HellBound Hackers | Computer General | OS specific

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Author

RE: Best Linux Distribution

stranac

God
Posted on 09-01-10 20:13
COM wrote:
Hi there guys, I 'll just make use of this thread here to ask something useful.

You see, I've started playing Diablo 2 again and was thinking of either going for barbarian or a necromancer. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for which class and build to go for. I think it'd be nice to try a bit of an unusual build for once.
I'm playing on linux btw so it's relevant to the topic and since OP might choose to play D2 on it as well, I think it'd be a good idea to know what type of builds are recommended.

Thanks in advance, good character name suggestions are always welcome as well.

Watch what you're posting... People could get a stroke from laughing to much, you know.
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 11-01-10 20:34
stranac wrote:
COM wrote:

You see, I've started playing Diablo 2 again and was thinking of either going for barbarian or a necromancer. I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions for which class and build to go for. I think it'd be nice to try a bit of an unusual build for once.
I'm playing on linux btw so it's relevant to the topic and since OP might choose to play D2 on it as well, I think it'd be a good idea to know what type of builds are recommended.

Watch what you're posting... People could get a stroke from laughing to much, you know.

Damn, that was close.

@OP: Start with Ubuntu. For me, it was the easiest transition. Then. make sure that you don't stick with it, and you find others.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 11-01-10 20:35
stranac wrote:
COM wrote:

Damn, that was close.

@OP: Start with Ubuntu. For me, it was the easiest transition. Then. make sure that you don't stick with it, and you find others.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 16-01-10 21:14
chess_rock wrote:
Hey there,

I'll just make use of this thread to ask something useful. Is ext4 stable enough for installing an ubuntu 9.10? Do you reccomend using ext4 or ext3?

Yes it is stable to use since its default in 9.10. I would recommend you do manually partition and set / to ext4 /boot to ext3 /home to ext4 and add your swap

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-01-10 02:25
I didnt read the whole thread, but having used unix to length there is no 'Best Distro'. Your asking on a hacking forum so i would expect backtrack to be the generic answer.

To put it another way you just asked "Which windows is better" They are all different, Play with them all, see which one suits you.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-01-10 02:44
mambo wrote:
I didnt read the whole thread, but having used unix to length there is no 'Best Distro'. Your asking on a hacking forum so i would expect backtrack to be the generic answer.

To put it another way you just asked "Which windows is better" They are all different, Play with them all, see which one suits you.

backtrack is a tool, if aske4 dwhat was th ebest platform for hacking then backtrack is certainly the answer ( it has most stuff there) I am not 100% certain of this I have used backtrack and it is definately my opinion that it is not the best distro.

fine if I wanted to try a new technique it would be useful to have tools there but I could just as easily install said tools on another distro.

saying backtrack is like saying whats the best os? since this is a machdonals foroum it's the software that runs on your tills.

I'm ranting here but the point is backtrack is not for general use it's for pen testing, and fit for little else!

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-01-10 02:44
Unlike the beautiful things that come from the diversity of Linux distributions, the "diversity" that microsoft offers can be explained mostly by "give more cash, get more useless things".

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-01-10 03:08
wolfmankurd wrote:
[quote]mambo wrote:

saying backtrack is like saying whats the best os? since this is a machdonals foroum it's the software that runs on your tills.

I have no idea what this means, but the latest back track release now includes apt-get which means it can be used for general use =]

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-01-10 03:33
mambo wrote:
I have no idea what this means, but the latest back track release now includes apt-get which means it can be used for general use =]

oh it has apt-get wow. I could compile apt-get to run on my ds. does that make nds-linux a good general use distro? No. If you think it does then obviously you're not fully aware of how packages work.

People don't think installing software is so easy on say ubuntu cause it has apt-get, it's cause ubuntu hjas a massive repository for apt-get to access! That repository has packages designes just for ubuntu including it's layout and in particular it's filesystem layout.(config files go where they should binaries land in the proper direcotries and the gnome menu is properly edited)

I just posted in a thread about not being hostile on forums, but ffs, think before you type.

Slackware comes with no repo software* yet it's a better general purpose distro than backtrack, why? because:
1) It's designed to be used as such.
2) Extensive repositories exist for it.

* Let me qualify this you can get slapt-get which is slackwares answer to apt-get.
But some choose to use nothing and just read the changelog every so often and compile/unpack binaries into the proper place by hand.

Edited by on 17-01-10 03:41
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-01-10 03:46
deviant-route wrote:
chess_rock wrote:
Hey there,

I'll just make use of this thread to ask something useful. Is ext4 stable enough for installing an ubuntu 9.10? Do you reccomend using ext4 or ext3?

Yes it is stable to use since its default in 9.10. I would recommend you do manually partition and set / to ext4 /boot to ext3 /home to ext4 and add your swap

Just a random question.

Why would you use ext3 on a boot partition?

My argument, is that it is unnecessary to have the journaling as its wasted room and slightly (even if undetectable by observation) slower than ext2.

The stability gains with ext3 just arent important on the boot partition.

Whats your defense?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-01-10 03:57
I'm not to hot in this area but given the only very slight differences in performance why would you not want the extra protection of journalling?

also reiser FS all the way! the man murdered his wife!

Edited by on 17-01-10 04:00
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-01-10 06:07
wolfmankurd wrote:
I'm not to hot in this area but given the only very slight differences in performance why would you not want the extra protection of journalling?

also reiser FS all the way! the man murdered his wife!

Im not hot either in the area. Though just never found a reason to use it, or been convinced its better. Thats actually why I want a solid response. But either one will work.

And lol at reiser, to bad it wont get much support anymore.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 17-01-10 16:54
stdio wrote:
deviant-route wrote:
chess_rock wrote:
Hey there,

Just a random question.

Why would you use ext3 on a boot partition?

My argument, is that it is unnecessary to have the journaling as its wasted room and slightly (even if undetectable by observation) slower than ext2.

The stability gains with ext3 just arent important on the boot partition.

Whats your defense?

Well to be honest i was told by experience Linux Server admins that using the ext3 over ext2 or even ext4 provide better stability and protection for /boot

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 18-01-10 17:15
sometimes experienced linux server admins is about as useful as experienced windows server admins.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-01-10 02:57
wolfmankurd wrote:
mambo wrote:

backtrack is a tool, if aske4 dwhat was th ebest platform for hacking then backtrack is certainly the answer ( it has most stuff there) I am not 100% certain of this I have used backtrack and it is definately my opinion that it is not the best distro.

fine if I wanted to try a new technique it would be useful to have tools there but I could just as easily install said tools on another distro.

I'm ranting here but the point is backtrack is not for general use it's for pen testing, and fit for little else!

huh? lol, Your joking right? First of all BT3 was based off Slackware, now BT4 is based on Ubuntu intrepid so they arent tools they are distros that have tools. Theyre using the Linux kernal.

And to say that its only good for pentesting is like saying its only good for hacking..seeing as you should be able to do one to do the other? Maybe you should check BT4's Live CD out before commenting on it not being a Linux distro.

metasploit is a tool, perhaps your mixing the two up?

Edit- To stay on topic, I agree with everyone else and that is that there is no "best" linux distro out there. Ubuntu is good to start with, but in reality linux is no more then a kernal so..

Dont run out and DL BT just because its based off intrepid, even though it bases its graphical enviroment of Ubuntu its definitely not a beginners distro.

Edited by on 19-01-10 03:18
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-01-10 08:46
Someone, in one of the previous posts, suggested installing Ubuntu but not stick with it... may I ask why do that?
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-01-10 09:05
So? Then what distribution should one use if he wants to learn more advanced stuff?
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 19-01-10 09:18
none stick with windows

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 20-01-10 05:25
If you want to get your hands dirty go with Gentoo or Arch, better yet forget linux and go freebsd

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2