Follow us on Twitter!
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. - Winston Churchill
Wednesday, April 23, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 22
Guests Online: 20
Members Online: 2

Registered Members: 82885
Newest Member: ConiBE
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Author

Downloads, Programs and More

4rm4g3dd0n

Active User
Posted on 29-08-11 20:47
It seems I remember a while back there used to be a downloads section I think it should be brought back also i think that programs that some of us have made should be able to be submitted and if approved be put up for download and that maybe even voted on and have chances to earn CP.

There should also be a "TEST" section where we can take tests on certain security subjects I had seen an admin on a forum wanting to give out stars and awards the stars could be given out on these Tests

Did not mean to post this in mentor forum but..

a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285477_168984629836698_100001754862141_374762_5098511_n.jpg
All I Know Is That I Don't Know Nothing .... Operation Ivy

Edited by Mordak on 06-09-11 01:05
c:/users
Author

RE: Downloads, Programs and More

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 01-09-11 21:16
Eh, I don't know about the downloads section. The idea of hosting random code from a community of hackers, regardless of admin approval or not, seems a little borderline. It was removed originally for a good reason, I would think.

I think a tests section could be fun, though. It would be tough to implement well, but if it was it would be a pretty sweet set of subchallenges.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.
http://www.stealt. . .
http://www.stealth-x.com
Author

chess_rock

Apprentice
Posted on 03-09-11 03:08
stealth- wrote:
Eh, I don't know about the downloads section. The idea of hosting random code from a community of hackers, regardless of admin approval or not, seems a little borderline. It was removed originally for a good reason, I would think.

Unless those softwares we're talking about were open source and programmed by the community Wink
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 03-09-11 05:30
chess_rock wrote:
stealth- wrote:

Unless those softwares we're talking about were open source and programmed by the community Wink

Oh, definitely. If we had something useful in there, an honestly good program that has sufficient use, I could see it being great. On the other hand, I'd be worried about it becoming a clusterfuck of useless half-assed attempts, like the articles section, for instance.

The irony of man's condition is that the deepest need is to be free of the anxiety of death and annihilation; but it is life itself which awakens it, and so we must shrink from being fully alive.

Edited by stealth- on 03-09-11 05:30
Author

4rm4g3dd0n

Active User
Posted on 05-09-11 01:51
the software's would be scanned and checked out by the admins to see if they were worthy of posting to put up or not there need not be points as for opensource there are lots of codes that i would put out there as open source then there are also codes that i would not put out as open source it depends if i have code that is not close to anything that i have ever seen and spent months making it work correctly i would not want to open source it possibly share it with a team and hope it not get leaked then there are codes that i would have no problem putting out for open source like certain crackers trojans and decrypters some of them i would open source some of them i would not I would love to see some open source DES decrypters JTR is the only one worth while as far as i am concerned but that should change

a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/285477_168984629836698_100001754862141_374762_5098511_n.jpg
All I Know Is That I Don't Know Nothing .... Operation Ivy

c:/users
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 05-09-11 10:11
4rm4g3dd0n wrote:
the software's would be scanned and checked out by the admins to see if they were worthy of posting to put up or not there need not be points as for opensource there are lots of codes that i would put out there as open source then there are also codes that i would not put out as open source it depends if i have code that is not close to anything that i have ever seen and spent months making it work correctly i would not want to open source it possibly share it with a team and hope it not get leaked then there are codes that i would have no problem putting out for open source like certain crackers trojans and decrypters some of them i would open source some of them i would not I would love to see some open source DES decrypters JTR is the only one worth while as far as i am concerned but that should change

Get out. Seriously.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 07-09-11 07:28
4rm4g3dd0n wrote:
The software's would be scanned and checked out by the admins to see if they were worthy of posting to put up or not. There need not be points as for open source there are lots of codes that I would put out there as open source, then there are also codes that I would not put out as open source.

It depends if I have code that is not close to anything that I have ever seen and spent months making. If it works correctly I would not want to open source it, possibly share it with a team, and hope it not get leaked then there are codes that I would have no problem putting out for open source like certain crackers, trojans, and decrypters. Some of them I would open source, some of them I would not. I would love to see some open source DES decrypters. JTR is the only one worth while as far as i am concerned but that should change.

That was painful to read, please punctuate. It doesn't take much longer.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

maug2

Posted on 07-09-11 08:12
There's nothing to gain from having a downloads section that can't be achieved from a links section. I wouldn't trust HBH anyways. Not when I could download software from an official source.

Having users post apps is a dumb idea too. There's a source code section. There's no need to host 500 simple remote admin tools, or calculators, or whatever.
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 11-09-11 19:08
maug2 wrote:
There's nothing to gain from having a downloads section that can't be achieved from a links section. I wouldn't trust HBH anyways. Not when I could download software from an official source.

Having users post apps is a dumb idea too. There's a source code section. There's no need to host 500 simple remote admin tools, or calculators, or whatever.

Exactly. The only situation I could see this work were if the HBH downloads section linked directly to the official sources. As for user-designed programs, there would have to be a very high standard for what would be accepted to the downloads page. Such as that HBH gnome-tray app I wrote a while back, something that would be actually useful instead of just a ton of useless half-scripts.

Author

richohealey

Monster
Posted on 13-09-11 04:55
HBH's source section makes little sense anyway, it assumes that either:

You're never going to modify the software again
Or that you're going to login and update it every time.

Linking to sourceforge/github/bitbucket/launchpad/whatever the fuck those creeps darcs folk use is a much better idea IMO because you stand some chance of getting an up to date version, as well as some context about what you're getting yourself into.

bitchohealey at hotmail dot com skype:richohealey www.psych0tik.net
Author

maug2

Posted on 13-09-11 22:42
I could easily come up with well over 50+ improvements that HBH could do for the forum section alone. I think the challenges and IRC are the only functional things left of value. That's not to say that there couldn't or shouldn't be more to HBH.

If anyone gave a shit, they would start by archiving the few good threads here and removing the rest. Same with the users.

Take advantage of the steady inflow of college students with easily mis-placed hopes and dreams. Get them to push this old pento of a site.

tip the cup, feed the fire, and forget about useless fucking hope. - a desolation song, agalloch

Edited by maug2 on 13-09-11 22:44
Author

stealth-

Mad User
Posted on 18-09-11 21:14
maug2 wrote:
I could easily come up with well over 50+ improvements that HBH could do for the forum section alone.

So... say them? I do believe Mordak is looking/taking suggestions for improvement, and if not the community itself should theoretically be able to implement them ourselves when Mordak's developer system in HBHv2 is released.

Author

maug2

Posted on 19-09-11 06:56
Ok. Some of this may be too ambitious for a site this size, but it may be useful in the future. Here it is off the top of my head.

SSH browsing - at least for EM members
A trade section, for give aways and contests with prizes - for old members
Get rid of old threads and sub-forums
BB code for flash/youtube videos
BB code for spoilers or adult content
BB code for super/subscript
BB code for links, not just URL's
BB code for lists, or bullets
Option for http proxy for outgoing links
Option to hide sigs
Option to hide users
Option to not have threads/journals indexed by search engine
Option to not show online status
Option to not mark post as edited if edited within 5 minutes of last post/edit.
Option to block images/flash in sigs or avatars
Option to hide all images/flash in a spoiler BB tag
Encrypted PM's
Option to only accept encrypted PM's
Make backup of forum posts, PM's, and journals every x minutes
User bar at the top, not on the side.
Add "Threads" "Pics" "Journal" and change Private Messages and edit profile to "Messages" and "Profile".
User ratings - 1-5 stars. Then users will be able to tell if someone's a total dumb-ass in even less time
Moderators who specialize in specific sub-forums, and are labeled so
More mods
More users
Jump to first unread post feature, and show first unread in the thread preview
Show thumbnails of posted images, which expand when clicked on.
Option to limit the width/height of images to x number of pixels
HBH Facebook and Twitter feed
Disable editing/deleting posts on old threads. Like 90 days, unless it's by the op or a mod/admin. This is an educational site after all. No need for necrotic threads or sketched out people covering their tracks.
User tags: such as "Trusted Cpp programmer" to be given by the site
Post ID links/numbers, so I can link to the exact post in a thread

Make a real home page. On the home page, display the news and HBH's latest developments, and have links to sections of the site. Possible sections are "Challenges", "Community"(IRC, message board, EM accounts, ), "Learn" (PDF library, and link section, and archived threads/journals, Code bank/links, HBH zen), "About HBH" (List of admins/mods, privacy policy, other policies, intent of use, site map)

It's also possible that users could make money off of HBH. These users could then be the sponsors for the ads, and visitors would know that they are trustworthy vendors. Doesn't matter if it's for web developing and pen testing, or selling computers and hardware, sponsors should go through an interview process to make sure they are trustworthy. No clicking on an ad for a video game and downloading the Zeus Trogan. The supporters will pay for the extra traffic they get, and get a special account.

Get rid of the crap. Archive the few good threads/essays, and only keep the current users. HBH needs a massive reset button to be punched. Cheese kept this around only so he could point out that there were that many users. There still could be for advertising purposes. It's just that if you want to really see what HBH looks like with a bunch of crap, you should have to download a tarball of all that shit.

Oh, and the most important thing: make the site FLOSS open source complaint. I'm betting that otherwise either most of this stuff will never be done, or it will be be buggy and slow and called good enough. Or maybe it will be done, but it will be too buggy and inefficient to be "practical"

Edited by maug2 on 19-09-11 09:01
Author

starofale

Moderate
Posted on 19-09-11 13:50
Before reading the rest of this post, please bear in mind that if I haven't commented on a point it's probably because I think it's a good idea (or I just don't care).

maug2 wrote:
It's good to see you trust HBH enough to want to route your traffic through it.

maug2 wrote:
What kind of things are you thinking people would trade?

maug2 wrote:
BB code for flash/youtube videos
NOOOOOO! If I want to watch YouTube videos, I'll watch them on YouTube. I don't want anything from Google on HBH.

maug2 wrote:
Encrypted PM's
http://www.gnupg.org/ ?

maug2 wrote:
More users
Good luck with that Pfft

maug2 wrote:
HBH Facebook and Twitter feed
As long as no Facebook or Twitter code gets embedded in HBH, this is fine with me.

maug2 wrote:
It's also possible that users could make money off of HBH. ...
I just don't understand what you mean here.

maug2 wrote:
Oh, and the most important thing: make the site FLOSS open source complaint
I'm pretty sure Mordak's said this isn't going to happen.

---
EDIT
maug2 wrote:

This can be done already, although it's not easy to find out the correct post number (unless I'm just missing something).
For example, this post can be linked to with: http://www.hellboundhackers.org/forum/downloads_programs_and_more-4-16379_0.html#post_157098

Try a new search engine

Edited by starofale on 19-09-11 13:53
Author

maug2

Posted on 21-09-11 13:40
starofale wrote:
Before reading the rest of this post, please bear in mind that if I haven't commented on a point it's probably because I think it's a good idea (or I just don't care).

maug2 wrote:
It's good to see you trust HBH enough to want to route your traffic through it.

I guess this could/should be taken care on the user's end. But I've seen websites that offer it.

maug2 wrote:
What kind of things are you thinking people would trade?

Well I've got thumb drives, laptops, computer parts, networking equipment. Lots of antiques donated from doing computer repair. Whatever you've got lying around, I was thinking people could make a list of what they got and/or what they want. This could also work for services.

maug2 wrote:
More users
Good luck with that Pfft

Hey, I was supposed to come up with 50 =P I had to reach a little to make it to 33.

maug2 wrote:
It's also possible that users could make money off of HBH. ...
I just don't understand what you mean here.

Trade lists, and advertising. I guess it would require more traffic and would be out of scope for now.

maug2 wrote:
Oh, and the most important thing: make the site FLOSS open source complaint
I'm pretty sure Mordak's said this isn't going to happen.

Yup, I was there in the IRC one of the times this happened. Still an ok idea imho.

maug2 wrote:

This can be done already, although it's not easy to find out the correct post number (unless I'm just missing something).
For example, this post can be linked to with: http://www.hellboundhackers.org/forum/downloads_programs_and_more-4-16379_0.html#post_157098
[/quote]
Right on. But it would be convenient if there was a link near the post title. Here's an example in the format of one site
"RE: Downloads, Programs and More
#157098(link) - 08/15/11 04:13 PM (1 month, 5 days ago) "

It just makes it really easy to reference for bookmarks and other people.

And I think that embedding flash makes it easier to write a decent article. Especially if you need to break up the article to visually demonstrate what's going on.

tip the cup, feed the fire, and forget about useless fucking hope. - a desolation song, agalloch

Edited by maug2 on 22-09-11 16:07