Follow us on Twitter!
It is never to LATE to become what you never WERE.
Friday, April 25, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 22
Guests Online: 20
Members Online: 2

Registered Members: 82909
Newest Member: awais
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Webmasters Lounge

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Author

First website ideas

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 16:03
ok, I learned HTML/XHTML, CSS, PHP and JavaScript a while ago and I made a couple of websites. Then I got into C++ and gamedev and now I've forgotten a lot of the web based languages!!!

As a long term goal, I would like to start developing websites for business and the like but I need some experience of creating websites again so I can remember all the stuff I used to know.

So the point of this thread is for someone to give me an idea for a website that will test my abilities and I will end up with a website I can show to family, friends and others and will showcase my ablities. So if someone can give me an idea as to what it should be about (Hacking, Programming, whatever), what it should include (login, cookies, guestbook, etc) and what languages I should learn to help me out in general (ajax??, XML?? i also heard flex was good...) . Thanks for your help,
Conor

[edit]On a side note, which is better/easier to use, Wampserver or Apache? What home hosting program would you reccomend? I'm not looking to host of it, just for learning about databases, re-learning PHP and general practice... Thanks again! [/edit]

Edited by NotMyFault on 29-12-09 16:57
Author

RE: First website ideas

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 17:43
I'd suggest apache, I think you should just make a semi-blog style website. Here's mine and the server I run it on.

Do you run linux? If so just install apache, mysql and php on there and there you go a somewhere to build your website and learn.

If you don't run linux but don't need your website on 24/7 then just dual boot and do your work in linux. Running your own server gives you a lot of options and is free!

And even if you don't want to touch linux! You can get apache php and mysql binaries for windows.

Edited by on 29-12-09 17:48
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 18:51
Sort of off topic.

But, wolfmankurd, your server set up is bad ass. I personally dont know if I would do such a thing, as it seems rather messy, its still awesome.

Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 29-12-09 18:58
Yeah that's a sweet setup Grin
Makes me want to do the same, although I don't think my mom would be okay with me hauling gallons of oil into my bedroom B)

@OP I agree with wolf, building your own CMS would advertise all of those skills and look professional when showing it off.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .

Edited by stealth- on 29-12-09 19:01
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 19:17
Ok, so how exactly do you dual boot your computer??? I mightn't be able to because I'm not the admin/owner of this computer!!! (my dad's)

So to make a CMS, I'd need to know SQL/MySQL. How do you make a database??!?!?
Sorry, I used to know a fair bit about web developing but I've forgotten it all!!!

From the small bit of google-ing I've done, the cheapest domains are .infos, yeah???
Is there any restrictions on that??
Thanks a lot everyone!!!

Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 29-12-09 19:28
Jesus christ!!!!! Notmyfault, can you *stop* using so much punctuation?!?!?! Thanks!!!!

Okay, now that we've covered that. You sound unfamiliar with linux, and considering you only want it for web development you probably don't want to worry about other linux stuff so I'm going to go ahead and recommend ubuntu. Here is the ubuntu dual boot guide: https://help.ubun. . .wsDualBoot

Although you should double check with your dad, because there could be a issue over that, basically you are installing linux beside windows on the same harddrive.

I'm not sure which domains are the cheapest but there are no restrictions depending on which domain you buy.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.

Edited by stealth- on 29-12-09 19:31
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 19:37
stdio wrote:
Sort of off topic.
But, wolfmankurd, your server set up is bad ass. I personally dont know if I would do such a thing, as it seems rather messy, its still awesome.

stealth- wrote:
Yeah that's a sweet setup Grin
Makes me want to do the same, although I don't think my mom would be okay with me hauling gallons of oil into my bedroom B)

Cheers guys, my solution was to not tell her until she noticed the blisters and greasy smells emanating from my bed room.

Anyways back on topic, as stealth says he may take issue with your doing that but using wubi which is terrifically easy to use, and it essentially installs ubuntu in a file on windows. Smile, but as moshbat would warn/threaten don't lrt it fool you into thinking ubuntu( or for that matter any linux) is in anyway anything to do with windows...

Edited by on 29-12-09 19:49
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 19:56
NotMyFault wrote:
ok, I learned HTML/XHTML, CSS, PHP and JavaScript a while ago and I made a couple of websites. Then I got into C++ and gamedev and now I've forgotten a lot of the web based languages!!!

www.w3schools.com will test you on the essentials of web languages.

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 20:05
The problem with W3schools is that once you've done the tests a few times, as the questions don't change, you learn from your mistakes. I becomes ineffective after a while.

@wolfmankurd: do you use Wubi? It looks really good, I'll read some more about it before I decide to install it. Does it come with apache?

Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 29-12-09 20:09
NotMyFault wrote:
The problem with W3schools is that once you've done the tests a few times, as the questions don't change, you learn from your mistakes. I becomes ineffective after a while.

@wolfmankurd: do you use Wubi? It looks really good, I'll read some more about it before I decide to install it. Does it come with apache?

It's just like linux, but it runs at the same time as windows. So yes, if you can have apache in ubuntu normally, you can have it in wubi Smile

Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 20:36
Wubi looks very good I have to say, I'll ask my dad (admin) to install it soon. People say that it gives them more freedom and stuff, how? I read as well that it has a steep learning curve. What's there to learn?
Thanks for everyones quick responses.
[edit]So Linux aside, For my website, I have a CMS and...
Would a guestbook be good and in the CMS, would that include a login page, a new user with an email script and stuff like that?
Thanks again. [/edit]

Edited by NotMyFault on 29-12-09 20:39
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 21:13
stealth- wrote:
it runs at the same time as windows.

As my understanding is It doesn't run along side windows( if that were the case it'd have terribly bad performance the truth is far from that), what it does is create loopmounted filesystem inside a file on the windows filesystem. Then boots into that, this means you don't have to do anything dangerous like partitioning the hard drive. all you do is is make a large file and edit the boot.ini, well thats all that wubi does.
Then you reboot and do the install form there.

NotMyFault wrote:
Wubi looks very good I have to say, I'll ask my dad (admin) to install it soon. People say that it gives them more freedom and stuff, how? I read as well that it has a steep learning curve. What's there to learn?
Thanks for everyones quick responses.
[edit]So Linux aside, For my website, I have a CMS and...
Would a guestbook be good and in the CMS, would that include a login page, a new user with an email script and stuff like that?
Thanks again. [/edit]

Not wubi it's self. All wubi is is a ubuntu installer.

People always say there is a steep leanring curve but thats simply not true. My mum had xp a problem at least twice a day, she'd need me to install soemthign fix a driver... crashes.... virus... on ubuntu she never asks me for help. It is actually easier. She has no virus', no driver problems, no crashes... it just works ( unlike windows), granted I had to install it for her, but now with wubi anyone could do it.

The hard stuff using the command line (actually very simple) would be much harder if you tried the same on windows.

So the leanring curve is actually shallower, you just start much higher up on it, because you are learning more powerful techniques.

For the CMS, I'd say, start with making a userless system, then add comments, then users. This is only a suggestion because of the pitfalls of trying to do too much at once. Also, if this is your first cms chances are you'll finish the first part and be like wow, what I was doing is stupid, and what to start a fresh. On the other hand if you have a large project, spend hours on it and not have a working system you may get bored and give up.

So maybe, just a system for you to make posts, but this is really just a suggestion. You should make whatever you want, because after all thats who you are making it for!

Edited by on 29-12-09 21:25
Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 21:29
what do you mean by a userless system then adding comments? This would all require some form of SQL yeah?
What's the command line in Ubuntu, from what I've read I think it's like the command prompt in windows. Have I the right idea?
Its not essential to Ubuntu anyways I don't think.

Also, how difficult would it be to create a customisable page for each user?
Could I do that using a mix of PHP and JS?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 21:34
NotMyFault wrote:
what do you mean by a userless system then adding comments? This would all require some form of SQL yeah?
What's the command line in Ubuntu, from what I've read I think it's like the command prompt in windows. Have I the right idea?
Its not essential to Ubuntu anyways I don't think.

Also, how difficult would it be to create a customisable page for each user?
Could I do that using a mix of PHP and JS?

No command line is not essential to ubuntu but is the only reason I could see people thinking linux is more difficult than windows( but you are 100% correct on most linux's you don't even need to touch the command line). It's like the windows one, but much richer and with much more powerful programs. You'll want to use it once you see what it can do.

This is how websites work( not all but lets say typically). Pages are in php, they are processed and produce output (usually html) which is sent out. The php scripts produce dynamic output and can get stuff by interfacing with a mysql database. Such as get the latest 10 news articles and make html where title in a given place and the body else where.

So when you go on hbh, apache running on hbh's fedora linux server reads the index.php file it has php process the file and then sends you the output. It's the php processing thats interesting.

You know I get the feeling you know less about making website then you let on.

Edited by on 29-12-09 21:38
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 29-12-09 21:48
wolfmankurd wrote:
stealth- wrote:
it runs at the same time as windows.

As my understanding is It doesn't run along side windows( if that were the case it'd have terribly bad performance the truth is far from that), what it does is create loopmounted filesystem inside a file on the windows filesystem. Then boots into that, this means you don't have to do anything dangerous like partitioning the hard drive. all you do is is make a large file and edit the boot.ini, well thats all that wubi does.
Then you reboot and do the install form there.

Oh, sorry about that. I thought it was more of a VM type thing. Guess I should shutup if I'm not sure what I'm talking about, lol.

No command line is not essential to ubuntu but is the only reason I could see people thinking linux is more difficult than windows( but you are 100% correct on most linux's you don't even need to touch the command line). It's like the windows one, but much richer and with much more powerful programs. You'll want to use it once you see what it can do.

Not true, at all. I can name *many* situations where the command line is imperative. One perfect example would be the installation of gentoo. You need to boot into a livecd and manually (using the command line) install the distrobution. There is little, if any, GUI involved in the process.

Although with ubuntu it's not like that. I was just pointing out other distributions don't craddle you nearly as much.

Edited by stealth- on 29-12-09 21:50
Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 21:49
I know a fair bit (In my opinion)!
I've got over 85% in all the tests on W3schools in the languages I mentioned above, Maybe it's not giving an accurate idea of what I know;
In js, I can do image rollovers, display a clock, find the visitors browser and some the basics, in PHP I can process logins, make a guestbook using PHP and a .txt file and most of the basics.
I have to learn PHP sessions and SQL and cookies in PHP/JS but I think I'm competent enough with them both...

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 21:52
Yeah and if he did a server install he'd never have a gui at all. My point most linux especially ubuntu as you suggested would not require him to ever touch a command line. Infact apart from gentoo the only other distro I can think of where using the command line is essential is slackware. And I've played with a hell of a lot of distros.

How do you process a login without sql? Do you mean hard coded username/ passwords?

Getting a high score in W3 schools hardly means you know a lot about making websites. I've made a few websites yet I have to look up the css for repeating background images everytime. I could name just about every part of an engine and how it works but I'm far from a machanic/ engineer. Knowing to do something is different from being able to do it.

Edited by on 29-12-09 21:59
Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 22:00
yup as in
<?php
if($_POST[username]=="username" && $_POST[password]=="password"])
echo "page text";
else
echo "invaled or whatever";
?>
Is that what you mean by hard coding? I just don't know any of the correct terms for things!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 22:06
My point exactly, being able to do that hardly quailifies as knowing a lot about websites, but it is a start.

Lol I've just looked at your code and it's not valid anyways.

Edited by on 29-12-09 22:09
Author

NotMyFault

Your avatar

Posted on 29-12-09 22:12
Well what else should I learn?
I had a couple of websites set up to practice with when I was learning something new but when I thought I had done all I could without SQL, I stopped because I didn't think it was that important (how wrong was I!)
Also, all the different versions and needing different software and stuff confused me a bit as I have always coded in plain Notepad so I found it a huge inconvenience.
I found that creating a guestbook without SQL took a lot of effort and I think it shows that I do know a reasonable amount of PHP and general web dev...
anyways

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >