Follow us on Twitter!
One mans freedom fighter, another's terrorist.
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 20
Guests Online: 19
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82889
Newest Member: Geriztul
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Hacking in general

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Author

RE: Converting .SPL to PDF

Your avatar

Posted on 22-09-08 12:57
Chinchilla, that was a touching speech but, really, there are only a few things that need be said here:

First, when we go to answer a question, we shouldn't have to research every concept that an OP introduces. This is not paid help and, if you chose to research Oracle's Sealed PDF technology to understand it, good for you. I don't take the time to research something that will prove of no future use to me. The OP should've taken the bit of extra time it would've taken to specify that it was not a PDF at all and any relevant information about the technology.

Re-read the initial post... he mentions the name of the DRM method, but he does not specify that it is not a PDF format. Following that, it should be understandable that stating that the document can only be opened in IE would not be interpreted with the meaning that it should be. That was the source of my frustration in attempting to help the OP and, following his retort (which was more fueled by his perception of my frustration than it was the source of it), I saw no further reason to help.

Finally, let's address this supposed moral obligation where the poster is attempting to defeat DRM on school books that he had to purchase. As initially stated by the OP, he had the option to buy a "full version" of the book in which he wouldn't have this problem. He chose to spend less money and get the limited version... but, it's not even his choice that is important here. You state it as if we are supposed to respect the fact that he spent the money while pursuing schooling... when, in fact, a number of us have been through college and paid $100+ for each of our books.

You can judge this community however you like and on whatever grounds you like, but it will not change how it operates. Plenty of people find assistance here because they give enough information upfront to have their problem solved. If it didn't work, the community wouldn't have as much cohesion as it does.

So, you just continue to believe that the OP's failed attempt at getting help defines the community. The rest of us will continue to do as we have done for much longer than most of you have been here... and help people as best as we can and as much as they deserve.

We won't even begin to address the dangerous moral ground that cracking the DRM on an educational institution's "ebook" would surely put us on. Nor will I believe as mentioned above that people would rate my articles based upon forum responses... since that would be ignorant if it were the case. People always get the benefit of the doubt here.

Chinchilla3k wrote:
He mentioned that it was a document that is sealed via Oracle's sealer. He mentioned that in order to open it an online license exchange is required. He mentioned that he searched online and the only way to get a permanent unencrypted easily accessible representation of the data is by sending a print job to the printer and pulling the printer spool file while it was being queued onto the printer. He got the spool file.. had searched some more.. and is asking for any _ideas_ anyone has on what approach he could take.

If he had written this, he would've received a great deal more help than he did. Re-read his initial post, then read this again.

Edited by on 22-09-08 13:01
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-09-08 18:41
I didn't want to mention names in the previous post I made. In the end I tried to make it clear that individuals reacted differently than the generalization I made about the community. In the end you had been polite and you didn't make subtle threats nor were you a complete asshole. Why I chose not to separate you from my observation about the community in this thread was your choice of words in one of the later posts you made "..We're tired of you complaining".. in the midst of all the threats it made you appear un-neutral in the dispute.

Zephyr_Pure wrote:
Chinchilla3k wrote:
(1)He mentioned that it was a document that is sealed via Oracle's sealer. (2)He mentioned that in order to open it an online license exchange is required. (3)He mentioned that he searched online and the only way to get a permanent unencrypted easily accessible representation of the data is by sending a print job to the printer and pulling the printer spool file while it was being queued onto the printer. (4)He got the spool file.. had searched some more.. and is asking for any _ideas_ anyone has on what approach he could take.

If he had written this, he would've received a great deal more help than he did. Re-read his initial post, then read this again.

I got all that from the OP's initial post when I read it... I added numbers to link what I understood from what he said and what he really said. I think the only stretch was the "had searched some more" after getting the SPL file. I assumed that based on him taking the time to initially do the research about the DRM.

OP wrote:
... it is (1)protected by Oracle's Sealed PDF, which (2)requires a license to be uploaded thru their servers. Once opened using only IE, it embeds itself into IE and you can not save it, take a pic or print to file. However they will let you print on paper.

(3)I have read around and only vulnerability is when the spdf sends the print job to the printer which lets to capture a .SPL file thru (windoze/system32/spool/printers). Now my question is, (4)is there anyway to convert .SPL to pdf.

(4)Anyone with any ideas ?

Zephyr_Pure wrote:
We won't even begin to address the dangerous moral ground that cracking the DRM on an educational institution's "ebook" would surely put us on.

You are absolutely right about that.. but then it's interesting that attempts at helping were originally made.

I don't like mentioning this but since it was brought up.. I have been here since the beginning.. I was probably one of the first 100 members (if not less) to this website. My _actual_ handle is Chinchilla.. I use alternatives like this one when I can't use Chinchilla. You can see an older account Chinchilla2k and the date of the last visit on that account. Prior to that I had the handle Chinchilla (not the currently registered one) around the time the site came out and Mr.Cheese was advertising it on hts site and IRC... that first account had been banned and apparently subsequently deleted from the db. (since someone who isn't me managed to reregister chinchilla)

I come on a lot more often than I contribute and have done so for a long time. My opinion of this community is not based solely on this thread but all the things I observed while arbitrarily coming on to this website for all that time.

My rating of your article wasn't based on your posts in this thread. I will make comments about your article in the comment section of your article.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 22-09-08 20:20
Chinchilla3k wrote:
Why I chose not to separate you from my observation about the community in this thread was your choice of words in one of the later posts you made "..We're tired of you complaining".. in the midst of all the threats it made you appear un-neutral in the dispute.

I am not a moderator, but I do have a sense for when fights should come to an end and normal forum activity should continue. I spoke the way I did because it did not entreat a response from the OP and it would calm the masses... both of which would leave the thread to die.

Chinchilla3k wrote:
I got all that from the OP's initial post when I read it.

Then I may not have read deep enough into it. It happens.

Zephyr_Pure wrote:
We won't even begin to address the dangerous moral ground that cracking the DRM on an educational institution's "ebook" would surely put us on.

Chinchilla3k wrote:
You are absolutely right about that.. but then it's interesting that attempts at helping were originally made.

To be completely honest, I didn't read the original target of the question. I skim through posts and pick out the relevant parts to compose a solution because, ultimately, I run through a lot of posts in my free time (which is scarce). It wasn't until your mention of how deserving he was of the cracked DRM that I noticed and responded. Help is help, just as hacking is hacking... it's only illegal if you do something illegal with it.

Chinchilla3k wrote:
I don't like mentioning this but since it was brought up.. I have been here since the beginning..

I come on a lot more often than I contribute and have done so for a long time. My opinion of this community is not based solely on this thread but all the things I observed while arbitrarily coming on to this website for all that time.

That statement wasn't directed at you specifically; as is the trend in this thread now, it was directed at the community. So many people feel that we are unnecessarily harsh but, really, that is how we were motivated to progress and contribute as part of the community. That is also how people tend to be when they are underappreciated. Is anyone forcing us to post constructively or negatively at any given time? Nope... we do it because we believe in an ideal. That statement is the only thing I will not argue / discuss any further with anyone.

Chinchilla3k wrote:
My rating of your article wasn't based on your posts in this thread. I will make comments about your article in the comment section of your article.

Thank you. They were the most detailed comments so far.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3