Follow us on Twitter!
Your life is ending one minute at a time. If you were to die tomorrow, what would you do today?
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 16
Guests Online: 15
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82889
Newest Member: Geriztul
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Webmasters Lounge

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Author

RE: First website ideas

Your avatar

Posted on 01-01-10 03:30
Yes, feel free to PM me. You can also PM any questions you have regarding PHP or MySQL.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 01-01-10 03:31
looking good!

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 01-01-10 19:04
ok, wampserver up and running and the guestbook is made (with a lot of help from w3schools and a tutorial Grin) It's on localhost until it's bulletproof but I've found two problems...

1)It says that (in Firefox v.3) "The connection was reset.
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." And in IE v.8 it says that it couldn't connect. It couldn't connect...? to a local host??? I'm not that good with this (yet!) but that's not right is it?

2)When I want to put this online (notmyfault.t35.com) What will I do with the database?

Thanks

Author

Futility

God
Posted on 01-01-10 19:11
NotMyFault wrote:
1)It says that (in Firefox v.3) "The connection was reset.
The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading." And in IE v.8 it says that it couldn't connect. It couldn't connect...? to a local host??? I'm not that good with this (yet!) but that's not right is it?

2)When I want to put this online (notmyfault.t35.com) What will I do with the database?

Thanks

1) Does this error only appear on your site? Because I get that message when my laptop loses it's wireless connection. Sometimes I just have to refresh the page a couple times. If it is just your site, then something's timing out. Check to make sure you're connecting to the right thing or that there's something for you to connect to. (i.e. you misspelled the database name or even threw in an infinite loop somewhere critical.)

2) I don't know about t35, but a crapload of free hosts provide (minimal) free SQL services. There should be an option on the control panel. I think.

i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/zanimabean/Zim.png
Futility91@hotmail.com Futility91
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 01-01-10 20:26
Also, double check your port configuration and which port your connecting to. I know it sounds like a dumb mistake nobody would ever make, but I hang out in a few tech support IRC channels and you would be surprised how many people make that mistake.

Oh, and since this is windows. Double check you don't have a firewall blocking the port. Try disabling your local machines firewall(s) and connecting. If it works then your firewall is messing stuff up.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .

Edited by stealth- on 01-01-10 20:28
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 01-01-10 20:47
You're not giving an all too accurate description of what's going on.
If you just typed localhost in the address bar then I don't think that you need to fuck about with firewalls and such, it shouldn't be needed if you've granted wamp access to the net. I suggest checking your apache logs to see if your request is even getting to the server or not. If it isn't, then you know that you can't even access it, otherwise it's probably a script that's stuck somewhere such as what Futility mentioned.

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 01-01-10 21:14
It's all local so why would the firewall have anything to do with it?
I'd say it could be a problem with my code somewhere. It was very dodgy with loads of guesswork and a tutorial!
Would someone mind explaining how I could get RSS feeds to pull news from other sites so I could display it on my News section without having to find stuff myself? From what I know it involves XML...?
Any thoughts on what I could do once I've finished the guestbook and the News sections?
Thanks again

Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 01-01-10 21:33
NotMyFault wrote:
It's all local so why would the firewall have anything to do with it?
I'd say it could be a problem with my code somewhere. It was very dodgy with loads of guesswork and a tutorial!
Would someone mind explaining how I could get RSS feeds to pull news from other sites so I could display it on my News section without having to find stuff myself? From what I know it involves XML...?
Any thoughts on what I could do once I've finished the guestbook and the News sections?
Thanks again

There are quite a few security apps that filter the loopback interface, actually.......
As for putting RSS feeds on your site you would probably use a XML parser class in PHP then just print to the page whatever your script finds necessary.

This class looks usable: http://www.phpcla. . ./9235.html

Although I'm no PHP expert so there might be another, better, way to do that.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .

Edited by stealth- on 01-01-10 21:34
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 01-01-10 21:43
As said, check apache logs to see if your request even reaches the server for processing or not so you at least get a general idea of where the problem lies. Also, just to cover the idiot base with the simple questions: have you even started the server? Without any problems at startup might I add. Oh yeah, there should be logs for startup errors as well, might want to check just to make sure.

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 03-01-10 12:12
I think I bit of a bit more than I could chew with the guestbook database thing, so I decided to just make it with a plain text file and append it with the user data. 2 problems I have (again) with it though...

1) I don't want javascript injected into it so how effective is the htmlentities function? Is there any better alternatives (apart from all posts being emailed to me and me checking each one individually) that would stop all possible injections?

2)How can I style the guestbook input to fit in with the rest of my site? Would I have to make a class in my stylesheet and put all the input into the class?

Thanks again!!!

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 03-01-10 12:27
Thanks, but I think I'll stick to the .txt file for the minute. I'm still fairly new and I think trying to create a database, store the info in it, write it to the page and try to stop SQL injections and things like that would be a bit too challenging and I'd probarbly just give up after a day or two! I'm not even sure if my web host supports sql for free accounts.
Thanks again

Author

SET

Your avatar

Moderate
Posted on 03-01-10 16:38
Database is alot easier then you might believe. Just use the MyPHPAdmin that comes with WAMP. Also for the php part you should torrent PHP Designer 2008....Great way to learn.

arcset.com/imgs/Comp 1_4.gif
ARCSET.com
Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 03-01-10 20:23
I suppose I could use a database. It would work on a local server but I don't think t35 support it for their free accounts.
Notepad++ Does all that syntax highlighting and stuff. Doesn't do the debugging though. I might get it, I'll see...

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 03-01-10 21:09
MoshBat wrote:
And for debugging. Have you ever heard of error reporting?

Or the FirePHP extension for Firefox. Requires you to install the Firebug extension, which is handy to have in web development, anyways.

Also, if you use error_reporting, be sure to turn it off when you move your files from your local machine to your free host account.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 03-01-10 21:26
MoshBat wrote:
Most servers have error reporting off. Mostly, it's done in php.ini... But seriously, who ever uses
Code
error_reporting(E_ALL);

anywhere but the ini file?

Depends... Where did you use it in your first few weeks of knowing PHP? :)

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 03-01-10 23:08
ok 2 problems (always 2 with me...)

1) in IE v.8 the dotted outlines will stay there no matter what I do! They aren't there in firefox because of outline:none; in my stylesheet but that won't work for IE.

2)In Firefox, it won't take h3{color:0FF00;} from my external stylesheet but it will in IE. In Firefox it will only take inline styles for some reason...
Also, How can I style the guestbook input?

Thanks

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 03-01-10 23:57
As far as the guestbook input, Just set the
Code

.guestbook{
background-color:00;
color:f0;
}

<input type="text" class="guestbook">
<textarea class="guestbook"></textarea>

Both will have a black backgound and green text.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-01-10 00:17
Alright, couple of opinions on the CSS here...

The style is "border", not "outline". It would look like this:
Code
border: none;

... or, if you're doing a 2px gray border, you'd do this for the shorthand:
Code
border: 2px #ccc solid;

Note that shorthand color declarations must have 3 hex characters preceded by a # (like #fff for white, 000 for black, #ccc for gray, etc.). Normally, you'd probably have to specify the color with a 6 hex character code, preceded by #. The only time you'd use the shorthand is if you have duplicated characters in each hex character (basically, something like #ff0022 could be shortened to #f02).

Apparently, HBH has a problem with # and 0 put together, so I edited to make it more readable.

Edited by on 04-01-10 00:21
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 04-01-10 00:52
MoshBat wrote:
Outline is perfectly valid CSS. If memory serves, the difference between the two is outline doesn't take up any space, or something like that.

Well, look at that... There is an outline property. I stand corrected. Went ahead and read up on it a bit: http://css-tricks. . .d-outline/

I generally use a CSS reset before I add styles, so that's probably why I've never fooled with it. And, yes, the outline appears to not be part of the box model, while border is (added to width and height of a container).

MoshBat wrote:
And I personally don't like using short colours, mostly because at some point, I'm likely to want to knock the colour down a shade or two, so it actually ends up saving me time.

This is probably a matter of taste. I've known people that specialize in CSS and never use shorthand colors. I use them religiously.

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 04-01-10 15:38
I think I'll just forget about IE... It's so awkward!
I got the guestbook working in part but a few problems once again!

1) I'm trying to assign an id to each name and comment and name but I have no idea how to...

2) When I get the id thing working how would I be able to arrange the comments and names like this:

| |awful!!! |
_|__________|______________|

You get the idea... So the name, the id and the comment all line up nicely with each other

Thanks again!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >