HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Programming

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Author

Collaboration

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 24-02-11 00:42
Dear programmers,

I know that some of you are bored out of your mind. And to tell you the truth, I am at least as bored as you are. So my question is, why don't we put a HBH programming team together and work on some fun project(s)?

If you are interested let me know in a post down below. We can do any project in whatever language you guys feel like using. Also, keep in mind that there are some contests going on out there with some prizes involved!

ex.
Ericsson is having a Widget Award Contest with a prize pot of 30 000+ Euros.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,
//DH

Edited by Demons Halo on 24-02-11 00:43
base_dropper@hotmail.com www.demonshalo.com
Author

RE: Collaboration

-god-

Your avatar

Posted on 24-02-11 00:48
hmm.... could be interesting.... unless this particular demographic doesn't enjoy programming for programmings sake? Personally i can't be arsed going to the bother of doing that. Money or no, there's no guaranteed end result.
Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 24-02-11 08:07
-god- wrote:
hmm.... could be interesting.... unless this particular demographic doesn't enjoy programming for programmings sake? Personally i can't be arsed going to the bother of doing that. Money or no, there's no guaranteed end result.

I think most people here enjoy programming. Otherwise they shouldn't be here Pfft
Author

cyber-guard

Posted on 24-02-11 12:17
I've been already thinking about this. Entering any contest is stupid though, I doubt you will be able to co-ordinate group of people who haven't worked together before, to meet deadline etc.
If you are serious about this, first you will need to plan properly. What is to be made, in what time frame, in what language, and how do will go around implementing multiple languages, how do you separate roles/tasks... When you have a reasonably well thought out plan, only then you can get the ball rolling.

Check our new md5 cracker:http://www.cyber-. . .d5-cracker
http://www.cyber-. . .
http://twitter.co. . .
[mail]contact@cyber-guard.co.uk[/mail]
http://www.cyber-guard.co.uk/
Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 24-02-11 20:51
cyber-guard wrote:
I've been already thinking about this. Entering any contest is stupid though, I doubt you will be able to co-ordinate group of people who haven't worked together before, to meet deadline etc.
If you are serious about this, first you will need to plan properly. What is to be made, in what time frame, in what language, and how do will go around implementing multiple languages, how do you separate roles/tasks... When you have a reasonably well thought out plan, only then you can get the ball rolling.

Agreed!
We dont have to enter a contest! lets just have a fun project to work on together. It could be something that HBH can use or any other community. Maybe an Open Source platform or a framework of some sort?!

what do you think? any project suggestions?

suggestion 1: a hacking game of some sort? where u enter the world of hacking and get missions delivered to you, etc.

Edited by Demons Halo on 24-02-11 20:52
Author

cyber-guard

Posted on 24-02-11 21:03
Well it could be anything really, language wise I would stick to PHP (a lot of people know it at decent level around here). Second reason for php is that if we make something usable, we could actually implement it on hbh... Another thing you want to take into equation is scalability, although at the beginning, there may be only 5 active coders, as the work progresses and something of reasonable quality is actually produced, more people should join in, making the development more rapid.
If you have any ideas, just throw them in and we'll see Smile

Author

j4m32

Your avatar

Posted on 24-02-11 22:55
That's where it becomes messy, with lots more developers, the language specifics do not really matter at this point there are two other things to think about:

i) Clash of coding style can become an issue, messy code tends to be cumbersome to sort out.
So something has to be set down as a common style to maintain and someone must check the consistency of the source. [Maybe peer reviewed / more experienced developers in the group]

ii) What kind of source control/backup do you have in mind?

Last thing you want are random major changes, for exmaple: that leave compromising security holes and no means of rolling back. So the best thing would be an SVN (or similar) repository and any developers must be familiar with how to operate it, registered, and be responsible for their section(s) of code and commit/checkout to and from the repository .

Otherwise, a good idea. Smile

Jim,
Author

ADIGA

Mad User
Posted on 24-02-11 23:06
<?php
// Simple Project answer script by ADIGA.
// Please do not use unless your an HBH Member.
if(isset($_GET['project']) && $_GET['project'] !='')
{
$project_lang=$_GET['project'];
if($project_lang=='PHP')
{
$say='Count Me In!!!';
}
else
{
$say='Damn, Whats is wrong with you people! I Hate you all.';
}
echo $say;
}
else
{
echo 'Please set the programming language for the project!';
}
?>

www.hackthis.co.uk/users/images/210/1:1/50/56ba5115dde42ff71f426149a02fc0b8.jpg

Edited by ADIGA on 24-02-11 23:07
adiga_php@hotmail.com adiga.hacker@yahoo.com www.adiga.ws
Author

chess_rock

Apprentice
Posted on 25-02-11 00:47
j4m32 wrote:
i) Clash of coding style can become an issue, messy code tends to be cumbersome to sort out.

That's why when groups of programmers start programming something, they create a default coding style. It would be fundamental that each programmer created proper documentation of each element they created so that the project could be developed properly without many problems. Using the GNU standards for C would be really interesting, as GNU codes are very readable.

Why do people hate C and love PHP that much? Shock Why not program some modular stuff in C? Wink But you know... Just saying...
Author

ADIGA

Mad User
Posted on 25-02-11 01:52

Why do people hate C and love PHP that much? Shock Why not program some modular stuff in C? Wink But you know... Just saying...

for me its not that i think that PHP is better, but for me it was easier to learn with great functionalty for the company i work for (2000 employees and +50 locations all over the country) it was a bit hard to go and install for all, so a simple http server on the intranet would do the trick Smile

Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 25-02-11 04:22
cyber-guard wrote:
Well it could be anything really, language wise I would stick to PHP (a lot of people know it at decent level around here). Second reason for php is that if we make something usable, we could actually implement it on hbh...

I <3 PHP, so PHP it is!

j4m32 wrote:
So something has to be set down as a common style to maintain and someone must check the consistency of the source. [Maybe peer reviewed / more experienced developers in the group]

ii) What kind of source control/backup do you have in mind?

Last thing you want are random major changes, for exmaple: that leave compromising security holes and no means of rolling back. So the best thing would be an SVN (or similar) repository and any developers must be familiar with how to operate it, registered, and be responsible for their section(s) of code and commit/checkout to and from the repository .

i) I (or someone more experienced) can make up a list of coding conventions. it should be pretty straight forward and comments + some documentation should be be included in all classes.

ii) There are tons of OS solutions out there for that kinda problems. A cron job should take care of backups, so we don't have to be too "fancy".

We can use a simple MVC approach. That way, we can give every programmer a controller to work on. And once the controller is done, a ftp simple upload should be more than enough!

ADIGA wrote:
Code

<?php
   function users($user){
         if($user == "ADIGA")
                              return "sure";
         else
                              return "You're in too";
   }
?>

Edited by Demons Halo on 25-02-11 04:24
Author

cyber-guard

Posted on 25-02-11 12:48
chess_rock wrote:

My preference has nothing to do with love of PHP, in fact I learned it only out of necessity. Nonetheless it is a matter of a fact that project in PHP will attract right from the start more skilled people then C (around here), simple as that. Hence the preference.

Demons Halo wrote:
i) I (or someone more experienced) can make up a list of coding conventions. it should be pretty straight forward and comments + some documentation should be be included in all classes.

ii) There are tons of OS solutions out there for that kinda problems. A cron job should take care of backups, so we don't have to be too "fancy".

We can use a simple MVC approach. That way, we can give every programmer a controller to work on. And once the controller is done, a ftp simple upload should be more than enough!

i) writing some simple guidelines shouldn't be a problem, besides I believe a lot of those materials are already out there, so it's just matter of finding a good set of rules to follow.

ii) I'd personally vote for git as a version control

MVC is givenSmile

Author

ADIGA

Mad User
Posted on 25-02-11 16:09
i would say that the best way to start is to set what the project should be,
if its php it could be anything starting from simple scripts and going up until a full complicated CMS with forums and many things (not saying this is what we will do).

starting with the structure of the database (if it needs any), then splitting tasks, ans assigning vars and methods to be used.

do a simple or a partial coding each on his task (with comments) and then checking them and start to set the base of the unified coding style deppending on weaknesses and strengths of what we coded.

that way we could find the best style to use in any project.

just an openion.
and no one say anything about spelling mistakes please Pfft

Author

cyber-guard

Posted on 25-02-11 20:25
ADIGA wrote:
i would say that the best way to start is to set what the project should be,
if its php it could be anything starting from simple scripts and going up until a full complicated CMS with forums and many things (not saying this is what we will do).

I agree with that, bring in some ideasSmile and what's the purpose of making simple scripts with a team of people. And there is plenty of CMS solutions, why be repetitive, try to come up with something unique.

do a simple or a partial coding each on his task (with comments) and then checking them and start to set the base of the unified coding style deppending on weaknesses and strengths of what we coded.

that way we could find the best style to use in any project.

just an openion.
and no one say anything about spelling mistakes please Pfft

No, that's definitely wrong way to start, that means that the project would not start with uniform coding style. You want have certain rules/conventions before you write a single line.

Anyhow now would be the time to start throwing in ideas, so anyone interested feel free to propose anything...

Author

ADIGA

Mad User
Posted on 25-02-11 22:25
as a simple yet not already made idea for a php script ...
how about a news broadcast script for multiple websites,
it could be made of 3 parts, one to add the news to a database and then uses curl to submit it to a client script on the other websites and keep track of those who got it or not.

the second part would be the client side the would get the curl request from the main script and then saves the data into a text file or xml file or what ever.

the third part would be the display script that the website admin could include in his pages to show the news,

a script like that would be a fast way for admins who have more than one website or those who want to show news about certin stuff.

to make it more advanced we could make Categories that the admin could subscribe to and only recieves news in that only.

Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 25-02-11 23:40
Here are my suggestions:

I) A hacking game of some sort --> Enter the world of hacking and get missions delivered to you, etc. (points for each accomplished mission)

II) Open Source CMS / Communication tool for schools (replacement for the shitty Moodle crap every school uses)

III) HTML5 framework. PHP/JS library for creative usage of HTML5 (especially the Canvas tag)

IV) 3D game

what do u think?
Author

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 25-02-11 23:43
Demons Halo wrote:
III) HTML5 framework. PHP/JS library for creative usage of HTML5 (especially the Canvas tag)

what do u think?

This is the only interesting thing in your list/in this thread.

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
[center]�Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?� - Ebert[/ce
Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 26-02-11 21:20
spyware wrote:
Demons Halo wrote:

what do u think?

This is the only interesting thing in your list/in this thread.

I'm really surpirsed that there is no useful framework out there yet! there should be one, especially if you consider the amount of new tags HTML5 provides.
Author

Arabian
Banned

Apprentice
Posted on 27-02-11 01:21
Code
int Bullet_To_Head = sweet, sweet release;
String post = post;
If (post = post + userAdiga)
{
   system.out.println "Oh God, please, no."
   return Bullet_To_Head;
}

G'bye y'all! I was an asshole, So korg banned me.

Edited by Arabian on 27-02-11 01:21
Author

Demons Halo

Apprentice
Posted on 27-02-11 03:46
Vector-fusion wrote:
Demons Halo wrote:
I'm really surpirsed that there is no useful framework out there yet! there should be one, especially if you consider the amount of new tags HTML5 provides.

Did you even try doing this ?
http://tinyurl.co. . .

ooh yes I did, and I've tried some of them...
The question is: did you see the word USEFUL?! or did you just ignore it in order to show off your tinyurl skills?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >