Follow us on Twitter!
The measure of a mans life is not how well he dies, but how well he lives.
Saturday, April 19, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 26
Guests Online: 25
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82832
Newest Member: SerMSYS
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | HellBound Hackers | Comments and Suggestions

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Author

RE: concerning Programming Challenges!

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 10-03-09 21:58
CoughBushCough... I agree. So when could we expect this?

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-03-09 21:59
Yes from me as well. Think it counts to 7 now.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-03-09 23:01
I thought that this was a thread related to my original topic Sad

Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 10-03-09 23:06
Avlid wrote:

One of the admins will apologize for hijacking this, split this thread into yours and the other thing, and then you'll have your thread back.

Not sure if requesting challenges will do much but spark debates though.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

SySTeM

Your avatar

HBH Guru
Posted on 10-03-09 23:08
Avlid wrote:

Heh. Well you basically got your answer; it's unlikely to happen, and has been proposed before.

We just don't have the time.

img138.imageshack.us/img138/6527/sig2ak1.jpg
www.hellboundhackers.org/sig/r/2783.png

http://www.elites0ft.com/
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-03-09 23:08
I think their "discussion" is kind of cute XD
so if they want they can hijack this thread

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 10-03-09 23:26
Avlid wrote:
I think their "discussion" is kind of cute XD

I think that you currently "lerning" is kind of cute. The discussion on the other hand is interesting and potentially useful; it's not thread hijacking, it's thread evolution.

Author

Futility

God
Posted on 11-03-09 01:45
I see your end of the argument, mosh, but I still think 10 is a little much. Yes there are different time zones, but the fact remains that the 8 man team we've had until recently hasn't had too much trouble dealing with their moderation duties. In fact, I find that I often have too much free time while perusing the forum and wish that I could do something more to help out.

It's my opinion that the real deficit is in the developer department. Now don't get me wrong, I hold the current team in highest respect, but the fact remains that they are rarely on and not much gets done. Maybe they're busy or maybe they've just grown tired of HBH and moved on. Either way, I believe it's time for some new blood. Mosh has been recently added to the team and has already implemented numerous new things. I'm not saying we should kick samurai, Richo, and the others out, but the addition of a few new guys couldn't hurt, right?

More than doubling the team would, in my opinion, be rather useless. You'd be stuck with too many people having too little to do. Or I'm reading it wrong and you're saying the current team is "disbanded" and a new ten man team is assembled. But I doubt that's the case. Anyway, if it must still be 10, how about creating a new usergroup with a different color username, so that you can quickly distinguish mods from admins and PM them accordingly.

Whatever the case may be, this thing is already in motion.

i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh11/zanimabean/Zim.png
Futility91@hotmail.com Futility91
Author

What_A_Legend

Active User
Posted on 11-03-09 13:49
The development team is big enougth I feel. The problem is that the code is not well laid out (joys of the orignal fusion build) this therefore slows down the development speed.

Another problem is that a lot of the admins work full time development jobs and come home from work and the last thing they want to do after a stressfull day is to do more dev work.

In regards to your comments regarding Richo and Samurai these users are active on and off and do a lot of work behind the scenecs rather than obvious system changes. These guys carry out maintenece on the servers as when it is needed.

I think the easiest way to get new content on the site is to shut the site down for a weekend (as previously done) and hold a hacking competition for members along side a 'develop hbh a feature' competition and the admins can work throughout the weekend to add new functionality to the site.

In regards to new challanges please feel free to submit any challanges you code/feaatures and we (admins) will review these challanges and post them if we feel they are good enougth/needed by the site.

Programming challanges are hard for admins to run as it requires admins to compile the executables/run scripts/read code and rate. We will most certainly receive entries in launguages we do not code in and are therefore unable to mark fairly to award members points on this would ne unfair to other members.

I believe some one mentioned something like a 'project euler section' would this not fall in to the 'Timed Challanges' section?

Also on Moshbats suggestion I feel 10 is a little extreme maybe 4-5 new forum Mods as admins will always mod forums if they see something that needs addressing.

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b153/Golden_Lemur/legendsig.png

www.hellboundhackers.org/sig/r/7039.png

Edited by What_A_Legend on 11-03-09 14:38
what_a_l3g3nd@hotmail.com www.wayneshears.com
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 11-03-09 16:36
The projectEuler style I mentioned would not be timed, this way people could program in non browser languages such as C and Java. These challenges would be dynamic and would require a program to do multiple calculations that would take alot of time (if not forever) to do by the pen & paper method.

An example of such challenges so far:

Easy: (5 points?)
Code

Find the n-th prime.  Where N = random number between 1000-10000;

A little harder: (10 points?)
Code

Find the sum of a random 500 digit number.

Harder: (15 points?)
Code

Find the sum of a random 500 digit number.

on to

(100+ points)
Code

Solve the following 50 algebraic problems then find the sum of all
 answers and  then solve them into the following equation
 (where x = your solution so far)

x^6+x*x+x/2

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

Edited by yours31f on 11-03-09 16:37
Author

What_A_Legend

Active User
Posted on 11-03-09 16:47
The most recent timed challange...doesn't appear to have a time.

And by making the user post back to the site we can try and minimize the passing around of answers.

I feel this is more than sufficent enougth.

i19.photobucket.com/albums/b153/Golden_Lemur/legendsig.png

www.hellboundhackers.org/sig/r/7039.png
what_a_l3g3nd@hotmail.com www.wayneshears.com
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 11-03-09 17:12
yours31f wrote:
this way people could program in non browser languages such as C and Java.

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 11-03-09 17:18
COM wrote:
yours31f wrote:
this way people could program in non browser languages such as C and Java.

What the heck is that supposed to mean?

I believe he's trying to say that you don't need to make the program submit the answer for you, which you have to do in the timed challenges.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 11-03-09 18:32
This way, people who didn't know PHP/Curl or python ect could do some of the challenges too.

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 11-03-09 18:39
yours31f wrote:
This way, people who didn't know PHP/Curl or python ect could do some of the challenges too.

WHAT THE FUCK?

You can JUST as easily use non-"browser languages" (bullshit term, stop making up bullshit) to complete timed challenges.

You are so full of crap man.

I could point out all the factual errors in your posts, one by one, but it would take much too long. There are too many.

All I have to say is stop making up shit. Don't try to input/change ANYTHING on HBH before you know what you're talking about.

[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 11-03-09 19:05
I'd like to see you complete the timed challenges with only C++. When you do, let me see the script and I will believe you.

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 11-03-09 19:16
yours31f wrote:
I'd like to see you complete the timed challenges with only C++. When you do, let me see the script and I will believe you.

What, using cURL++ to grab data, using a bit of Regex to search through data for string/number, apply basic math and post back?

Jesus-fucking-rocket science.

Oh, by the way, a C++ program isn't called a script, cause it is _not_ a scripting language. Happy programming.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
[/s
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 11-03-09 19:27
yours31f, once again spyware is right for the same reason I wondered what you were on about. You may just as well complete them in any of the languages you presume people are unable to use. If one is proficient in the lanuage of one's choice then it should be doable. And don't forget that the challenges are also there to learn from, if you know C, C++ or java, then learn to use them so that you are able to complete them. If you don't want anyone to learn some then why not just petition the admins to just hand out free points to everyone every now and then?
It's bullshit to assume that just because they work mainly with the web that php with curl is the only way, you're going to have to learn how to use it anyhow even if it's easier and you're going to have to solve whatever need be solved. And what the fuck does browsers have to do with this? Sure you can setup a server and PHP and then run it by requesting the page through use of your browser. On the other hand you can also choose not to do it that way.
Personally I've solved quite a few with C++ and the rest with PHP without using cURL. If I can do it, so can others and I'm sure that spyware is able to do so as well. So stop making up terms and assumptions. Especially seeing as your assumption says that people who learn more about their chosen language are too dumb to be able to actually use it, insulting.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 11-03-09 19:55
Ok, I see where you two are coming from. I am learning sockets now I and I apologize for my past ignorance.

Author

Uber0n

Hacker Level 3
Posted on 12-03-09 17:59
yours31f wrote:

I have beaten timed 1-6 so far, and I haven't used PHP, cURL or Python.

img230.imageshack.us/img230/724/uber0nsig3hj6.gif
http://uber0n.web. . .
Nope http://uber0n.webs.com/
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3