Latest Articles

View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Hacking in general

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: DoS and name servers

Your avatar

Posted on 22-12-07 20:07
spyware hahhah you crack me up...i like your little Riddle things....i dont know what to call them....but they are very cool
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-12-07 20:07
spyware you must read some load of "positive thinking" books..

yes, taking down the internet is a load of crap, and anyone who wishes to destroy probably mankinds greatest creation in the last 1000 years is to be stopped, but it doesnt take away from the fact that its a fun thing to imagine doing. has no one here honestly thought about theories? has no one honestly not thought "what would i do with a botnet?"...

taking down every nameserver is probably the domain of bad thriller novels full of conspiracy etc. but its still an interesting and challenging thought exercise.. which is what i thought this site was about. providing interesting and challenging thought exercises

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 22-12-07 20:14
I didn't say it wasn't possible, really. It's possible. It's also quite easy. You would need a few tiger teams on Alpha locations. Stop thinking hacks, start thinking pulling out the plug. It's easier to disable a serverNET physically rather than the hacking alternative. You want to disable the Internet? Shatter it's fundamentals, the locations of them are well-known.

Go for it. You need a crew of +/- 400 people, spread across the globe. They need skills, tools, the works.

That's my thought.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce

Edited by spyware on 22-12-07 20:18
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-12-07 21:22
I type what I think, and as far as people liking me? I could care less. Dude, if you haven't realized, we are on the computer. Anyway I brought this up as a hypothetical situation. I DON'T EXPECT ANYONE TO ACTUALLY ATTEMPT IT. Second, If it were to ever happen, what makes you think it would last for a long period of time? It would last maybe 5-10 minutes. Wow, you really need to lighten up. And another thing, you don't know who is on here, you don't know their skills, so yes I'm saying that their are script kiddies in here. Am I? No I'm not, did I used to be? Yes. I was until I realized I wasn't learning anything from it. and that was a few years ago. So back to the original topic, I don't see anything destructive about it. Ok, so the infected part of the internet goes down for a little bit. Not forever. Shit happens, what doesn't die recovers.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-12-07 21:24
jbjoker wrote:
blahblahblah.

Look, buddy.
This isn't a question of my skill vs. anyone elses.

This is a question of whether you're a big enough assfuck to disable a critical portion of the world's functionality.

We're not talking a bunch of computer's down, oh ha-ha, this is so fucking funny, look what we did, tee-hee.

If you do that, people will fucking die.
Critical communication will be crippled.
Some medical personnel won't be able to properly communicate.

If your personal morality can handle the death of innocents, and you can gather a group of enough people who feel the same way, that's cool. Go ahead. Fucking do it.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-12-07 22:28
people survived without the internet, and could do so again.. dont be so dramatic. the non-existence of the internet would be a small blip, but in the long term it would be overcome. dont underestimate human ingenuity.

and to spyware, merely plugging out some 400 servers and routers wouldnt do a lot of damage. the internet is a distributed network, other routers would continue to pass the packets along. The servers would be a major hit, but it would also be impossible to coordinate a mass of break-ins to hundreds of server farms.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-12-07 22:36
shabouwcaw wrote:
people survived without the internet, and could do so again.. dont be so dramatic. the non-existence of the internet would be a small blip, but in the long term it would be overcome.

So what about the short term?
What about the millions that are affected in the initial hit?

Your first sentence shows your ignorance about the critical role of DNS in today's internet.

Look, I hate whenever this topic comes up (which I will repeat to the OP, is NOT anything new or "profound"), because everyone always talks real big about it, but no one ever actually DOES it.

Edited by on 22-12-07 22:39
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-12-07 22:52
im not talking about DOING it, its merely a thought exercise...

in the short term it would be disaster as many systems would stop working. but you can argue any almost any catastrophe into a positive if you think about it.(some exceptions of course)

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-12-07 23:20
So innocent people being PHYSICALLY harmed/dying has a positive aspect?
You can argue whatever you want, but not everyone is going to agree with you.

I'm done talking about this, seeing that no one is going to do it.
Author

bl4ckc4t

Your avatar

Wiseman
Posted on 22-12-07 23:36
Just a simple question, if you took down a DNS server with a DoS, wouldn't it kill your internet also? If thats the case, it would then stop your DoS, in turn making it easy to recover. The only downside would be if the DoS was persistent and didn't die after no internet connection is detected.

Just a question. Kinda crossed my mind when I thought about it.

-Bl4ckC4t

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 22-12-07 23:37
DNS servers don't regulate the internet. They regulate the DNS protocol.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-12-07 06:14
The internet technically wouldn't go down, you could still use the IP address to access the website you choose. And how can millions die within 10 minutes from the internet going down? You seriously must be retarded, either that or there is something I'm missing.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-12-07 13:49
jbjoker wrote:
The internet technically wouldn't go down, you could still use the IP address to access the website you choose. And how can millions die within 10 minutes from the internet going down? You seriously must be retarded, either that or there is something I'm missing.

What you're missing:
Most of the population doesn't have a fucking clue what an IP address is.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 23-12-07 14:58
In my opinion, if we don't think of it they will, and by 'they' I mean any body a whole lot less friendly than us. Isn't that a lot of what this site is about, that understanding security and hacking in general is the only way to make secure programs, servers and websites? So it's better to talk about it now, and fix potential problems, than to remain silent until it happens.

For a distributed DoS attack, it seems very unlikely that even the backbone servers could be disabled. It's not as hard as you think to blacklist ips that are making absurd amounts of traffic. Spoofed ip's can help here, but still...

But for a critical level, zero day DoS exploit, directly against the main servers... Let's just say I believe l0pht when they said half an hour.

Edited by on 23-12-07 15:10
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2