View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: Boot.ini DualBoot Win/Lin

Your avatar

Posted on 29-08-07 00:52
ThorsDecree wrote:
no, this bios is WEIRD. The only option it displays is press tab for system messages, which displays my setup (with no options to change it) and then prompts for esc to continue booting. Nothing I press on the "gateway" splash screen does anything, the only option is tab, which, again, is a dead end.

Any experience with this oneQ

What model Gateway is it?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-08-07 01:00
It is a gateway "select" with AMBIOS from 1999. I don't know anything else about the computer model; the bios doesn't say anything and half the system is parts from other computers. It's an amd athlon 650MHz original processor in the thing, if that narrows it down any... AMBIOS date 12/5/99

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-08-07 01:15
Does it still have the original labels on the back? That will tell you the model number. If it doesn't have the original serial label on the back, you can check towards the bottom of the system for another label that will have the model number on it. With it being that old, you probably need a BIOS update, anyways.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-08-07 01:22
"LP MINI TOWER KAD 650"

I think that maybe this bios is not reading my slave. It did not show any slaves in bios; only primary master (win drive, hda) and primary slave (cd drive)

I'm reinstalling Xubuntu on /dev/hdb1

I'm also trying to make a Grub bootfloppy, I found a few promising articles.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-08-07 01:28
ThorsDecree wrote:
"LP MINI TOWER KAD 650"

I think that maybe this bios is not reading my slave. It did not show any slaves in bios; only primary master (win drive, hda) and primary slave (cd drive)

Oh, yeah, that Gateway's a dinosaur. Pfft I can't find anything on that model on their website.

Are you sure you have your jumpers set correctly on the master HDD and slave HDD?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-08-07 01:33
Yes, the 6.4gb hdb is a slave and the 10g hda is a master, I made sure to check that the other night when I was putting it all together Pfft cuz I didn't have them right once and it took me about 2 hours to figure that out rofl

On a side note, if I don't get it fixed with a GRUB floppy I'll open 'er back up and make sure of the jumpers... No harm checking, except that it takes about 10 minutes and a few ounces of blood to get the darn things out.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-08-07 01:47
ThorsDecree wrote:
On a side note, if I don't get it fixed with a GRUB floppy I'll open 'er back up and make sure of the jumpers... No harm checking, except that it takes about 10 minutes and a few ounces of blood to get the darn things out.

In that case, I would definitely invest 5 bucks in a decent pair of needle-nose pliers. Smile

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-08-07 01:58
they don't bend like bio-tools such as my hand... =p

i reinstalled and now i have grub =p

o well, it works now so no matter how I fixed it Pfft

Although I'm gonna make a GRUB backup floppy just in case this ever happens again lol

I can manually edit the menu.lst file, right?

[edit] Still requires boot disk, but now the boot disk goes to GRUB when I select "boot from hd"

Without boot disk I get "error 21"... but it works, so thats good. I'll just use boot disk every time I boot, like I did before
[/edit]

THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP, IT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

Edited by on 29-08-07 02:03
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 29-08-07 02:03
ThorsDecree wrote:
I can manually edit the menu.lst file, right?

As long as you keep the same general structure of the file then, yes, you can manually edit it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2