Follow us on Twitter!
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few. - Winston Churchill
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Navigation
Home
HellBoundHackers Main:
HellBoundHackers Find:
HellBoundHackers Information:
Learn
Communicate
Submit
Shop
Challenges
HellBoundHackers Exploit:
HellBoundHackers Programming:
HellBoundHackers Think:
HellBoundHackers Track:
HellBoundHackers Patch:
HellBoundHackers Other:
HellBoundHackers Need Help?
Other
Members Online
Total Online: 70
Guests Online: 69
Members Online: 1

Registered Members: 82803
Newest Member: Tired_of_being_ignorant
Latest Articles
View Thread

HellBound Hackers | Computer General | Webmasters Lounge

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Author

Advancing my career.

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 02-09-08 21:48
I got to thinking that, well , my job sucks, and i have this other skill that most others in my city don't have. Web design. So, I want to leave fast food, and get into freelance web-design. So, does anyone have any advice for getting into the field? I have some prior costumers that will help get my name out, but I think I need more exposure, and yes this summer I did a few sites , anywhere from $33-$50 an hour. So, I know that there is money in it, but I am not sure what else I should do, besides continue learning more and more. oh, and by the way, yes I still need to set up a site for my portfolio.

EDIT: and please don't bother flaming, I am looking for real advice.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

img259.imageshack.us/img259/3713/sigr.png

Edited by yours31f on 02-09-08 21:50
yours31f@live.com yours31f@yahoo.com rpwd.info
Author

RE: Advancing my career.

spyware

God
Warn Level: 90
Posted on 02-09-08 21:57
Connections, professionalism and efficiency are important.

Also; how old are you again?

img507.imageshack.us/img507/3580/spynewsig3il1.png
"The chowner of property." - Zeph
[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
but it is suicidal for nations in the long term.
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
http://bitsofspy.net
Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 02-09-08 21:59
i agree with you, and to answer your question, i am 17.

Debugging is what programmers do to beta software to make it take up more room on your hard drive if it is running too efficiently.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-09-08 22:08
Hey, im am 17 aswell, and want to start web design company (freelance stuff mainly).

First off you should find out what are your strengths and weaknesses.

Then once you find them out , work on your strengths to create your own site as a way to get work and to be part of a portfolio.

Then work on improving your weaknesses, e.g. if its coding in a certain langauge improve it.

Then start putting your site out on the net, on forums etc and advertise as much as possible, and maybe put some flyers out about your site.

Thanks,
CD
p.s. if you want to do some work together pm me Wink

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 02-09-08 22:10
Coder Disaster wrote:Blah

What have you like, EVER, accomplished?

[small]
Widespread intellectual and moral docility may be convenient for leaders in the short term,
- Carl Sagan
“Since the grid is inescapable, what were the earlier lasers about? Does the corridor have a sense of humor?” - Ebert
[/s
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-09-08 22:16
get a good CV
dont be afraid to sell yourself (no one else will)
dont bullshit in interviews it comes back to bite you in the arse

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-09-08 22:17
@spyware
Fuck off , you dont know anything about me, if you want information about sites i have worked on PM me.

Edited by on 02-09-08 22:17
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-09-08 22:18
I need to get into something too. I'm kind of afraid that without college it's not going to happen. Odd jobs are ok, I have found a few sites where you bid on stuff to code for people.

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 02-09-08 22:23
Coder Disaster wrote:
@spyware
Fuck off , you dont know anything about me, if you want information about sites i have worked on PM me.

If you need to prove yourself just post it public. I'm not taking PMs anymore. Idiot filter.

[small]
- Carl Sagan
[/s
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-09-08 22:25
I dont need to prove myself. If he wants help or to work with me i can provide him with samples.

Author

spyware

God
Posted on 02-09-08 22:27
Coder Disaster wrote:
I dont need to prove myself. If he wants help or to work with me i can provide him with samples.

Maybe he'd (or she'd, who knows) work with you if you weren't such an ass-act.

Although, you might just totally fit in with yours31f.

Have fun, "disaster" (that's a NEGATIVE word by the way).

[small]
- Carl Sagan
[/s
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-09-08 22:30
Lol, good one you really insulted me, i was offering help , if he wants he can take it . Im not here to be nice or to prove my skills.

Author

ynori7

God
Posted on 02-09-08 22:31
yours31f wrote:
I got to thinking that, well , my job sucks, and i have this other skill that most others in my city don't have. Web design. So, I want to leave fast food, and get into freelance web-design. So, does anyone have any advice for getting into the field? I have some prior costumers that will help get my name out, but I think I need more exposure, and yes this summer I did a few sites , anywhere from $33-$50 an hour. So, I know that there is money in it, but I am not sure what else I should do, besides continue learning more and more. oh, and by the way, yes I still need to set up a site for my portfolio.

What level of web design skill do you have? A little HTML and javascript wont get you very far as those are easy enough for just about anyone to learn.

I would say that the best thing you could do right now is to finish your C++ site. If you get it up and running it'd serve as a good sample of your work.

Just out of curiosity, what fast food place do you work at?

halls-of-valhalla.org/images/affiliateLogo.png voodoorage.halls-of-valhalla.org/images/smallLogo.png
i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff338/ynori77/archenemysig1.jpg
ynori7 http://halls-of-valhalla.org
Author

Your avatar

Posted on 02-09-08 23:38
yours31f wrote:
I got to thinking that, well , my job sucks, and i have this other skill that most others in my city don't have. Web design. So, I want to leave fast food, and get into freelance web-design. So, does anyone have any advice for getting into the field?

Alright, well... I work in web design, so here goes.

I have some prior costumers that will help get my name out, but I think I need more exposure

You're right. Set up a professional profile on any of the networking sites abound online (LinkedIn, Plaxo, etc.) and start meeting people. Best way to market your web design, though, is with a website... selling your services. Hit up freelancer sites online and do some gigs... then, add them to your portfolio. Don't even think of trying to be halfway successful with it until you've done at least 10 professional-grade websites (db backends, complex CSS/JS-based navs and designs, even a little Flash would be nice).

and yes this summer I did a few sites , anywhere from $33-$50 an hour.

A few sites won't cut it. Do more... freelancers sites are your friend when it comes to getting work on your doorstep. Also, once you meet the above criteria regarding professional-grade websites, raise your hourly price. You look cheap.

So, I know that there is money in it, but I am not sure what else I should do, besides continue learning more and more.

If you're still learning, your work will reflect it. Polish your skills, then break into the field. When you're a freelancer, there are no entry-level positions... you have to come out of the gates being proficient.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 03-09-08 03:39
thank you for the insight. I REALLY appreciate it. I needed the help.

@ ynori7 : I believe your right, I talked to some people at a local tattoo shop and they were interested but they want to see my portfoilio, which isn't too great right now, so I told them I would build one and bring it to them, so I guess it's time for me to get busy coding.
and to answer your question, I work at whataburger.

So this is my offer, I am willing to do (at the current time) 5 BASIC sites just to refresh, Please note that these will not be extremely detailed as they will pertain to my learning of new languages (such as php and sql), so if you have a smaller personal site that you want made just pm me the details and i will get working on them.

I figure I will get some free sites in, to get a portfolio going.

any other advice is welcome.

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 03-09-08 03:53
yours31f wrote:
So this is my offer, I am willing to do (at the current time) 5 BASIC sites just to refresh, Please note that these will not be extremely detailed as they will pertain to my learning of new languages (such as php and sql), so if you have a smaller personal site that you want made just pm me the details and i will get working on them.

I don't want you to do a site for me, but you could do a site to better yourself. Design a basic blog in PHP with a MySQL backend, documenting your hurdles along the way... then, that will be your starting blog content. You'll also learn a bit about web security along the way, while you're protecting those GET variables and blog comments... not to mention your blog manager / CMS.

Also, that will give you a tool with which to document your later work, which will give your work more credibility and give you a regular status as to your progress.

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 03-09-08 03:58
ok. i agree. So anyone know of any good e-books on the topic?

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 03-09-08 04:03
For web design , sorry no, but for web coding my favorite are
tizag.com
and
w3schools.com

Author

yours31f

Elite
Posted on 03-09-08 04:05
sorry i meant php and sql

Author

Your avatar

Posted on 03-09-08 04:06
Then definetly tizag and w3schools , also phpfreaks.com , the forum and tutorials are good.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >