06:15
ARCSET.com
Author

RE: First website ideas

ynori7
Member



Posts: 1486
Location: #valhalla
Joined: 08.10.07
Rank:
God
Posted on 31-12-09 06:10
Stay civil guys.


halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 31-12-09 06:25
ynori7 wrote:
Stay civil SET, please.


There, corrected you, for free!

Also, Oracle = cashgrab. You've heard it here first.


Author

RE: First website ideas


Member

Your avatar

Posts:
Location:
Joined: 01.01.70
Rank:
Guest
Posted on 31-12-09 12:22
Alright, this is obviously going to get nowhere when I attempt to go back and forth with you, but you're not comprehending what I'm saying or inferring in the first place. For you and the other people reading this thread that can't understand it, too, here's a series of Sesame Street explanations.

1. Market share shows a commercial package's presence in a market, yes. Commercial. Paid. Other than the few thousands of people that actually pay for support on MySQL, no one pays for MySQL. Thus, MySQL does not show up on a market share report.

2. There are two types of market share: market share by revenue and market share by units sold. You provided links for market share by revenue; those links say that Oracle is getting the most MONEY out of the market, not that more people use Oracle than anything. The only entity that truly cares about Oracle's market share by revenue is Oracle, because it gives no useful information to anyone seriously considering Oracle as an option.

Go ask one of your financial people at your big Fortune 500 company to explain this to you, or feel free to brush up on essential knowledge here.

Let's cover this link that you originally posted to show the market share, since the other link just shows Oracle and not its competitors. Oracle is around 45-50% share by revenue (we'll say 50%), IBM is around 20%, and Microsoft is around 15%. Market share by revenue... so, those percentages are how much of the RDBMS money each made. Still following? Good.

Would you say that Oracle is at least 3 times the cost of SQL Server?

With Oracle at 50% and Microsoft at 15%, if Oracle happened to be 3 times the cost of SQL Server, then both companies would have equal market share by units sold because Microsoft's market share by revenue is 1/3rd of Oracle's. I know that probably confused you, so I'm going to break it down further:

You're selling solid gold oranges, and I'm just peddling the regular orange fruit. You sell yours for $20 each, and I sell mine for $1 each. Our market share by revenue, at the end of the year, shows that you earned 60% of the $200 revenue for that market. You sold 6 of your item. I sold 80 of mine.

Here's a cost comparison from 2005 (I believe), between SQL Server and Oracle:
http://www.mssqlc. . .htm#part_4

If you need any more tutoring on business or financial sense, you can message me privately.

3. Yes, AJAX does not have to grab from a server-side language. It can perform a request to a file that does nothing, but contains formatted text or HTML/XML or what-have-you.

The point is this: Though it can do that, is that what you'd normally use AJAX for? I've been using AJAX for at least 3 years now, and I can honestly count the number of times I have requested something OTHER than a PHP script on one hand. It's simply not as useful as requesting a server-side script. Of course, you're going to completely screw up your first attempt at reading this, so let's drop back down to the kindergarten scenario:

I buy a pocket knife and start talking about how handy it is when opening packages and so on. You respond by saying that pocket knives can also be used for poking holes in furniture cushions and maiming small puppies, and then ask me if I am dumb enough to think that maiming small puppies and opening packages are related.

Yeah, read it again, then read what you typed about HTML and server-side previously. You looked REALLY ignorant when you typed that. What you should have done is simply specified that the definition I provided was inaccurate, and then corrected it.

If you want to continue attacking me, that's fine. I'm having a conversation, and you're welcome to continue participating in it... provided you actually take the time to read my responses.




Edited by on 31-12-09 12:27
Author

RE: First website ideas

fashizzlepop
Member



Posts: 482
Location: Old folks home.
Joined: 08.04.08
Rank:
Moderate
Posted on 31-12-09 12:55
I say kudos to Zeph. Actually thoroughly explaining and making sure his facts are %100 (or at least as close as he can get) and also for explaining it easy. Everyone should understand this.

PS. Welcome back Zeph, hope you get to stay a while. I always enjoyed your posts.


"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
~Albert Einstein~


csullivan.codeinspire.net/images/boomsig2.png
fashizzlepop@gmail.com http://csullivan.codeinspire.net/
Author

RE: First website ideas

NotMyFault
Member

Your avatar

Posts: 68
Location:
Joined: 23.12.09
Rank:
Newbie
Posted on 31-12-09 21:04
ok, I've started on a website. Very basic at the minute... It will have a Guestbook, A news section (not sure what to put in that), A blog section and the homepage. I'll expand it when I've finished those pages to include a comment section on the blog and possibly some type of a member system.
I've decided to go with MySQL simply because of the vast amount of resources and tutorials compared to Oracle. It's also free!
I've finished the Homepage and the blog and I'm going to start learning MySQL now so I can start on my guestbook.
Thanks for all yere help and I'll be posting the web adress up here as soon as it's finished.

[edit]I downloaded wampserver and I'm having some problems...
anyone I can PM about it? thanks! Also, the small bit of the website that I have up is here: http://notmyfault. . .[/edit]




Edited by NotMyFault on 01-01-10 00:28
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >